Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,134,898 times

Advertisements

how many people on this board are prepared for a hurricane? do you stockpile food, water and ammo? how much? is there more of a concern as obama prepares to be the first president in history to default on the debt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM

481 posts, read 940,938 times
I've been through my fair share of hurricanes including living in SoFl during Andrew and that horrible 2004 and 2005 season. However, through all of it I don't remember once stockpiling ammo. Do people really do that for hurricanes? Maybe a zombie apocalypse, but a hurricane?

Also, not sure what Obama has to do with hurricanes. I'm confused.

Oh to answer the question, we have 2 cases of bottled water we keep in the garage and as we use it we add more. Other then the typical cans of food and stuffs, not much. We do have a storage bin with camping/hurricane stuffs like battaries, hand radio, flash lights, those burner cans for cooking, etc.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,671,448 times
Yes, we have stockpiles my husband has bought. Water, ready to eat food packages & he has guns/ammo regardless of a hurricane or not Our house was built to withstand a Cat 4 Hurricane plus we have a big old generator. We aren't going anywhere unless it is the BIG ONE.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM

64 posts, read 117,235 times
News Headlines

Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,283,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
The government can control the weather and stuff. Duh!

Weather Control: Conspiracy Theories

Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,134,898 times

im thinking you need to get a little more in tune with what is going on. if the potus does not put a deal together and the country defaults there very well could be hyper inflation. the cost of transportation of food and other needs could skyrocket and cause shortages. that combined with a hurricane would be bad, real bad. this is even on the main stream entertainment news stations.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,728,957 times
The debt ceiling is a manufactured crisis on the part of Congress. The debt ceiling was raised 7 times during the two George Bush administrations.

Remember the famous Vice President Cheney quote " deficits don't matter." All of a sudden everything is a crisis.

White Rep. President- no problem creating a massive deficit- Black Dem. president- hysteria over the deficit. Ridiculous

George Bush came into office with a balanced budget and a 500 Million + surplus left by Bill Clinton. He then proceeded to run up the biggest deficits in history. Now those same people responsible for helping to create the deficit are suddenly fiscal hawks. It's laughable.

Look it all up if you don't believe me.

This is all so much stuff and nonsense. It will be resolved prior to August 2.

As for stockpiling things for a hurricane- yes, if you have a good strong house and a generator. If you think your house may be rubble or badly damaged better to have plenty of cash on hand and go out of the path of a hurricane.

I sure wouldn't want to stay if there was the possibility the power would be out for weeks and I didn't have a big generator and plenty of gas to keep at least part of the house with lights, A/C, etc. Especially A/C in at least one or two rooms.

I can see staying to protect property if the house comes through the storm with minimal damage. I can't see staying and pitching a tent to protect rubble. Better then to deal with the aftermath in a nice extended stay motel somewhere.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,980,807 times
Yes, lots of food & water, and ammo (for hurricanes AND general protection!) It may only be a .22, but it's more effective than pleading with criminals no to rob or hurt us!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,980,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
This is all so much stuff and nonsense. It will be resolved prior to August 2.
Resolved? Absolutely not. Band-Aid, maybe. Temporary fix. The only way to "resolve" this is to cut frivilous spending by reducing the size of government, take control of the medicaid & medicare fraud, and get back to basics.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,928,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
how many people on this board are prepared for a hurricane? do you stockpile food, water and ammo? how much? is there more of a concern as obama prepares to be the first president in history to default on the debt?
Give me a freakin' break, Obama and debt will not affect you during a hurricane (if you have a tiny gun-slinging ego then maybe lol ). If this were the P&OC forum, then I'd teach you a lesson in national debt, but again we'll reserve that for another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies