Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you start to/continue patronizing this restaurant?
Yes! It is about time 118 89.39%
No, this is completely unreasonable 14 10.61%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Wow, so glad I'm not a kid today. Back in the 1970s my parents took us to a fine dinning local Cajun restaurant complete with soft table cloth, silverware, soft carpet, and well dressed waitstaff. We behaved ourselves because we knew what we'd be in for when we got home. While it is their right to do this, where does this type of decision cross a line? Banning blacks cause they too are loud? I'm also surprised at the type of restaurants you don't feel are appropriate for children. Olive Garden is far from fine dining. It's upscale but not fine dining. Slightly upscale chain restaurants are fine for kids and if the parents don't control their kids then the staff needs to inform management who should then speak with the family and ask them if they'd like to take their meal to go if they can't get their child to behave,...but in a more polite manner. Fast food shouldn't be the only restaurant for children. Expose the kids to social settings that don't involve a clown or chuckie cheese and food other than burgers or pizza. Infants shouldn't be at restaurants but I wouldn't ban them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAguy View Post
I think its because of different demographics when you compare City-Data's forum to CNN's comment board.
The one thing I notice is that on many comment boards and forums is that all of posters in general are all homogenous. One homogenous internet forum has this opinion and on another forum the opinion is different but the people who visit the latter forum are still homogenous.

*Let's just say the groups are political but that's just my opinion.

ummmmmm what??????

Old 07-13-2011, 12:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Add to that list indoor flea markets - little fingers and lots of breakable stuff. The mothers grab their kids and disappear really quick when an accident happens...

DH has a stand in an indoor flea market - seeing little kids in there around the snow globes especially makes me cringe.
Don't ya ever wonder where these parents came up with the idea that items in stores and/or auctions or flea markets belong to their children??

Any parents want to answer??

Those items are NOT put on display for your child's entertainment or use. If they touch something that doesn't belong to them please act like YOU are the adult and reprimand them......can ya handle 3 year olds or do they rule you???

Then maybe some establishments won't ban the brats.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
The 'fault' lies with poor parenting.

We behaved as children because it was expected of us to behave.I used to dislike going out to eat because it meant sitting at the table for HOURS while the adults talked....but it is what you did.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Don't ya ever wonder where these parents came up with the idea that items in stores and/or auctions or flea markets belong to their children??

Any parents want to answer??

Those items are NOT put on display for your child's entertainment or use. If they touch something that doesn't belong to them please act like YOU are the adult and reprimand them......can ya handle 3 year olds or do they rule you???

Then maybe some establishments won't ban the brats.
When I took my son into a place when he was little with fragile items, we stop right at the entrance and we have a conversation:

"What do you touch in here?"
"Nothing"

"Does any of this belong to you?"
"No"

"How fast do we walk in here?"
"Very slowly"

I even took him into a crystal shop when he was 5 yrs old , holding his hand the whole time. We only stayed 2-3 minutes, but I wanted to start training him about how to behave in certain places/situations.

By the time he was 8, I could literally take him anywhere without any kind of instructions at all, even a 5 star restaurant.

I just DO NOT understand people who say, "Well, they are kids!". Yeah, and that's what playgrounds are for! There is a time/place for everything and the restaurant where I am eating a meal is NOT your kid's playground.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The 'fault' lies with poor parenting.

We behaved as children because it was expected of us to behave.I used to dislike going out to eat because it meant sitting at the table for HOURS while the adults talked....but it is what you did.
Yes. And I remember being four years old and my mother dragging me out of Frisch's (which is kind of like a Friendly's, Denny's, or something like that) to sit in the car while the adults finished their meal. It's not even a fancy place, but I was being a brat and I was taught a lesson.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
(Maybe there are some kids that leave a stink too! lol)
If they pee on the carpet, kids are no different from dogs or cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Back in the 1970s my parents took us to a fine dinning local Cajun restaurant complete with soft table cloth, silverware, soft carpet, and well dressed waitstaff. We behaved ourselves because we knew what we'd be in for when we got home.
And if we had to leave in the middle of dinner -- and Dad still had to pay for the food -- we knew we'd never go out again.

Going out to dinner for us was a rare treat. Maybe that's the difference; people seem to go out to dinner more now, and parents can't, won't or don't draw the line between McDonald's Playland behavior and behavior at other restaurants. Kids need to learn how to behave in a variety of situations and places.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This was already posted in the local forum for this story, but I thought it highlighted some more widespread social issues.

Children under six banned from Pennsylvania restaurant

As the ACLU has already released a statement that this does not violate any anti-discrimination legislation, this is not a legal issue, however I am wondering what people's thoughts are.
I can totally understand the restaurants stand on this issue, as on the rare occasion that we've eaten out.....it's been very disconcerting to have little ones running under tables.....and being very rude and disruptive to people who just want to enjoy a peacefull meal......At the same time it's trully unfortunate that these undisciplined, unruly children have in affect ruined what is a positive family outing for the children of those parents who HAVE taken the time to teach their children how to be well behaved and respectfull of the other patrons...

Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
I think this is the first thread I've ever seen where everyone agrees on something...myself included.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
It's a private business, AND there are no nanny state laws saying a private establishment MUST admit all ages.......

Many people don't want to go out to eat and have to listen to kids crying, having a temper tantrum, throwing food and running around.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies