Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
walk away from the crack pipe. that crap makes you paranoid
Wouldn't know.... but I am grateful to learn from your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
I love it, I agree with, and express the same position that Robert Bork did, and I am labeled a liberal.

I love it, I'm the obamabot

Moderate New York Democratic Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan explained his decision to vote against Bork by saying that "it is his restricted vision of privacy which troubles me most. I cannot vote for a jurist who simply cannot find in the Constitution a general right of privacy.... Its importance is such that I cannot support anyone for a Supreme Court appointment who would not recognize it" (Congressional Record, 1987:14011-12).

I'm the Obama lover, I love it

In his book The Way Things Ought To Be, p. 56 Jul 2, 1992, Rush Limbaugh wrote:
I agree with the view, best articulated by Judge Robert Bork, that there is no basis in the Constitution for the privacy right which was announced as the foundational basis for the constitutional right to abortion.

Justice Black said it best: "Privacy," Black said, "is a broad, abstract and ambiguous concept which can easily be shrunken in meaning but which can also, on the other hand, easily be interpreted as a constitutional ban against many things . . ."

Nothing about abortion in the constitution but the 9th amendment. Legalize it.
Gay marriage? Nothing in the constitution but the 9th amendment. Legalize it.

You're seriously citing Black as a justification for your position? Black was at best an embarrassing blemish on our political system.

How can you assign any worth to the words of a man that said joining the KKK was probably a mistake but I'd have joined any group to get elected?

Black could not have cared less about adherence to Constitutional principles. He was all about advancing his personal position regardless of the scores of individual rights he had to trample in achieving that advancement.

As far as your citation of the 9th Amendment is concerned try reading a little further into the Bill of Rights. Any powers not specifically assigned to the federal government are reserved to the states. Neither abortion nor gay marriage are any business of the federal government. Both should be decided on a state by state basis.

Last edited by outbacknv; 07-16-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Actually, many inherent freedoms have been expanded. THink about this: Prior to 1964, it was lawful to discriminate based on race, religion, ethnicity. How was that freedom?

The old white bread conservatives say we are less free b/c of driver's licenses not being issued to people until 16, and they cry on tv saying this country isn't the same.

The country isn't the same because no longer are old white men in charge, nor are white bread conservatives the numerical majority.

So now the country is changing and what they did to everyone else is no longer ok, so they complain and cry that they are treated poorly because they no longer have the advantage.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You no longer have a right to privacy.
Sure I do. Whenever I am home my blinds are closed all day (I don't like the sun ). I don't go outside in the morning to go to work and have a black car drive away because they were watching my house. Hell I hardly ever even see a single cop just drive down the street for no particular reason.

Quote:
In many states, you have little or no right to arm yourself for protection.
If memory serves me correctly I believe Wisconsin was the 49th state that just signed a bill allowing concealed carry, there is only one state at the moment that doesn't allow that and that is Illinois. Why don't you tell me what states are making it illegal to arm yourself.

Quote:
Your right to travel has been infringed on.
Wrong again. I travel from the northern suburbs down to downtown Chicago more than once a week with public transportation, and right now I could jump in my car and drive anywhere physically possible (Except for obviously military bases and private property where I am kept out of). Also i'm wondering if you can quote for me the specific area in the constitution or the bill of rights where it says I have the right to travel. Even if you could find that your quote above is still wrong in many ways.

Quote:
Your rights as a parent are non-existent.
I'm not a parent so I can't comment on this much but I have many friends who are, along with a lot of family who have parents and I have never once heard them talk about the government preventing them from raising their children how they like. As far as I know you can still home school your kid, take them out of the country with you (as my Aunt just did last month), and take them to any restaurant and feed them whatever you would like (if it is on the menu of course).

Quote:
You are watched and tracked as you go through your daily routines.
Nope wrong. And I don't consider red light cameras an issue because they are on public roads.

Quote:
You are being told, in almost every aspect how you will live your life, what you will eat,
Haha you couldn't be more wrong here. I'm a foodie and when I have cash to spend I am generally left with so many choices when it comes to what I can eat I become quite indecisive. No one tells me what I can or cannot eat (unless it is dog).

Quote:
how you will think,
I can, will, and do think whatever I want. People can say my thoughts may be wrong but they are free to do so. There aren't psychic agents walk around on the street everyday reading my thoughts and approving or disapproving of them. You watch too many sci-fi movies.

Quote:
what is politically correct,
How is this infringing upon your rights? You can do politically incorrect things all day and as long as you aren't breaking the law no one is going to stop you. They may not like you anymore but that is only because what you did. Also what is politically correct and what isn't isn't decided by government, it is decided by society as a whole.

Quote:
what your children will learn.
Home school!

Try to come back with more than just talking points, and facts if possible. You really make yourself look silly posting this nonsense.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Wow, can someone list all the rights that have been taken away recently?

Seems that i'm still able to do the same things that I could do from 17 years ago.
A better question is what rights do you still have?
The answer is not many.
We are a society who likes to pretend.
We pretend we are prosperous and that our economies in recovery when we borrow 1.5 trillion dollars a year to support it. We are all more than $45K in debt by government proxy without our permission.
We pretend we are smart when we are among the worst educated people among the industrialized nations.
We pretend we are free, when nothing could be farther from the truth.
You have whatever rights the government, at this point in time, decides it wants to give you. If at some point it wants to take them away, they will.
The Patriot Act gives them the power to come into your home without a warrant if they want.
To imprison you without charges, or trial.
To confiscate your property, without due process.
When something is your right, or it is legal, you do not need a license or a permit to do it.
Only illegal activities require licenses and permits.

Driving is illegal without the government’s permission.
Marriage is illegal without the government’s permission.
Business is illegal without the government permission.
Doing work on your own house is illegal without the government’s permission.
Leaving or entering your own country is illegal without the government’s permission.
Broadcasting over the airwaves is illegal without the government’s permission.
Access to public lands is illegal without government permission.
Carrying (or as the Constitution states "bearing") a firearm without government permission is illegal.
Fishing without the government’s permission is illegal.
Hunting without the government’s permission is illegal.
Boating without the government’s permission is illegal.

I could go on all day, but those who are children of the nanny state will continue to defend subservience to the government.

Those who understand and defend liberty, and understand the meaning of unalienable rights already know everything I am saying.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,452 times
Quote:
Can you feel it? Every day you are a little less free that the day before.
Government is encroaching on each and every aspect of your life.
You no longer have a right to privacy. In many states, you have little or no right to arm yourself for protection. Your right to travel has been infringed on. Your rights as a parent are non-existent. You are watched and tracked as you go through your daily routines. You are being told, in almost every aspect how you will live your life, what you will eat, how you will think, what is politically correct, what your children will learn.

We have gotten to such a sorry state that police are shutting down kids lemonade stands and prosecuting old ladies for having vegetable gardens in their yards. They are using tazers on 8 year old kids, and shooting men sitting on their porches watering their lawns.
I remember in the 50, 60’s when our government would tout how repressed the people of the Soviet Union were, and how the state dictated every aspect of their lives.

Today it is we who are living under the boot heal of total government control.
What the hell planet do YOU live on, anyway? Sounds like a fun place. Remind me not to visit.

Of course, I assume we'll never hear from you again. The gov't is already at your door tasering you for writing this.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
You best huddle down in that bunker. You do know it is easy to track people online?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
What the hell planet do YOU live on, anyway? Sounds like a fun place. Remind me not to visit.

Of course, I assume we'll never hear from you again. The gov't is already at your door tasering you for writing this.
Its a place where people do not live with there heads in the sand. If you have an argument to make, I would like to hear it, but aparently you do not, and just enguage in personal attacks, they call those people trolls.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I agree with JohKnip. I have not had any of my "freedoms" disappear. In fact I spent most of yesterday driving my motor scooter way faster than the posted speed limits and nobody bothered me in any way. I do not see where the "government" has reduced my freedom or privacy. I still do pretty much what I want wehen I want to.

I wish I could say the same about the private sector. I resent the credit card services tracking my private business with one bank and then sharing that information with other banks. I resent some businesses selling my contact information to other companies. I don't want junk mail just because I purchesd something from a company.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Can you feel it? Every day you are a little less free that the day before.
Government is encroaching on each and every aspect of your life.
You no longer have a right to privacy. In many states, you have little or no right to arm yourself for protection. Your right to travel has been infringed on. Your rights as a parent are non-existent. You are watched and tracked as you go through your daily routines. You are being told, in almost every aspect how you will live your life, what you will eat, how you will think, what is politically correct, what your children will learn.

We have gotten to such a sorry state that police are shutting down kids lemonade stands and prosecuting old ladies for having vegetable gardens in their yards. They are using tazers on 8 year old kids, and shooting men sitting on their porches watering their lawns.
I remember in the 50, 60’s when our government would tout how repressed the people of the Soviet Union were, and how the state dictated every aspect of their lives.

Today it is we who are living under the boot heal of total government control.
Aw, you are just sad that the RW overbearance initiative is being squelched. Take a Valium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies