Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
And how much worse each and every one of the things you describe will get worse -far worse- when Nanny State holds all the cards. I'm pretty happy with the way things are now. You want socialized medicine? Fine.

Not me.
That's the point, I am in FAVOR of competition. But do not fool yourself into thinking you have any say in your healthcare now.

I wish there was competition, I wish I could choose between 30 plans instead of 2. I agree it WOULD drive down costs.

But to say we have a capitalist health care system is a joke.

I must choose a plan my employer wants me to choose or end up spending all my money on inflated costs...who wants that?
If I need surgery and my insurance company says no they wont cover it, what do I do if I can't afford it? In a capitalist system I could go to another healthcare plan that offers the surgery I can afford.

Here is another good one. My girlfriend has no job, she has no healthcare. We have been living together for 2 years and in my state are considered common law married. Yet my employer's health care plan does not want to cover her, even if I pay the spouse portion, until we get married. I said why is that, the insurance company said it would be against the rules of the state of Georgia. I said, so what you are telling me is that since my health care plan is through the state of Georgia, they are TELLING me that I MUST get married to get my girlfriend covered even though I am willing to pay extra? She said, that is how Georgia works. So my state is forcing me to get married in order to get health care for her, even though she lives with me, we bought a house together, etc.

That's isn't government controlling your life. My state has been red for years, my Republican Congressman told me "well just get married."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
The financial reports weren't showing insolvency for those SS funds. So interesting to say.

We would all be better off if we had what a few Texas counties have in place and we would have control over it.

http://blogs.forbes.com/merrillmatth...and-prospered/

I would like to remind people that w/o it's people the govt cannot create wealth so I don't think focusing on people you think are sponging is productive. The real sponges are things like special interest and bloated military war spending.

This is a big show so get ready. They either set you up for something they want w/ fear or distract you while they go do something quietly.

What Happened to the $2.6 Trillion Social Security Trust Fund? - Merrill Matthews - Right Directions - Forbes

Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I don't think focusing on people you think are sponging is productive.
I disagree. A 3 to 1 birth rate (women on public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of those not on public assistance) exponentially grows the dependent class. Supporting them and their exponentially increasing numbers will very quickly become completely unsustainable.

As it is, we are already at the point in which 51% pay NO Federal Income Tax. The majority now pay NO Federal Income Tax.
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I disagree. A 3 to 1 birth rate (women on public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of those not on public assistance) exponentially grows the dependent class. Supporting them and their exponentially increasing numbers will very quickly become completely unsustainable.

As it is, we are already at the point in which 51% pay NO Federal Income Tax. The majority now pay NO Federal Income Tax.
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef
But they DO pay Social Security and Medicare taxes. They DO pay state and local taxes. They DO pay sales tax and gas taxes and so on. So they aren't really sponging.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
That's the point, I am in FAVOR of competition. But do not fool yourself into thinking you have any say in your healthcare now.

I wish there was competition, I wish I could choose between 30 plans instead of 2. I agree it WOULD drive down costs.

But to say we have a capitalist health care system is a joke.

I must choose a plan my employer wants me to choose or end up spending all my money on inflated costs...who wants that?
If I need surgery and my insurance company says no they wont cover it, what do I do if I can't afford it? In a capitalist system I could go to another healthcare plan that offers the surgery I can afford.

Here is another good one. My girlfriend has no job, she has no healthcare. We have been living together for 2 years and in my state are considered common law married. Yet my employer's health care plan does not want to cover her, even if I pay the spouse portion, until we get married. I said why is that, the insurance company said it would be against the rules of the state of Georgia. I said, so what you are telling me is that since my health care plan is through the state of Georgia, they are TELLING me that I MUST get married to get my girlfriend covered even though I am willing to pay extra? She said, that is how Georgia works. So my state is forcing me to get married in order to get health care for her, even though she lives with me, we bought a house together, etc.

That's isn't government controlling your life. My state has been red for years, my Republican Congressman told me "well just get married."
Every problem you and your mate are facing are a result of government interference with the marketplace for health insurance.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Every problem you and your mate are facing are a result of government interference with the marketplace for health insurance.
Well sort of...

I am in favor of competition, YET if my gf can't get insurance because the insurance plan is saying I have to get married, and along comes Obama and healthcare for my gf and we don't have to get married, what do you think she is going to do?

I understand the point your saying is health care is bad now and it will only get worse. My point is health care is bad now, and the Republicans and companies aren't doing ANYTHING to make it better.

And its not just in the past 3 years since Obama has been in office, I could go back 5 or 10 or 20 years when there were different administrations and Congresses. My God I live in the reddest state known to man, and all it takes is the Republicans in my state to change the rule to allow common law married people to get the same coverage as fully married people get.

My Republican Congressman told me to just get married (that was helpful and government telling me what to do) A Democratic Congressman in another district told me they actually tried to change the law 10 years ago so that she could get healhcare and it failed, and as punishment the Republicans got rid of Common Law Marriages in my state! (I live in SC that recognizes common law marriage but work in GA) Here is the kicker, I teach, and I teach in a very liberal school district, my liberal school district was the first hurdle. I applied to them, and without hesitation they said sure, we consider you married and give you benifits, good luck with getting the state to agree though.

Under the Republican plan...I can't even give them money, they don't want it. They want to control me and TELL me that I MUST get married.

See how I think that the Republican banter of Liberals controlling me is crazy?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
I love it...do you know what the Republican Supreme Court said about that in 1960?

Fleming v. Nestor-the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that workers have no legally binding contractual rights to their Social Security benefits, and that those benefits can be cut or even eliminated at any time.

"To engraft upon the Social Security system a concept of 'accrued property rights' would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever changing conditions which it demands." The Court went on to say, "It is apparent that the non-contractual interest of an employee covered by the [Social Security] Act cannot be soundly analogized to that of the holder of an annuity, whose right to benefits is bottomed on his contractual premium payments."

Who opposed this?

The liberal wing of the Warren court.

Who supported this ruling the conservative wing:

John Harlan, Frankfurter, Charles Whittaker Tom Clark and Potter Stewart.

How despicable of those Conservatives to make this ruling!
Deflection...

This month, 0bama threatened senior citizens that he would deny them their payments... try to live in the present day.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Deflection...

This month, 0bama threatened senior citizens that he would deny them their payments... try to live in the present day.
Or, Obama warned the country that not raising the debt ceiling would have dire consequences, and that social security checks might not be mailed out on schedule.

You see threat because you want to see Obama in the worst possible light. Any other perspective doesn't see threat.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But they DO pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.
Not if they don't work.
Quote:
They DO pay state and local taxes.
Not if they don't work, and not if they live in public housing.
Quote:
They DO pay sales tax and gas taxes and so on.
Yes, but with money they didn't earn. They're paying it with money that was taken from someone else under threat of imprisonment.
Quote:
So they aren't really sponging.
Incorrect.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Or, Obama warned the country that not raising the debt ceiling would have dire consequences, and that social security checks might not be mailed out on schedule.

You see threat because you want to see Obama in the worst possible light. Any other perspective doesn't see threat.
Total BS. If it wasn't a threat against certain American citizens, Obama would have explained how it might be necessary to not pay the states' block grants. That didn't happen. Instead, Obama overtly threatened America's senior citizens - a plan that has already been floated by Obama's Treasury.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 07-18-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies