Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,895,996 times

Advertisements

As I watch the continuing mess with the Rupert Murdoch empire in England, it has made me somewhat wonder who is the bigger threat to the American way of life. I think we all agree that the government at all levels is too big and too powerful. I for one do not like being told what kind of light bulbs I can buy or that I must drive a certain kind of vehicle. Those are choices a free people should be allowed to make and live with.
But now I am asking myself if I should be more afraid of corporate America and if we need to look into cutting the largest corporations down to size. It makes me no difference if a large company is tapping my phones, reading the emails I send or spying on my bank and medical records than it does when the all powerful government does it.
The fact is that the Murdoch empire gets away with this stuff because they are virtually a monopoly in England and the politicians that are supposed to regulate them are scared to death of them. At least until now. Now it appears Murdoch may not get the TV duopoly there he was hoping for because this has made the Brits wake up and smell the coffee.
There are large "too big to fail" corporations in this country that have the same power over this country that Murdoch has over English politicians. Look at the way the big banks and GM forced us to bail them out when they should have been allowed to sink over their own stupid decisions. Look at the way AT&T and Verizon are hell bent on putting the old Bell monopoly back together again or how big banks are allowed to get bigger and bigger. There comes a point when people should say enough is enough. The English has finally reached that point. We need to do likewise I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,906,291 times
Well since they are so inextricably intertwined it sort of hard to see the distinction.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,484,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well since they are so inextricably intertwined it sort of hard to see the distinction.
Agreed!

BTW, do you think it's safe to say America is Fascist?

29,981 posts, read 42,778,666 times
Don't forget to leave out the unions in your accounting of corrupt influence and damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Agreed!

Fascist country, no. Fascist economy, thanks to ObamaBush nationalizing losses while privatizing profits, yes.

274 posts, read 368,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As I watch the continuing mess with the Rupert Murdoch empire in England, it has made me somewhat wonder who is the bigger threat to the American way of life. I think we all agree that the government at all levels is too big and too powerful.
Who's 'we'?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Agreed!

For the most part yes. Big corporations complete own the right, and many on the left are sipping the sauce as well.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,895,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Don't forget to leave out the unions in your accounting of corrupt influence and damage.

Fascist country, no. Fascist economy, thanks to ObamaBush nationalizing losses while privatizing profits, yes.
I would limit that to public employee unions. Private unions are pretty much done with and have no power. Less than 5% of employees belong to a union. In fact today I saw a bunch of telephone unions walking around town in their red " CWA unity" shirts. I guess they are having a convention here. I almost laughed when I saw that bunch. If the United States government is scared of AT&T and Verizon, what the hell does this bunch of rag tags think they are going to do? Public employee unions should not be allowed to be politically involved in the picking of their bosses. I fully agree with what Scott Walker did to bust them back down to size in Wisconsin. It needs to be done everywhere.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,805,734 times
Mega corporations, aka too big to fail corporations, own the US government lock, stock, and barrel. Most EPA, USDA, etc. regulations were made by lobbyists of the respective industries and certainly not for our benefit. The light bulb ban was probably pushed by GE which is heavily invested in all matters of green things and GE powerplants are exempt from carbon regulation by the EPA. This is a a few but many examples. The U.S. government works for the corporate elite, not us

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,851,489 times
The government of course.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,118,933 times
Government......

I can always decide not to buy a product, listen to a radio station or not watch something on TV....

But I can't get away from the IRS nor the taxes government puts on almost everything....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies