Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times

Advertisements

Can you feel it? Every day you are a little less free that the day before.
Government is encroaching on each and every aspect of your life.
You no longer have a right to privacy. In many states, you have little or no right to arm yourself for protection. Your right to travel has been infringed on. Your rights as a parent are non-existent. You are watched and tracked as you go through your daily routines. You are being told, in almost every aspect how you will live your life, what you will eat, how you will think, what is politically correct, what your children will learn.

We have gotten to such a sorry state that police are shutting down kids lemonade stands and prosecuting old ladies for having vegetable gardens in their yards. They are using tazers on 8 year old kids, and shooting men sitting on their porches watering their lawns.
I remember in the 50, 60’s when our government would tout how repressed the people of the Soviet Union were, and how the state dictated every aspect of their lives.

Today it is we who are living under the boot heal of total government control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
You NEVER had a RIGHT to privacy. There was NEVER an expectation of privacy in public. As a matter of fact, judges now are stricter on issuing writs and search warrants then they were years ago when everyone knew the judge. That's a result of more cases being thrown out because of bad evidence, hello Roger Clemens. The ONLY place where you have expectation to privacy in public is in the voting booth, and that is only recent. 50, 100, 150 years ago everyone knew who you voted for. In a lot of cases you were TOLD who to vote for. NJ was the first state to allow women to vote because they forgot to put the word man in their first constitution. Men would often go to vote in the morning, go home eat lunch and either tell their wife who to vote for or they would dress up like women and cast another vote as their wife. I don't see you complaining about having to show ID when you go vote, I think that is a greater intrusion than anything else.

You now have more laws on the books to stop companies from sending you mail you don't want or calling your phone if you don't want. What bothers people is the technology that is being used. However, what is the difference between putting a camera on every pole in a city vs. putting a cop on every corner in a city?

What state do you not have a right to arm yourself if you follow the law? If you dont like the specific gun laws then come down here to SC, we allow you to do anything.

Your right to travel? Travel on what government built roads? The government build railroad network? On an airplane? Travel has expanded more now then ever in history, we have too many roads, too many people are using planes when in the past they drove. There are LESS toll roads NOW then when the country was created. There are still towns in states where private individuals own their own bridges and can charge whatever they liked without any regulation, is that what you want? I will charge this car $50 to cross my bridge, and this car $1 (that used to be legal)

What rights don't you have as a parent, and what about the child's right?

So people NEVER tracked and watched people go through their daily rotuine ever? Do you think your that important that the government is monitoring you when you go to the strip club? Hello there was something in this country called THE MOB. There are 300 million people in this country, your NOT that important.

Who is telling you how to live? You want to go live in the woods and worship trees..go ahead I know people who do it, heck I did it. You want to eat something else, go ahead, eat what you want. No one is stopping you (unless your a canabal.)

Government certainly doesn't tell you how to think, your a perfect example.

If you don't like what your children are learning, don't you have the option to teach them yourself. I know plenty of people who WORK in schools and home school their kids. It doesn't matter what you or the government teaches them, they don't listen anyway.

Your problem is, that other people in this society who also have a vested interest think differently then you do. We can't have 100 million school children learning 100 million different things. If a majority of the people in San Fransisco don't like Happy Meals, and you want a Happy Meal there well that's called learning to live with others. Don't blame that on government.

As to the Soviet Union, I visited the Soviet Union in the early 1980's. Just take travel. You could not fly Aeroflot without the government approving it. You could not travel to another republic without showing papers at the border, and getting permission from the government. People didn't own cars because the govenment didn't give them permission to.

Today you could get in your car and drive across country and the government won't stop you (until you hit the 405 anyway.)

Dude...get a grip, relax. Come out of the bunker or woods, stop stocking up on the survival gear.

Last edited by arrgy; 07-16-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
You NEVER had a RIGHT to privacy. There was NEVER an expectation of privacy in public. As a matter of fact, judges now are stricter on issuing writs and search warrants then they were years ago when everyone knew the judge. That's a result of more cases being thrown out because of bad evidence, hello Roger Clemens. The ONLY place where you have expectation to privacy in public is in the voting booth, and that is only recent. 50, 100, 150 years ago everyone knew who you voted for. In a lot of cases you were TOLD who to vote for. NJ was the first state to allow women to vote because they forgot to put the word man in their first constitution. Men would often go to vote in the morning, go home eat lunch and either tell their wife who to vote for or they would dress up like women and cast another vote as their wife. I don't see you complaining about having to show ID when you go vote, I think that is a greater intrusion than anything else.

You now have more laws on the books to stop companies from sending you mail you don't want or calling your phone if you don't want. What bothers people is the technology that is being used. However, what is the difference between putting a camera on every pole in a city vs. putting a cop on every corner in a city?

What state do you not have a right to arm yourself if you follow the law? If you dont like the specific gun laws then come down here to SC, we allow you to do anything.

Your right to travel? Travel on what government built roads? The government build railroad network? On an airplane? Travel has expanded more now then ever in history, we have too many roads, too many people are using planes when in the past they drove. There are LESS toll roads NOW then when the country was created. There are still towns in states where private individuals own their own bridges and can charge whatever they liked without any regulation, is that what you want? I will charge this car $50 to cross my bridge, and this car $1 (that used to be legal)

What rights don't you have as a parent, and what about the child's right?

So people NEVER tracked and watched people go through their daily rotuine ever? Do you think your that important that the government is monitoring you when you go to the strip club? Hello there was something in this country called THE MOB. There are 300 million people in this country, your NOT that important.

Who is telling you how to live? You want to go live in the woods and worship trees..go ahead I know people who do it, heck I did it. You want to eat something else, go ahead, eat what you want. No one is stopping you (unless your a canabal.)

Government certainly doesn't tell you how to think, your a perfect example.

If you don't like what your children are learning, don't you have the option to teach them yourself. I know plenty of people who WORK in schools and home school their kids. It doesn't matter what you or the government teaches them, they don't listen anyway.

Your problem is, that other people in this society who also have a vested interest think differently then you do. We can't have 100 million school children learning 100 million different things. If a majority of the people in San Fransisco don't like Happy Meals, and you want a Happy Meal there well that's called learning to live with others. Don't blame that on government.

As to the Soviet Union, I visited the Soviet Union in the early 1980's. Just take travel. You could not fly Aeroflot without the government approving it. You could not travel to another republic without showing papers at the border, and getting permission from the government. People didn't own cars because the govenment didn't give them permission to.

Today you could get in your car and drive across country and the government won't stop you (until you hit the 405 anyway.)

Dude...get a grip, relax. Come out of the bunker or woods, stop stocking up on the survival gear.
Perhaps you should spend a little of your precious time studying the 9th Amendment, and the Constitution / Bill of Rights as a whole for that matter.
All power and rights not specifically given the government remains with the States and the People.

The government does not give you rights, it is the other way around, or to be more correct, at least that is the way it was intended to be.
It is people like you, who do not understand or value liberty that are responsible for the erosion of the principals the country was founded on.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Translation: join the collective and toil for the greater good of the state.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:53 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Can you feel it? Every day you are a little less free that the day before.
Government is encroaching on each and every aspect of your life.
You no longer have a right to privacy. In many states, you have little or no right to arm yourself for protection. Your right to travel has been infringed on. Your rights as a parent are non-existent. You are watched and tracked as you go through your daily routines. You are being told, in almost every aspect how you will live your life, what you will eat, how you will think, what is politically correct, what your children will learn.

We have gotten to such a sorry state that police are shutting down kids lemonade stands and prosecuting old ladies for having vegetable gardens in their yards. They are using tazers on 8 year old kids, and shooting men sitting on their porches watering their lawns.
I remember in the 50, 60’s when our government would tout how repressed the people of the Soviet Union were, and how the state dictated every aspect of their lives.

Today it is we who are living under the boot heal of total government control.
Yes and parents no longer have a say about what your children are exposed to in school if they go against your beliefs. They sneak policy in wherever they see fit in order to change social policy and structure. Just amazing!

Conservatives Begin Effort To Repeal California's Gay History Bill | On Top Magazine :: Gay & Lesbian News, Entertainment, Commentary & Travel

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes and parents no longer have a say about what your children are exposed to in school if they go against your beliefs. They sneak policy in wherever they see fit in order to change social policy and structure. Just amazing!

Conservatives Begin Effort To Repeal California's Gay History Bill | On Top Magazine :: Gay & Lesbian News, Entertainment, Commentary & Travel
Good reason not to send your children to government schools.

Now if they would quit stealing our money to support them...

Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
You NEVER had a RIGHT to privacy. There was NEVER an expectation of privacy in public.
I suppose that depends on how you define Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

To me, being able to be free without the constant constraints of rules and regulations that govern every single action would be my definition.

When my father was young, in the 1930s he traveled across country with his parents. He was 13 and he did all the driving. Driver's License? Not hardly. Did he cause any accidents? Nope. When he was a little older, he traveled to the middle east and Europe. Passport? Nope? Visa? Nope?

He worked as a young man without benefit of a social security card (did not get one until he joined the military in his 20s), he did whatever he wanted as long as it did not hurt anyone else.

The government has restricted our freedoms "for our own good", which is hogwash. I don't NEED the government watching out for me. One of the FEW reasons our government was created (of the people, by the people, for the people), was to protect it's borders.

How ironic, that the one thing that it is supposed to be doing, is the one thing that it is failing miserably at. Meanwhile reducing our freedoms on a day by day basis so that we are virtual PRISONERS AND SLAVES in our own country.

Not what the founding fathers intended. Not at all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
I love it, I agree with, and express the same position that Robert Bork did, and I am labeled a liberal.

I love it, I'm the obamabot

Moderate New York Democratic Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan explained his decision to vote against Bork by saying that "it is his restricted vision of privacy which troubles me most. I cannot vote for a jurist who simply cannot find in the Constitution a general right of privacy.... Its importance is such that I cannot support anyone for a Supreme Court appointment who would not recognize it" (Congressional Record, 1987:14011-12).

I'm the Obama lover, I love it

In his book The Way Things Ought To Be, p. 56 Jul 2, 1992, Rush Limbaugh wrote:
I agree with the view, best articulated by Judge Robert Bork, that there is no basis in the Constitution for the privacy right which was announced as the foundational basis for the constitutional right to abortion.

Justice Black said it best: "Privacy," Black said, "is a broad, abstract and ambiguous concept which can easily be shrunken in meaning but which can also, on the other hand, easily be interpreted as a constitutional ban against many things . . ."

Nothing about abortion in the constitution but the 9th amendment. Legalize it.
Gay marriage? Nothing in the constitution but the 9th amendment. Legalize it.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Do I hear whining?

Go ahead, stop paying taxes and move to Somalia.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Wow, can someone list all the rights that have been taken away recently?

Seems that i'm still able to do the same things that I could do from 17 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies