Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
This is pretty stupid.

You don't have to be a liberal or a conservative to grasp the obvious fact that raising taxes on all taxpayers is not the same thing as one person donating money to the treasury.
What he said, in spades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I'd like to see Obama and every single dem congressman/woman donate to the public debt themselves before they even consider hiking the taxes on the rest of us. Obama loves to talk ad nauseum about "people like him" who "have far more than he needs". Well Mr. POS President, start putting your money where your mouth is, hypocrite.
I'd like to see Bachmann and every single Repub congressman/woman reject the government funding they personally receive (a la Bachmann and others) and that they clamor for for their districts. Bachman loves to talk ad naseum about "reducing the size of the government". Well, Ms. POS congesswoman and presidential candidate, start putting your money where your mouth is, hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You see, it's just a talking point to Liberals. "Raise Taxes!!" But in reality they have zero interest in the ideal. If they were so keen on giving the government more money to waste, then they'd go to the website I cited and make a gracious contribution.

I knew what kind of response this thread would draw from the Left. As predicted, they cry and cower and make excuses when called out on the carpet. They neet to put up ($$$$$) or shut up.

Shiut up? How about YOU shut up with the BS until you supply something factual proving liberals or anyone else for that matter have openly professed their desire to raise more revenue to waste?

It's a BS premise and you know damn well it is.

The problem, as you also know but refuse to admit, is NO ONE believes their own personal piece of the pie IS waste. You know, like those who take tax-free overseas jobs created by wasteful wars of choice and ultimately paid for by taxpayer $$$? They don't consider that waste now do they?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
This is pretty stupid.

You don't have to be a liberal or a conservative to grasp the obvious fact that raising taxes on all taxpayers is not the same thing as one person donating money to the treasury.
I think you missed some of the facts. I didn't read one person, I read all liberals. I believe they make up arond a third of the population. If they all wrote LARGE checks it could help tremendously. Pelosi alone could donate millions. Kerry, Hartman, Rockefeller, Feinstein, etc are all worthy millions.

And let's not skip the entertainers.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:21 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What he said, in spades.

I'd like to see Bachmann and every single Repub congressman/woman reject the government funding they personally receive (a la Bachmann and others) and that they clamor for for their districts. Bachman loves to talk ad naseum about "reducing the size of the government". Well, Ms. POS congesswoman and presidential candidate, start putting your money where your mouth is, hypocrite.

John Quincy Adams is spinning in his grave.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But this is a great way to stop the hypocrisy. If you don't believe in more taxes, then you shouldn't contribute but if you do believe in more taxes then you should.

I believe liberals outnumber the conservatives (that's how Obama got elected) and this is an excellent compromise -- they will still get significant more tax revenue if just the liberals contribute.
IMO, the Independents put Obama over the top. I have read the number of dems and repubs are about the same

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
How about this: Why don't Republicans cut a huge check for the rich corporations that they love so much? After all, they're always hurting for money, and they just might hire someone.
I know this is a waste of time but, here goes. Corporations cause MORE taxes to be paid to the gov't then they get in tax breaks. That is why they get them.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-16-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
OP, you seem to be suffering from a lot of angst, and I am guessing you are feeling a bit trod upon in life. I am sorry for your pain.

I don't agree with your premise statements, however. Personally, I don't think our government programs are a waste, and I am happy to pay my fair share of the taxes to enjoy those programs. In fact, I wish everyone had to -- especially the shrinking percent of our population that is earning the larger percent of our nation's gross income, and pays the smallest percent of the taxes.

Personally, I like having good roads, safe bridges and regulated construction of buildings. It makes me feel safe to know that I don't have to worry about things collapsing under me, as does happen in countries where there are not government controls on building codes.

I like having my mail delivered to my door -- though I wish that businesses would have to pay to send me that junk that I walk directly to the recycle bin.

I like having drainage systems, levees, utility lines, access to clean water, etc. And let's not forget our libraries, schools, parks, etc.

Police and sanitation services are always good, as are jails for persons that have yet to learn to live in society without hurting others.

I could go on and on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Rather than make vague statements about wasting taxpayers money, why don't you pick one specific area of spending that you think should be addressed. I would imagine for every item on that list you would find at least a million citizens whose lives are helped by it.

Try working with the system to improve things rather than just spinning your wheels in anger and frustration.
You are on the wrong thread. Everything you mentioned are LOCAL programs. this thread is about FEDERAL programs.

As for fed programs, here is just one example: "Many assume the government has extremely strict procedures for tracking the money entrusted to it by taxpayers. Believers in this view received a rude awakening in 2003, however, when it was reported that nearly $25 billion in government spending was totally unaccounted for. In typical fashion the mysterious disappearance of this mind-blowing sum was not publicly addressed. Rather,the only apparent record of the incident appears to be buried deep within the Treasury Department’s Financial Report of the United States Government of 2003, in a tiny section innocently entitled “Unreconciled Transactions Affecting the Change in Net Position.” (Perhaps more outrage would have ensued if the section were more bluntly titled “Spending Unaccounted For.”) Put in perspective, $25 billion is enough to fund the Department of Justice for a full calendar year.
12 Outrageous Wastes of Taxpayers’ Money | Shrinkage Is Good

Go to the link. it has 11 more.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Right, like the Medicaid "funding" her husband's clinic receives. Lordy.

Next up would be cries of "Michele Bachmann's husband hates poor people" if he refused to see Medicaid patients. You just can't win against the dimly educated liberal masses hell bent on character assassination.

The point is Obama himself said he (and people like him) doesn't need all the money he has/is making. He brought himself into the equation. When you do that, you open yourself up to being called a hypocrite if you don't do what you're asking others to do. Pay up or shut up. He's already on the record for stating he has plenty more than he needs.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
You want more revenues for government to waste? You want to secure the vote of the leeches?

Then open your wallet, or shut your mouth. The USA is Taxed Enough Already.

I suspect none of you have the fortitude to step up to the plate and literally put your money where your mouth is.
Hmmm....I thought it was the Republicans who are making the most noice about the deficits.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
You want more revenues for government to waste? You want to secure the vote of the leeches?

Then open your wallet, or shut your mouth. The USA is Taxed Enough Already.

I suspect none of you have the fortitude to step up to the plate and literally put your money where your mouth is.

https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/for...ormId=23779454
I'm happy to pay my fair share of the government. I would expect the richest Americans to pay their fair share also. But when I'm paying 30% of my income on taxes, and they are paying 18% of their income on taxes, then something isn't right.

I've said many times I'm willing to see my tax rate to increase, my retirement age to increase, and my medicare costs to increase, because I can afford that. But I would also expect that those who have gotten tax breaks for a decade that haven't produced jobs to pay more also.

Republicans in congress, on the other hand, don't want any tax increases, or loop hole closings. If they did close a loophole, then they'd want to put it somewhere else. So are they going to move from loopholes for corporate jets, to expensive pet dogs or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies