Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
Obama's main flaw is that he is failing to show to the House and to the people that there is INDEED a REVENUE PROBLEM (and not only a SPENDING problem).

Tax revenues as % of GDP are at historic lows.

Because the economy sucks. But raising taxes isn't going to help & continuing to spend isn't going to help. This is a HUGE wake up call to us all & thise refuseing to admit that our problem is definately without question that we spend too much money are prolonging the issue. We need to cut back EVERYWHERE, foriegn aid, federal pay perks & bennies, wasteful departments & bureaucracies, everywhere & everything govt related needs to be slimmed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
We have defaulted numerous times before???? The only other US default I can find is the 1933 default during the great depression and transition to the gold standard-----please list the other numerous defaults---

It is time to address spending redections----no argument. Everything needs to reviewed including medicare, medicaid, social security, and yes indeed national defense-----the 5 or 6 wars we are now involved in is spinning the debt meter.

Where were was all the republ. opposition when the national debt was raised 7---yes 7 times during The 2000-2008 Bush adm to the tune of 4.2 trillion dollars----ah yes, I dont remember any deep opposition from concerned debt controllers.

It is silly to argue---we need to cut deeply and dutifully---sooner than later----but a default---please-----

Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
"The president's veto threat was followed by a full-on assault from administration officials who blasted the GOP proposal as "extreme, radical [and] unprecedented.""

That explains exactly what the GOP are proposing. They are trying to limit and cap spending to essential services like medicare, medicaid, education,..etc while refusing to cut a penny out of their own outrageous spending.
Compromise means both sides need to tighten their belts. The dems have 4 trillion in cuts on the table, the republicans nothing.
It is time for you to provide us with the cuts they suggest that total up to $4. Can you do that or do you just have to keep saying they have that amount on the table?

I guess you don't know that the Republicans did, at least, propose a budget that provided a number of cuts. NOt enough but a number anyway. How many budgets did the Dems pass when they controlled the Congress, both houses, and the Presidency? You do know that the answer to that is none, don't you.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
We have defaulted numerous times before???? The only other US default I can find is the 1933 default during the great depression and transition to the gold standard-----please list the other numerous defaults---
numerous defaults have taken place

Quote:
It is time to address spending redections----no argument. Everything needs to reviewed including medicare, medicaid, social security, and yes indeed national defense-----the 5 or 6 wars we are now involved in is spinning the debt meter.
No argument from me.. I'm all for going back to the 1990's, when Demcorats were whining that poor people would have to eat cat food, but the reality is, incomes rose, revenues rose, as people found jobs
Quote:
Where were was all the republ. opposition when the national debt was raised 7---yes 7 times during The 2000-2008 Bush adm to the tune of 4.2 trillion dollars----ah yes, I dont remember any deep opposition from concerned debt controllers.
Debts were falling after Bush enacted the 2003 tax cuts, creating economic growth. Why exactly should we oppose falling debt?

It was Democrats who whined about the national debt under Bush, and then soon as Congress became Democratic, we havent heard a peep out of them while they double the national debt in 4 years. Congress controlls budgets and spending, not the President, you do know that right?
Quote:
It is silly to argue---we need to cut deeply and dutifully---sooner than later----but a default---please-----
I actually think we do need to default, and as an investor in government leased facilities, this would mean I'd go without income for while.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It is time for you to provide us with the cuts they suggest that total up to $4. Can you do that or do you just have to keep saying they have that amount on the table?

I guess you don't know that the Republicans did, at least, propose a budget that provided a number of cuts. NOt enough but a number anyway. How many budgets did the Dems pass when they controlled the Congress, both houses, and the Presidency? You do know that the answer to that is none, don't you.
Google is your friend there old man, I'm sure you can figure it out

Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Google is your friend there old man, I'm sure you can figure it out
I've tried google without success, maybe you can help by linking us to these wonderful Obama proposals to cut spending..

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
he can't so he won't.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
We argee on the fact the only viable option for our nation is to start to take a paring knife and to whittle away.

I am going to be 62-----yet even I am willing to concede that it is time to even look at social security.

Without getting redundant----this is going to required shared pain. There is going to be resentment and some anguish------every instance of belt tightening is going to bring out howling.

We can also agree to disagree----a default will be disgraceful---a humilation and once again a rolling of the dice----Boehner even said it would be a crapshoot.

We need a reorganization and new direction---debt reduction with some compromise----a crapshoot with a national debt default---please we are better than that.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We cannot compromise the future of America away.
You can't compromise, you mean you won't compromise because the compromise entails one simple thing, ending a temporary tax cut that is long past its sell by date. The only future that the GOP is concerned with its own, you don't give a damn about America, and it would be nice to stop pretending that you do.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Florida Bob is correct----Cap cut and balance is a dog and pony show. The legislation has zero chance in the senate and is strictly a tactic that is being used to have that faction check all the boxes and let their supporters know that they tried all they could try.

Why do you think it has zero chance in the Senate? I would like to believe that our elected senators could do the right thing and act responsibly, to pass this bill. It simply forces congress to live within our means, no more, no less. Do you actually think that our Senate cares nothing about the obligations they are saddling future generations with? Or about the economic viability of this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies