Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is world civilization on the verge?
Not just yes, but HELL YES! 30 46.15%
There is a threat but not imminent danger 11 16.92%
Nothing's impossible, but it doesn't look likely 13 20.00%
Seriously dude, lay off the tinfoil. Our greatest days are ahead of us. 11 16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,734,011 times

Advertisements

I think there will continue to be a financial shakedown over the next 5 years, and a longer period 20-40 year of fiscal challenge. The nearterm shakedown is worrisome, because we are learning how interconnected we are in a global economy. Malfeasance and sleaze in real estate in the English speaking world has plunged the whole world into recession, with ample evidence of interconnection. If countries or financial sectors are weak for other reasons, the recession could be the death blow. Stronger sectors should get through though.

In the longer term, I think the current group of politicians, and the public, in the US at least, have proven unable or unwilling to confront the huge demographic pressures of the boomer retirements. Just when taxes should be going up to help plan ahead for the huge costs when they are past their productive years and a net drain on the economy, they are using their voting might to cut their taxes and to therefore dump their costs on their children and grandchildren.People are self-serving hypocrites. Although folks say they want to cut deficits and shrink the deficit when they are paying, I suspect less than 1% will willingly waive social security checks when they are receiving. Disgusting. Unfortunately, after the hogs at the trough cut their own taxes then have their own fill, folks about your age will be screwed in terms of social security. It will likely be gone. I am about 15 years ahead of you (late boomer), so I am at least partially screwed myself, but I am willing to pay forward. We need to pay more in taxes, because we are a larger population than the next generation.

So, life for you will likely be challenging financially. I am a father, and it infuriates me to see one generation so self-obsessed and screwing over the next. However, I would love to be wrong about my fellow citizens. Maybe they will get the memo. I just have seen nothing but disastrous behavior so far.

Once, the get through this, I think society will learn though, and we will rise to greater heights. I don't hear any of my friend bragging about flipping houses these days... That will likely be after I am gone.

As for you, I cannot say. I think if we develop a rational tax and entitlement policy, we will be fine. Also, the world will be flatter, with many more people rising out of poverty across the world. However, we Americans may not have the standard of living of the last half century. But do you need three homes and an Excalade to be happy? Probably not. Just live below your means, and you should be as well prepared as you can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,294,309 times
Back in the 1950s all we got for news was a half hour a day. If you want to feel good about the world, do the same---limit your exposure to the news. Presto, you can live in the same fairy tale, safe version of the world people think of when they wish for a simpler life where everyone lived in Mayberry and had fathers like Beaver and Wally's.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,552,376 times
The world has always been unstable. It surely is no new thing that it's unstable now. Some areas of the world make progress and others slip back to worse conditions. Has their ever been a time in any of our lives when they were not millions of people in the world with no home, no food and no security of any kind? That's the human condition and will be to the end of time.

That brings up an interesting question. Is Man basically good or is Man basically evil? I think all you have to do is to take a look around you and the answer is clear. This world has everything needed to provide every man, woman and child in it food clothing and shelter. Because of greed, desire for power over the lives of others, Wanting what the other person has, selfishness, brutality, hate and many other human traits, the world will always be full of woe.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,269,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
You probably should have lived in the 1930s.
There is a difference between sorting out a cottage that has fallen into disrepair (the 1930s) and living in a huge McMansion which looks fine from the outside but is about to collapse, crushing every living thing in it, (the present).

Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
"Does the world feel disturbingly unstable to you these days?"

As compared when we were a hair trigger away from a nuclear armageddon, no.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,712,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Anyone else? Does the media make it worse than it sounds or is our civilization really teetering on the edge of disaster?
The media isnt telling you any where close to the full truth of whats really going on.

I've heard suicide rates are way up in the past couple years. I suspect some of those are likely those that have figured out whats really going on.

YC.......

Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,712,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
It's worrisome, but I don't think it's anything like the 1930s. Nazis, Fascists, Communists, economic depression worldwide with uncertainty about the outcome. Now THAT was scary!
Today is worrisome, with facsists, corporatists, communists, out of control central bankers and economic depression worldwide, with uncertainty about the outcome. Now that IS scary!

YC.......

Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
ohhh really???
Yes. The wrold has always been a danger that somone or something will happen. I am 64 and I see less threat to world stabilty than any time in my lifetime. No duck and cover drills because of nuclear threat to detroying the world.no nuclear clsok ;no world war since the first and second.Not even a war that threatens losses like in Vietnam , Heck for the first time in ages there is not even the need to have young men un volunterrily serve i nayhting'less nuclear cost to arm aginst mounting threats from advances. there will always be threats but right now not like the recent past.Iraq;Afganistan and now Libya do not even come close to the military or civilians death of the shorter vietnam war.The woreld economy is changing has it has many times i the past.Western powers have been on a slide ocerall since WWII and certainly US can't expect to domiate like it did when it was pretty much the only country don't basically bankrupted or destroyed after WWi and then WWII.What I see is a Us oppualtio to well feeded;having it eier and higher standard of living just lookig at the number of restaurants growth verus cooking at home. Perhaps the most dangerous thig is or personal lifestyle to continued existence o thsi earth;as it never been easiler to survive .

Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,507,992 times
Obviously it's unstable but I'm not worried about it.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm not that old (33 yrs) but when I look at all that is going on in the world, I can't help but get a sickening feeling, like I'm standing on thin ice in the middle of lake afraid to move as the ice cracks and shifts all around me.

Anyone else? Does the media make it worse than it sounds or is our civilization really teetering on the edge of disaster?
Actually I think the media is doing a horrible job of portraying reality.
For 2.5 years now the so called "experts" are still shocked with bad monthly numbers coming out of the government.

None will address what globalism has done to America. I think we are changed forever but the denial is so great that it is ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies