Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times

Advertisements

Somebody run this by the central planners and see what they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
I wish I had the time to go through all the blatant distortions contained in the article. For just one example, in 2008 when oil prices began to rise to a point that made much off continental shelf (OCS) drilling profitable oil companies struggled to hire enough employees to work their rigs, frankly, I don't believe nor have I seen an evidence that there are 190,000 workers with the skills to work on an offshore rig. Further the idea that increased drilling can reduce U.S. dependence of foreign oil by 92% is risible at best.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
another field that would help create jobs is the expansion of our off shore fishing industry. Too bad that is being fought by our good conservationist friends as well.

Nita
I'm sure the fishermen in the gulf coast love those oil wells, and now more than ever.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Why create actual drilling jobs, when we can create make believe "green" jobs.

Those green jobs are awesome because you basically file a claim with the government saying that you are turning pig manure into fuel and the government pays you! Awesome!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I wish I had the time to go through all the blatant distortions contained in the article. For just one example, in 2008 when oil prices began to rise to a point that made much off continental shelf (OCS) drilling profitable oil companies struggled to hire enough employees to work their rigs, frankly, I don't believe nor have I seen an evidence that there are 190,000 workers with the skills to work on an offshore rig. Further the idea that increased drilling can reduce U.S. dependence of foreign oil by 92% is risible at best.
To quote the conservative Cato Institute on that issue...

"OPEC market power, [Bush] contends, can only be combated by energy independence secured by increased domestic production. It's one of the central premises of what passes for Republican energy policy. And it is beyond nonsense. To paraphrase Jeremy Bentham, it's nonsense on stilts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Somebody run this by the central planners and see what they think.
I'm sure it has been run dozens of times before Obama took office.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Why create actual drilling jobs, when we can create make believe "green" jobs.

Those green jobs are awesome because you basically file a claim with the government saying that you are turning pig manure into fuel and the government pays you! Awesome!
well hey, if it looks good on paper...

Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
To quote the conservative Cato Institute on that issue...

"OPEC market power, [Bush] contends, can only be combated by energy independence secured by increased domestic production. It's one of the central premises of what passes for Republican energy policy. And it is beyond nonsense. To paraphrase Jeremy Bentham, it's nonsense on stilts."

I'm sure it has been run dozens of times before Obama took office.
Why is it nonsense?

If we switch to CNG cars, drill in ANWR and deeper in the gulf, then also drill in low perm oil-shales and gas-shales, we can easily be energy independent.
Use clean coal technologies and nuclear power as well.

We have the capabilities as a country, we just need to get on the right track.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is a better idea and will revitalize a technological revolution with countless jobs instead of more environmental destruction and a dead-end.

Cutting the Cord: The World of Wireless Electricity « WellHome
You're referencing electricity transmission. Oil drilling addresses the supply of fuel to generate electricity. You can't transmit electricity that doesn't exist, and you can't generate electricity without fuel.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Why is it nonsense?
Why is it not? But those aren't my words (take note, when you read the article linked).

Quote:
If we switch to CNG cars, drill in ANWR and deeper in the gulf, then also drill in low perm oil-shales and gas-shales, we can easily be energy independent. Use clean coal technologies and nuclear power as well.

We have the capabilities as a country, we just need to get on the right track.
Great... I didn't realize choices in life was THAT easy.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You're referencing electricity transmission. Oil drilling addresses the supply of fuel to generate electricity. You can't transmit electricity that doesn't exist, and you can't generate electricity without fuel.
I believe she's talking about job creation, not electricity creation (and as luck would have it, the Japanese are working on wireless electricity creation which is likely to help with jobs as well... using solar power).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies