Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That sort of thing was and still is huge around here during hurricanes, a few weeks and months after hurricanes Ike and Rita there were literally hundreds, maybe thousands of "never been used" generators on Craigslist that people bought in parking lots out of semi trucks and didn't need. They got them cheap because they're worthless crap generators and they saw a clear weather report so they tried to sell them for what they paid or sometimes even more.

It's shocking how many people are completely and utterly unprepared for anything that might happen, anything from a huge hurricane to a single day without access to a grocery store or gas station. My neighbors were funny as hell when Ike was rolling in, I had quite a few comment about me being one of the very few who boarded up their windows days ahead of time... these were the same people knocking on my door wanting to borrow screws and a saw to cut particle board for their windows literally as the skies were turning dark and the wind was starting to blow.
Makes you wonder if their parents never read them the moral of the grasshopper and the ant doesn't it? Has the "it will never happen to me" mentality become the default normalcy bias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
To each is own, but i'm seeing alot of naivete...."it could never happen" mentality on this thread. Nobody ever expected the Great Depression either. Today's seniors STILL to this day hang onto to things because of the havoc that the GD hefted onto their psyche.

I feel for the people on this thread who can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
To each is own, but i'm seeing alot of naivete...."it could never happen" mentality on this thread. Nobody ever expected the Great Depression either. Today's seniors STILL to this day hang onto to things because of the havoc that the GD hefted onto their psyche.

When a hurricane happens, the neighborhood -- for better or for worse -- becomes a "survival community." Those who didn't prepare turn to those who did, like Backspace mentioned.

If only essays like the following (long read but worth it) were more publicized by the mainstream media. (It won't ever happen since this kind of thing is just paranoid ramblings by them wacko survivalists who are only trying to sell you buckets of wheat.)

If you have neglected, failed or refused to complete your plans for survival, here are things you need to know should you decide to depend on someone who has been more diligent.
  • No One Will Provide You With Shelter
  • No One Will Feed You
  • No One Will Provide Drinking Water
  • No One Will Protect You
  • No One Will Provide Medical Attention
The rest of the essay:

Joining a Survival Community : Flight in Winter, Emergency Preparedness Supplies

Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
of course thinking on your feet is important. thats why our military is superior and always has been, they are given the ability to think on their feet and anyone can at any time be tasked with leading. other forces are done once the commander on scene is taken out. however there is no replacement for preparedness. having supplies like food and not needing them is better than needing them and they are not available any where. people are to accustomed to having the government take care of them. look at new orleans, perfect example. mayor said get out way to late and there was no plan.

gotta wonder though, why would someone from northern california even care or read this forum from sarasota. it says on your header you have 12,723 posts? you must be on these boards 24/7
Been around a long time and work on my comp most days and have this forum open all the time so, yup, I post ALOT. And it's in the Main P&C Forum, not some local thread, otherwise I would never have chimmed in. I said straight up, my first post on this topic, that there are no hurricanes where I'm from. Then I just sort of got dragged into it by being told what I seem to think....

Fact is I haven't been contrary at all, to anyone, about anything. But sometimes people like to argue and look for things to fight about. One thing I've learned, folks who live in hurricane country love guns. Perhaps they think they can shoot at them or something. (I kid!)

Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM

201 posts, read 235,628 times
I do not have any stockpiles.

a) We won't need them for any "default"
2) I always have enough gas and food on hand to take care of business for a few days
c) I can always take any guns and ammo I need from the massive amounts of bat-**** crazy, armed to the teeth, fat, slothful, foolish rednecks in my area-- they all move about as fast as a heart-patient in a lard-induced coma.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Yeah anything can happen, it's always feels good when you don't have to count on other’s and can take care of yourself.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Sitting here reading about Pliny the Elder who died attempting to rescue the citizens of Pompeii by boat in 79AD... how we were so much more civilized in ancient times. The thought of one men coming to aid of others, how... primitive.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sitting here reading about Pliny the Elder who died attempting to rescue the citizens of Pompeii by boat in 79AD... how we were so much more civilized in ancient times. The thought of one men coming to aid of others, how... primitive.
Don't worry..there are some compassionate ones out there.
I don't have a gun and won't blow your head off if you are stranded and walk up my driveway. You'll get a nice tall glass of ice tea, a seat on the porch and a telephone you can use to call for help. And then when you leave you just might get a dozen eggs "to take with you".

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
how many people on this board are prepared for a hurricane? do you stockpile food, water and ammo? how much? is there more of a concern as obama prepares to be the first president in history to default on the debt?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Another good reason to stockpile. Saved money:

-------------------

extreme-couponing-student-saves-300-month-cnnmoney: Yahoo! Personal Finance News (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/113163/extreme-couponing-student-saves-300-month-cnnmoney - broken link)

Extreme Couponing: Student Saves $300 a Month

"Lauren Liggett, a 22-year-old college student from Carthage, Mo., found herself hooked the moment she saw the pilot episode of the TLC reality show "Extreme Couponing" in December. She began scouring the Internet for couponing websites, bought copies of the Sunday newspaper for the circulars, and headed to the grocery store to shop for her family....." [snip]

"On that first shopping trip, she presented her coupons to the cashier and felt the adrenaline rush of watching her total drop from $263 to $50. "Pretty good for my first time!" she recalls."

"... Today Lauren has slashed her family's monthly grocery bill from $400 to $100..."

-----------------

Provided one spends the money wisely and uses the items they stockpile, or otherwise can get unneeded items to others (family, friends) who could use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies