U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,367,254 times

Advertisements

Most Americans want less immigration, poll shows

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM

21,460 posts, read 19,332,544 times
I would not expect anything else from a country in economic crisis...
Also depends on how the question is asked...
I guess many people are against immigration from certain regions and not from others...

Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,192,720 times
Immigration should be greatly restricted especially from developing nations where chain migration is a big problem. The Diversity Lottery program also needs to be scrapped, and temporary visas should be greatly cut back until unemployment goes below a certain level

Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Immigration should be greatly restricted. The chain migration scam needs to stop with a cap that a US citizen cannot sponsor more than one relative every couple of years minimum and the Diversity Lottery needs to be scrapped altogether.
I guess all in all the US benefits from the DV lottery as most people participating are educated, honest people who don't go to the US out of necessity, but because they like the US and have something to give. Many of them are just too lazy to go the conventional way. Some are actually quite surprised when they win and don't even use the greencard as they are better off at home when they think about it. Like with other lotteries nobody really expects to win, it is more like fun to participate, the 'what would I do if' question.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,068,332 times
Americans are for skimming the "cream of the crop" from other nations and recruiting scientists and engineers. We don't want a bunch of "peasants" with their mouths open and hands out.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess all in all the US benefits from the DV lottery as most people participating are educated, honest people who don't go to the US out of necessity, but because they like the US and have something to give. Many of them are just too lazy to go the conventional way. Some are actually quite surprised when they win and don't even use the greencard as they are better off at home when they think about it.
Not all people participating are educated. Why do they need the DV lottery if they are educated? It means that their education and/or work experience doesn't qualify them for a H1B visa which has more picky requirements for education and work experience. I already wrote my Representative a month ago to scrap the DV lottery

Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Not all people participating are educated. Why do they need the DV lottery if they are educated? It means that their education and/or work experience doesn't qualify them for a H1B visa which has more picky requirements for education and work experience. I already wrote my Representative a month ago to scrap the DV lottery
Some of them are freelancers, who don't qualify for work visas if I am not mistaken. Others are educated and doing fine, but are not rich enough to act as an investor.
I didn't say ALL, by the way... What I wrote applies mainly to Europeans participating.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some of them are freelancers, who don't qualify for work visas if I am not mistaken. Others are educated and doing fine, but are not rich enough to act as an investor.
I didn't say ALL, by the way... What I wrote applies mainly to Europeans participating.
Yes I know, especially those from Germany who sends the most immigrants to the U.S. from Europe, ironically. But you need to understand, the DV lottery is only for those countries that don't send a lot of immigrants to the US to begin with. The slots are allocated based on how few immigrants each country sends to the U.S. which means that poor countries in Africa mostly benefit. Not many Europeans get on a slot based on the fact that immigration is too high from Europe. My cousin from Germany has been on the DV since 2005 and still hasn't gotten an interview.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,547,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Most Americans want less immigration, poll shows
At least you could have posted an article that told us how many people were polled. If it's the usual few hundred or thousand, you can quote percentages until your tongue turns blue, but you can't prove it really represents what most people think in a country of more than 275 million.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yes I know, especially those from Germany who sends the most immigrants to the U.S. from Europe, ironically. But you need to understand, the DV lottery is only for those countries that don't send a lot of immigrants to the US to begin with. The slots are allocated based on how few immigrants each country sends to the U.S. which means that poor countries in Africa mostly benefit. Not many Europeans get on a slot based on the fact that immigration is too high from Europe. My cousin from Germany has been on the DV since 2005 and still hasn't gotten an interview.
I don't think there is a lot of immigration from Europe anymore

The second table from the bottom is interesting.
U.S. Immigration Statistics | Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees - GCIR

Also this map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mm_rate_US.PNG

Cental and Western Europeans have little emigration, except for Britain/Ireland, which however are excluded from the lottery if I remember correctly.

What about your cousin? Has she already won a green card? That waiting period would be odd, there are people who won in 2009 and are already living in the US now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies