Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm sorry, I lied, I was wrong, it's a little over 37,000 but still? I think that's dispicable...really?

Your feelings?

It depends on the area and cost of living. $37k for starting pay is darned good money in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It depends on the area and cost of living. $37k for starting pay is darned good money in many areas.

I disagree, that is really bad...I'm sorry, totally disagree, remember, that isn't take home...how can a family live on that?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Top pay in Atlanta, after 9 years was $58,000, and in atlanta, there is a whole lot of action at night, believe you me....

The cost of living isn't that bad, it's rather low, however, how can any officer with a family live on so little?

I'm sorry, for all you people that don't believe this is true, or, perhaps feel that it's ok to pay the officers so little, I don't...you have no idea what kind of people they are made to deal with everyday, and lets face it, being a police officer takes a special breed of person, to deal with this day in and day out...

I'm just saying...I think it's horrible to pay them so little....and personally, I think police officers and firemen should strike....most are union?
Ok, well now that we know your motivations are that of a stirrer of fecal matter and a union activist.

Buh bye.......

And to think I took the time to actually respond to this troll thread.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
yes, it is hard to do...if you apply for a job as a police officer, it's not just about going for an interview...you have to go back several times, and are competing of course with a lot of other officers. So, say you want to apply in Arizona, for a better paying job...you fill out an app, send it in, then wait for a call....when they call you, you go in for an interview, and may get called back for another interview....then if your accepted you go back for a written test, then you go back for an agility test, then go back again for a physc test...and figure in a lie detector test, then go back again for another interview, all set up by the department, so it's not as easy as you think, it costs a lot of money to apply elsewhere for a job.
It's not the same as a lay person's job...believe me...the protocol is so much more technical and involved...
Got an excuse for everything I see. Oh well, I have no sympathy for anyone who cries about the choices that THEY make.

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
I would have thought the opportunity to club, mace, stun, shoot and lock up people from all walks of life, would more than make up for any salary shortfall.

Maybe you can get into a narcotics unit where you can lie and sell drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
The police in my po-dunk town get 50-170k/year. How sad.
I pity your poor taxpayers....most of whom probably make far less than that and pay a good portion of their own health care.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-12-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Top pay in Atlanta, after 9 years was $58,000, and in atlanta, there is a whole lot of action at night, believe you me....

The cost of living isn't that bad, it's rather low, however, how can any officer with a family live on so little?

I'm sorry, for all you people that don't believe this is true, or, perhaps feel that it's ok to pay the officers so little, I don't...you have no idea what kind of people they are made to deal with everyday, and lets face it, being a police officer takes a special breed of person, to deal with this day in and day out...

I'm just saying...I think it's horrible to pay them so little....and personally, I think police officers and firemen should strike....most are union?
alot of spin there

1. top BASE salary after 9 years is 58k..but most bring home a lot more than that, especially with night diff and OT

2. after 9 years you SHOULD be looking UPWARD MOBILE to detective (more pay), Sergeant (more pay) or even LT (more pay)

3. after 9 years seniority you have CHOICE of duties

4. the cost of living is pretty low in atlanta:

let's compare average 1 bedroom appartmant in atlanta $700...average 1 bedroom apartment in Nassau county New York $1400.month

top base pay fro a PO in atlanta 58k...top base pay for a PO in Nassau 102k

so it is very comparitable to high areas

Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I disagree, that is really bad...I'm sorry, totally disagree, remember, that isn't take home...how can a family live on that?
Um, do some research on what people even in skilled jobs are making, both starting pay, and with some experience. How much do the taxpayers make, that are paying these salaries? I mean, the pay scale of the public employee should be less than say the average taxpayer in the district.

Next, why would you assume that people making starting pay are the ones raising families? Like people in private industry, if you are just starting out, with no experience or skills you make less money. And should probably put off having a family until you can afford to support them.

Public "service" jobs shouldn't be the gravy train to riches. It's a job. Just how hard is it to run a radar gun and write traffic tickets anyway?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
uhn..that's starting salary

the average first year police officer is 21-22 years old and SINGLE

btw 37k is over $17/ hr TO START

Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Personally, I think it's a disgrace what our communities pay our Police Officers...and I'm wondering if many of you are aware of how little they do get paid? Atlanta and parts of Texas pay a little over $50 some thousand to start, however, that still isn't right. How do they expect someone with a family to live on $28.000 a year? And that isn't take home?????
Its dispicable and just plain wrong...it's so sad that more people are not aware of this, and change things for our police officers...it's really really sad...they put they're lives on the line for us, answering calls that are extremely dangerous....and that's all they get paid? I don't know, but I believe we should be embarrassed....

I'm sorry, I lied, I was wrong, it's a little over 37,000 but still? I think that's dispicable...really?

Your feelings?
Maybe they need to write more tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies