Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Get rid of Lisa Jackson and get somebody without an agenda to run that department. You got her running the EPA and right next door is Vilsak the Monsanto kneepadder spewing their GM seed and pesticides all over the place. Now how does that work exactly?? Go look at what Monsanto is doing and tell my why the EPA hasn't shut them down. Sure they might fine em a mill here or there but that does nothing. EPA is now the tool to push the global warming agenda. There I said it. It's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I know a few myself. Most of these anti-EPA yahoos are clueless as to the variety of work done by EPA. The regulations are only one part of EPA. Those regulations are law. When the goofy politicians start running off about doing away with EPA they don't tell their rocket scientist followers what that would entail. The regulations were signed into law by Congress. Who is going to undo them? Do they know how many there are? Do they know how many jobs would be effected? Additionally, states have been given primacy to enforce most of the regs, and to implement those regulations.

I wouldn't even begin to be able to guess how many jobs are involved in environmental work, both public sector (federal, states and tribes) and in the private sector. There are thousands of environmental firms (private sector) that do much consulation work, mitigation, and an endless amount of other things. Then there are the laboratories that handle much of the work on various water, soil, and air samples that are part of ongoing monitoring. LOL, then of course, there are the lab supply companies that the laboratories, and environmentalists buy products from. And it goes on and on. So. Would it help job growth or destroy jobs?

Frankly, people that blow off about doing away with EPA never say if they have considered just how adversely that would affect the economy. Ignoranmoues, I suppose. They have one field of vision, and it's a narrow one.
You say you wouldn't even begin to guess then you go on and guess. Get some facts.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Well, I am sort of an expert on environmental issues, but I agree that now is not the time to throw up challenges to small businesses. I am not for going whole hog with environmental regulations now, nor am I keen on giving up ground on fundamental environmental safeguards.

Based on this thread, I will write a letter to Barry O saying that, as a supporter, I think we need to focus on sensible improvements that will not impact businesses until we get out of this pit, but that might put some folks to work. The good thing about environmental work is there is so much to do. We can improve our homes, improve the performance of our machinery and vehicles, improve the way we do many things, without putting the screws to those who are trying to get by in this **** economy.

Like corporations, environmentalists sometimes have the "conquest" mentality, so they are always fighting their battles, using the rhetoric of catastrophe, and they are not known for a sense of proportion. No matter how many victories they win, the next issue is the end of the world.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-15-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Posts like that make the liberals look stupid, at best.
Who in their right mind would think anyone wanted to live in a polluted environment?

Questioning sensibility of some of EPA's regulations is not a crime against the environment.
Maybe conservatives? As long as the polluted environment has produced a heap of profits. Conservatives are pretty much against any environmental protection.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I know a few myself. Most of these anti-EPA yahoos are clueless as to the variety of work done by EPA. The regulations are only one part of EPA. Those regulations are law. When the goofy politicians start running off about doing away with EPA they don't tell their rocket scientist followers what that would entail. The regulations were signed into law by Congress. Who is going to undo them? Do they know how many there are? Do they know how many jobs would be effected? Additionally, states have been given primacy to enforce most of the regs, and to implement those regulations.

I wouldn't even begin to be able to guess how many jobs are involved in environmental work, both public sector (federal, states and tribes) and in the private sector. There are thousands of environmental firms (private sector) that do much consulation work, mitigation, and an endless amount of other things. Then there are the laboratories that handle much of the work on various water, soil, and air samples that are part of ongoing monitoring. LOL, then of course, there are the lab supply companies that the laboratories, and environmentalists buy products from. And it goes on and on. So. Would it help job growth or destroy jobs?

Frankly, people that blow off about doing away with EPA never say if they have considered just how adversely that would affect the economy. Ignoranmoues, I suppose. They have one field of vision, and it's a narrow one.
To the extent that the work of this multitude of people does not produce benefits equal to costs, they are dead weight on society--in no sense are these jobs, they are a twisted form of charity. We did not become better off as a nation by buying roadworthy cars in order to destroy them, and we do not become better off as a nation by throwing money at people doing work that should not be done.

Note the qualifier in the first sentence. Thank goodness for the original Clean Air Act, the rules that cleaned the rivers so they would not catch fire. Much of the work the EPA has done is laudable. The current expansion at the current time is overly ambitious for the times, in my opinion.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I am sort of an expert on environmental issues, but I agree that now is not the time to throw up challenges to small businesses. I am not for going whole hog with environmental regulations now, nor am I keen on giving up ground on fundamental environmental safeguards.

Based on this thread, I will write a letter to Barry O saying that, as a supporter, I think we need to focus on sensible improvements that will not impact businesses until we get out of this pit, but that might put some folks to work. The good thing about environmental work is there is so much to do. We can improve our homes, improve the performance of our machinery and vehicles, improve the way we do many things, without putting the screws to those who are trying to get by in this **** economy.

Like corporations, environmentalists sometimes have the "conquest" mentality, so they are always fighting their battles, using the rhetoric of catastrophe, and they are not known for a sense of proportion. No matter how many victories they win, the next issue is the end of the world.
Environmentalists always go to the extreme and don't think of the ramifications of their actions. Going bonkers over the Alaskan Pipeline comes to mind. Screaming how it would destroy the Elk population yet they have thrived standing in the warmth created by the pipeline. Banning DDT and now thousands die of molaria. All their new "green" conquests from battery cars to windmills that now rely on rare earth elements that we don't have and China is hoarding. Now were in Afghan to steal theirs. Not to mention all the birds they are killing with the windmills. Heck I read they want to now go shoot owls because they saved some endangered owls but some other ones are moving in on their territory. Some of em are completely insane. Save the whales has gotten us to here.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Environmentalists always go to the extreme and don't think of the ramifications of their actions. Going bonkers over the Alaskan Pipeline comes to mind. Screaming how it would destroy the Elk population yet they have thrived standing in the warmth created by the pipeline. Banning DDT and now thousands die of molaria. All their new "green" conquests from battery cars to windmills that now rely on rare earth elements that we don't have and China is hoarding. Now were in Afghan to steal theirs. Not to mention all the birds they are killing with the windmills. Heck I read they want to now go shoot owls because they saved some endangered owls but some other ones are moving in on their territory. Some of em are completely insane. Save the whales has gotten us to here.
Well, if the technique worked once, why not keep doing it? At some point the cost to benefit ratio changes, and the battle become less critical, but you'd never know by the rhetoric. Same goes for conservatives and tax cuts.
Here in Oregon, we've had so many tax cuts, and are so bankrupt, another tax cut does not seem so necessary to me.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Chamber Of Commerce, Koch Bros., etc, etc, have spent ginormous amounts of money in attacking the relatively powerless Environmental Protection Agency, and it's no surprise, considering how they destroy the environment and don't want to be responsible for destroying the environment to make all those dolla's......$$$$$$$$

EPA bashers aren’t protecting ‘jobs,’ they’re protecting polluters | Grist
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, especially using George Soro's supported media matters as a source. When your electric bills triple because of closing coal burning plants, I hope you are happy.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, especially using George Soro's supported media matters as a source. When your electric bills triple because of closing coal burning plants, I hope you are happy.
The liberals believe since they love the government so much they'll get a special rate.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
EPA is out of control.

Just as there are allowable parts per million for various chemicals, the EPA has exceeded the allowable extent of its power.

CO2 a pollutant !!!!!!

State agency pursued a guy who put additional gravel in his driveway, because the established driveway was consider wetlands. After 10 years and millions of lawyer dollars the EPA dropped their case against the homeowner. Nice job NJ EPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies