Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a gay political agenda?
Of course, it is alive and doing well. 94 68.61%
Absolutely not, the idea is just political propoganda. 43 31.39%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why is itnot a valid comparison? How was segregation of blacks worse than this country executing and imprisoning gays?
Blacks weren't segregated, they were bought and sold as property, treated like garden tools and killed at the whim of their owners. That can't and shouldn't be compared to how gay people are treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Blacks weren't segregated, they were bought and sold as property, treated like garden tools and killed at the whim of their owners. That can't and shouldn't be compared to how gay people are treated.
The Civil rights movement was not about slavery, it was about segregation. Slavery was abolished with the 13th Amendment in 1865. Segregation continued into the 1960s.

And again, how is being executed and imprisoned for being gay not comparable? Are you saying slavery and segregation are somehow astronomically worse than being executed or imprisoned for being gay?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Why is it not a valid comparison? How was segregation of blacks worse than this country executing and imprisoning gays?
Oh yes, what Blacks went through is nothing compared to what Gay's have been through! Blacks were never executed or imprisoned or lynched or set on fire and dragged behind cars or castrated or kept out of Unions and jobs and set upon by dogs or anything like what homosexual's have been through. Heaven forbid!

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-15-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Right. Because gays were never killed for being gay...

Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Oh yes, what Blacks went through is nothing compared to what Gay's have been through!
Did I say gays have it worse? No, I said both have been discriminated against. You guys are the ones trying to place moral value on whether segregating and enslaving blacks was worse than executing and imprisoning gays.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Originally Posted by Backspace

Why do gay people have to suffer as bad as black people did in order to gain equality? Is there some hazing process here whereby you have to go through what the alumni did in order to graduate?

How this for an idea: Let's start treating gay people like we did black people. Why? It will put them on the fast track for equality. Naw, that's a dumb idea. Why? Because the civilized amongst us recognize that mistreatment is mistreatment and no comparison of scars is needed to determine eligibility for equality. Let's acknowledge that we've matured in the last 100 years and stop comparing two different eras.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Did I say gays have it worse? No, I said both have been discriminated against. You guys are the ones trying to place moral value on whether segregating and enslaving blacks was worse than executing and imprisoning gays.
Segregating AND Enslaving AND Executing AND Imprisoning of Blacks. Don't leave anything out just to make your case. It's insulting.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Gays recruit? How? If your child thinks he is a homosexual he or she probably already is!
Of course gays recruit, don't you have a Gay Recruiting Station in your neighborhood? The one in my neighborhood has really cute guys in uniform and in the background the music was "In The Navy" by The Village People!

I couldn't wait to sign up!

They are still processing my application, though ... because I didn't pass the 'interior decoration and home decor' part of the test. I did really well on the 'Broadway Musicals' section, though!!!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Of course gays recruit, don't you have a Gay Recruiting Station in your neighborhood? The one in my neighborhood has really cute guys in uniform and in the background the music was "In The Navy" by The Village People!

I couldn't wait to sign up!

They are still processing my application, though ... because I didn't pass the 'interior decoration and home decor' part of the test. I did really well on the 'Broadway Musicals' section, though!!!!!
I aced the Broadway Musicals section too! How did you do on the fashion section? I guess I don't know my history of the Yves Saint Laurent or Christian Dior fashion houses as well as I thought! I'm a Giorgio Armani fan myself.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
I aced the Broadway Musicals section too! How did you do on the fashion section? I guess I don't know my history of the Yves Saint Laurent or Christian Dior fashion houses as well as I thought! I'm a Giorgio Armani fan myself.
On the written part of the fashion section I wrote an essay on why the form-fitting khaki uniforms should be designed by Ermenegildo Zegna, so I think they were were impressed with my haute couture savvy-ness.

Which "Boot Camp" location preference did you select?
  • San Francisco's Castro Village
  • Key West
  • New York's Greenwich Village
  • Provincetown, Cape Cod
  • Amsterdam's Rembrandtplein
  • Bangkok's Pat Pong
  • or, Wilton Manors
?????????????????????

(I picked Wilton Manors, because my Aunt Shirley lives in Broward County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies