Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,794,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I don't think so. We progressives think this way:

If you make $1 Million, you pay $900,000

If you make $100,000, you pay $60,000

If you make $10,000, you need to sign up for government free money that would give you a guaranteed annual income of $40,000.

If you make no money, you need to sign up for government free money that would give you a guaranteed annual income of $40,000.

FUBO
Occurs to me that anyone making $100K or under would be a fool to continue to work when their after tax income would be the same as not working. Most would immediately quit and collect the guaranteed annual income of $40K while enjoying sleeping late and not having to deal with that pesky thing called a job.

Of course once all the folks making under $100K do just that, you'd need to tax all those making over $100K at a steeper rate to make up for the losses... and then that group would quit ... and on and on it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Occurs to me that anyone making $100K or under would be a fool to continue to work when their after tax income would be the same as not working. Most would immediately quit and collect the guaranteed annual income of $40K while enjoying sleeping late and not having to deal with that pesky thing called a job.

Of course once all the folks making under $100K do just that, you'd need to tax all those making over $100K at a steeper rate to make up for the losses... and then that group would quit ... and on and on it goes.
Welfare is just another way to reaping a windfall for the government. It's a win win for them and lose lose for citizens who are shouldered with paying for it.

People only have to look at when modern welfare was created. LBJ needed something to get the focus off the Viet Nam war and apease civil rights unrest:

"For example, Johnson started the current Food Stamp program in 1965 with 424,000 participants, which grew to 2.2 million by the time he left office in 1968. In the first two years of Nixon’s presidency, the number doubled; but between 1970 and 1972 it quintupled. By 1980, the number of people receiving Food Stamps was 21.1 million, fifty times the amount in 1965, ten times what it was at the end of Johnson’s administration. Further, using constant 1980 dollars, welfare spending grew by $30 billion during the five Johnson years, but by $80 billion between 1968 and 1973, an increase 2.7 times larger than under LBJ. The full truth is that, in principle, the United States became a welfare state under FDR in the 1930s, that LBJ increased the programs enormously in the late 1960s, and the massive spending of the past thirty years commenced in the early 1970s"

http://www.andrewbernstein.net/articles/7_welfarestate.htm (broken link)

Although I'm not in agreement with much of Bernsteins' reasoning, this is worth a read.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 PM

83 posts, read 130,567 times
The idea that only 50% of Americans pay income tax is a myth...

The Myth Of Income Tax Freeloading - Forbes.com

...one that has, over and over, been refuted.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,066,468 times
The total assets of Bill Gates is $58 billion.
The total assests of Warren Buffet is $15 billion.
If you totally confiscated all assests of both, it would run the country for only 6 days. No amount of confiscating billionaires money will solve the problem. WE ARE SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY THAT WE DON'T HAVE.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The value of the dollar is a lot more for someone who is poor than for someone who is rich. This is what we refer to when someone says "because the rich can afford it." 10% to someone making $10,000 is $1,000. That leaves them with $9,000 to spend on food, housing, etc.

To someone making $1,000,000, 10% is just $100,000. Sure, that's 100x what the poor person is paying, but the rich person has a whopping 900,000 to spend for the same exact things the poor man has $9,000 to spend. This is why flat taxes do not and can not work. It disadvantages the poor and working class, because costs do not scale.

What? I didn't hear you over the sound of facts.

What is this thing you refer to that has "stood us in good stead."

First, the wealth distribution is sickening in this country. We are a third-world country, the wealth should be falling from the top and to the bottom, as Reagan promised.

With that, the wealthy still aren't paying their share of taxes, and neither is the upper class. It's all burdened on the poor and middle class.

Third.

How am I supposed to "get a clue" if you can't actually articulate how you think this is a free-ride for people. While you're at it, define a "free-ride."

I reject your claims without evidence. Statistics from both the Census bureau and show that these programs do work.

The 2011 Statistical Abstract: Social Insurance & Human Services

I'll have to find the testimony, but some research that was done into the effectiveness a program found two interesting results. One was that the vast majority of people that had ever used AFDC were on it for a period of a few months (which was essentially people falling on hard times). The vast majority of them. Welfare ate them up and spit them out pretty quickly.

The other finding was seemingly contradictory. It found that at any given time, 70% of the people on welfare had been using it for two years. When taken as a single snapshot, welfare looks abused, because 70% of the people that were on AFDC at that given time were on it for a long period. But that group of people was over-represented, because it didn't account for the millions that passed through, on welfare for a period of a few months. Find the abusers and stop them, but don't throw the baby out with the bath-water.

You are but a small part of a larger society. The total health of the society is considered as well as the health of individuals. It is your responsibility to be a functional member of society. For those that have trouble being functional members, we aid them to do so--which evidence shows to work. If you don't need the help--don't take it, no one is forcing you. But for those that do need it, we have it. That's the purpose of welfare.

Because they contain the greatest wealth, and the value of a dollar is less to them than to us, as I've mentioned over a dozen times, is because costs do not scale to your income or your wealth. A $5 sandwich is $5 to me and $5 to Bill Gates. The difference is, I have significantly less wealth proportionally after having bought that sandwich that Bill Gates does. As a result, my money is more valuable per dollar.

Combine that with the economy functioning from demand-side economics, and if 80-90% of your population can't afford to spend money, you don't have an economy. The tax burden is there because they can afford it.

Because the greatest wealth is concentrated in the smallest hands. The poor may be great in number, but not in power or money. You can't run a country on 35 pence.

A republic protects against the tyranny of a singular democratic majority. It is there to protect minorities from destruction by a majority. However, a tremendously wealthy power-elite don't need protection if they are causing the harm in the first place.

Of the poor and middle-class, of 80 to 90 percent of the populace.

If your market is over taxed and has no money to spend, you have no demand for the goods you produce. You can create supply all you want, but that isn't going to create a demand for those products. The easiest way to explain the failure of trickle-down economics.

We grind to a halt because the market has no wealth and is over-taxed. Reducing taxes on the poor and middle class, and moving it back to the wealthy--who've always paid higher taxes (as described above) will free up middle-class to accrue wealth. With wealth comes demand, with demand comes an economy.

Which practices?

Which regulations?

The benefits of social programs far outweigh the costs. It widens the tax base and improves the nation's GDP, everything a budging conservative wants.

Clever, but backwards. The rich control a variety of politicians, particularly ones disinteRested in the common good. These politicians that aren't interested in the common good, are interested in among other things, the lining of their own pockets.

The poor, despite your disillusioned beliefs, don't actually want to be poor. Which is why the majority of them end up not on welfare. Those "handouts" like police departments, public schools, and national parks, benefit this nation in positive ways that could not be accomplished or trusted in private hands. Ethics is disinterested in war for profit.

This isn't a class war. It's reality we're trying to deal with. A section of this country is tremendously wealthy, and they aren't paying their dues. Some are more than willing to do so (read: Soros, Gates, Buffet, etc.) Some Aren't. (Read: Murdoch).

In what way?

Name one it doesn't have Authority to commence.

Explain how.

I've already shown explicitly how damaging flat-taxes, no matter how ancient you want to go, are dangerous. Flat-taxes destroy the poor and concentrate wealth, just as we have now, in the upper classes.

Maybe this is why it was abandoned for a progressive income tax?

They were found to be direct taxes, which had to be apportioned via constitution. Subsequent precedences and laws found that taxation of income is an indirect tax--which it is as a result of being a transfer of labor to currency, and not property to currency--and as such liable to being taxed without apportion to the states.

That is to say, so that wealthy people couldn't get away with very few taxes for the wealth they began to accuulate. The apportionment of direct taxes was devised so that property owners--in this case the Southerns, who had large tracts of land and lots of slave property, didn't have to pay gargantuan taxes on their property which didn't actually provide much income.

So, you were going to say something else?

Except this isn't the case at all! Indirect taxes existed before the 16th amendment, income was never oridingally taxed, however. When income was taxed directly, it was found unconstitutional. Only by defining it as an indirect tax was congress able to tax income. And you know what? They were right, because congress expressed concern over the increase in wealth of the top classes of people, because their incomes far exceeded the working poor of that time.

Where else are we experiencing this?

What are we overspending on? There is a correct answer, let's see if you get it right.

Except as consistently demonstrated, flat taxes don't share the burden.

What "incentive" is there to buying votes that didn't exist prior? Those flat taxes only existed for property. And indirect taxes were subject to the taxation, as I believe you put it, "whims" of congress. That included capital and transfer taxes. The direct tax appropriations were specifically limited to individuals and their property, and only because the south had lots of property that didn't earn them much income.

What claim that they don't care?

To mandate people pay higher taxes to be more in proportion with their accumulated wealth? How is this against a free society? Nobody is forced to pay their taxes, but they'll suffer consequenes for doing it. These things called "laws" pretty much govern every action we do. I guess that means no one is totally free because we have to drive on the right side of the road?

My goodness, where did all this straw come from.

Yes, we do. And even still, people are attacking education like crazy.

No, demand does. Education creates competent workers, who can fill jobs.

25% of the populace has some college. That leaves 75% of the people with nothing. They are left with little more than high-school educations or worse. Our economy and workforce needs to be smarter, especially considering the number of positions we have open that no one is filling because no one has the skills for them. Welfare needs to include some kind of post-secondary education as well, to get people into jobs. With the way welfare works now, it isn't give us our best bang for the buck. I covered this previously in this thread.

Ambiguous phrasing. It takes many people to build a bridge, including architects, engineers, and scientists.

In what way?

The "achievements" which destroy our quality of life are not achievements. There is no travesty in the regulation of nuclear waste, not atrocity in limits on pollution in our air.

Don't bring that **** here. Money is power, and the rich have all of it.

The recent Wal-Mart case was a travesty, where millions of poor, working-class women were denied their legal rights because the Supreme Court felt that the case was too diverse? That each women now had to take on Wal-Mart by themselves, their $200 a month extra for a lawyer against the 200 a month Lawyer's Wal-Mart had in their army.

It's a simple fact. The peon doesn't have wealth, and doesn't have power. In aggregate, we get it--which is why we have Unions and special interest groups. As a collective, we have power. As a single person, the poor don't. The wealthy have tremendous power as individuals, so take your sycophant bull**** elsewhere.

"More taxes" does not equal "more government."

More government doesn't give wealthy people any more power than it gives to the poor, because the government, in terms of this republic, is the power. The government denatures power from the wealthy and from the poor, and brokers it. The problem is that the wealthy through the corrupting influence of wealth have empowered themselves with government, not the other way around.

People see any laws that protect anyone as "more government." What they don't see as "more government" is the explosion of the Defense Department's budget, which has continued to go up and up and up. What they don't see is the continued funding of redundant agencies. What they do see is funding of beneficial programs. Their minds are warped by conservative malinformation.

Meanwhile, poor people are still poor and conservatives have no solutions that work to help.

Social Security was something endorsed by the founding fathers. I'm pretty sure you've tried repeatedly to use this line of argument on me in order to abolish taxes, why wouldn't work to keep them?

That's not actually how Social Security works. $10 a paycheck, 26 paychecks...$260 a year?

This doesn't actually help at all, because it doesn't actually help people that can't help themselves, which is one of the purposes of welfare in the first place. When people are spending every penny they earn on goods and services because they don't make a living wage, they can't save anything. Your argument fails. I've addressed that above as well. "Promoting" isn't just about talk--talk is cheap. It's about enacting programs that promote general welfare of society as well, just as anti-biotics promote good health.

I'll suggest something equally radical from the "left" side of the camp. Let's nationalize all of the Oil industry.

Instead of cutting taxes which are actually used for good, how about we shift the tax burden from the poor and middle-class, who are over-paying, to the wealthy, who are under-paying. That way, we free up 90% of the country's spending power, and get the country moving again. Social Security and Medicare are beans compared to what we could save by cutting taxes in half for the middle-class and working poor, and increasing it by 10 to 15 percent on the wealthy, back to where they would be paying their fair share.

Bases.

Actually a good idea with exceptions. One of the reasons we have bases is to provide global outreach of power if needed. We don't need a hundred over-sea bases, but half that would probably suffice. In the meantime, we should be cutting corporate welfare for defense industry contractors as well who haven't actually provided a product in years.

Here is where we disagree. Roughly 25% of the budget goes to defense, Medicair, and Social Security. As I stated, one of those is paid for by its own tax. Everything else falls under the other 25%. I see no reason to cut "as much as possible." A lot of things we enjoy today would not exist without government spending, subsidizing, and the like. For example, lasers. Our "pet projects" benefit us in unseen ways.

I don't see the reason why polluting our water, or following this lie of supply-side economics would do anything of value. You can't create an economy by taking regulations and taxes of corporations. We can't compete with the power of China's manufacturing base. They pay their employees beans. We can't simply isolate the U.S. from the global economy, because we can't pay our people in beans.

If you want to move this economy, you have to get money back to the 90% market, which means shifting the tax burden from everyone else to the wealthy, who have less value for each dollar. You require demand before you even think about supply. If there is no demand for a product, no amount of tax cuts or deregulation will create demand.

Flat-tax doesn't work. You'll cripple the spending power of the majority who's contributions even now are about 18% of the revenue. Jacking that up might bring more wealthy into the government, but it'll completely destroy the spending power because people will have even less to spend than they already do. If you want to increase revenues, you must take it from someone who already has wealth. Or, alternatively, rebalance the tax-burdens so that people can go off and buy things, which builds the economy and now we can talk about paying off the debt. We need to close the deficit, and you aren't going to get there by raising taxes or lowering the spending power on the middle-class and working poor.

"reduce government" in what way? Throwing out social safety nets which keep people solvent? Killing the poor and elderly? Lowering our standards of living? Nothing you've really offered, with the exception of cutting defense spending, has actually been of any use.
Your posts are like a Castro, Lenin, Mao etc., speech. They drone one forever - but say nothing.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Initially? Which is why these sources I have are--my opinion?

Social Darwinism did not bring up this country. The founding fathers saw it fit to protect the minority from the majority views, and elect leaders to make difficult decisions.

The only people whining here is you and your ilk. Those "dependent" on welfare are very few in numbers. Most people are on and then off again rather shortly. Safety nets keep people from staying in poverty.

So, the opposite of this would be the entertainment industry, where people make absurd levels of income for very little work.

Taxation is not "wrong." The avoidance of fair taxes by the wealthy is "wrong," and so is the dumping of that tax burden onto the middle and lower classes.

And are you suggested you have a perpetual motion machine that doesn't operate in a room-temperature environment? Considering reality already exists, and reality shows that welfare programs work as advertised, and that reality shows the wealthy skipping out on their taxes, is somehow less real than a perpetual motion machine?
More mindless drivel from the perpetually leaking faucet. Your platitudes and gibberish are the stuff of sick minds and sick thinking. Only the "poor" mind paying fair taxes. What people object to is repressive, punitive taxes, like the ones you seem to find "orgasmic" in their desirability.

And I don't have any "Ilk". I have fellow Americans - freedom loving, hardworking, self-reliant, non-parasite fellow Americans. You have nobody worth having - just parasites and noer do wells.

Feel free to blather on with more rubbish. You are your positions own worst enemy. The more you blather, the less people support such positions, so blather at will.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
The idea that only 50% of Americans pay income tax is a myth...

The Myth Of Income Tax Freeloading - Forbes.com

...one that has, over and over, been refuted.
The exact figure is 45%, as the IRS has it.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM

83 posts, read 130,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
The exact figure is 45%, as the IRS has it.
Present evidence, please.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,500,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The total assets of Bill Gates is $58 billion.
The total assests of Warren Buffet is $15 billion. If you totally confiscated all assests of both, it would run the country for only 6 days. No amount of confiscating billionaires money will solve the problem. WE ARE SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY THAT WE DON'T HAVE.
Actually it would.

Two people of some three million. The total financial wealth of the U.S. household was. in 2009, 55 Trillion dollars. If you confiscated all of that, the government would run for several years. Let's break it down more.

Of that, 83% is controlled by the top 20% of the people in the United States. 55t * .83 = 45.65 trillion dollars. Country would still work for a several years. But we're not interested in taking it all.

Our debt is 14.7 trillion dollars. If you took 38%, which is what they should be paying (but aren't), you're looking at roughly 17.3 trillion dollars.

For a 14.7 trillion dollar debt. A lot of their income is not generated through actual income from businesses, but through dividends and capital gains, both of which aren't counted against the income tax. They have their own, lower tax rates. As a result, they end up paying less than what they should be paying if it were counted as income. Not to mention they have significantly lower payroll taxes as well.

When you break it down, the wealthiest people pay less per total federal taxes in relation to their wealth than the bottom 80%. In fact, the bottom 80% is overtaxed by a factor of 2.

The government revenue right now I believe someone posted was 15% of the GDP. It ranges between 15 and 21%, which is a difference of almost 1 trillion dollars. As of current, each percentage point is roughly 150 billion dollars.

75% of it is tied into social security--which is mandatory spending (and taxed on its own tax), Medicaid, which is mandatory spending and taxed on its own tax, and Defense, which is discretionary spending, and one of but a few programs that constantly gets more money, despite being larger than the next ten largest countries combined in terms of defense spending.

So, if the wealthy paid their fair share of taxes on Payroll for Medicaid and Social Security, those are paid for. In the mean time, you have to justify why we spend half of our taxes dollars on the defense budget.

Quote:
Your posts are like a Castro, Lenin, Mao etc., speech. They drone one forever - but say nothing.
Speaking of saying nothing, you just have. Ad Hominem attacks are the last bastion of those without argument.

Quote:
More mindless drivel from the perpetually leaking faucet. Your platitudes and gibberish are the stuff of sick minds and sick thinking. Only the "poor" mind paying fair taxes. What people object to is repressive, punitive taxes, like the ones you seem to find "orgasmic" in their desirability.

And I don't have any "Ilk". I have fellow Americans - freedom loving, hardworking, self-reliant, non-parasite fellow Americans. You have nobody worth having - just parasites and noer do wells.
That is fascist speak. The Jews are parasites, a blight upon this great nation of Germany. I mean. The Poor. The Poor are parasites upon this great nation of America. We should do away with them, force them into labor camps, show them what true work is, right Commandant? I can't help but notice this appears to be your attitude towards the disadvantaged.

Quote:
Feel free to blather on with more rubbish. You are your positions own worst enemy. The more you blather, the less people support such positions, so blather at will.
The more I present evidence, statistics, facts, and reason, the less you are willing to respond in kind. It means your position is weak and indefensible, which is why you attempt to demonize me by saying I speak like Mao, Lenin, and Castro. I'm glad to see I've won. Can we tax the rich now?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
Present evidence, please.
It was carried extensively in the news about a month ago. Do your own research and keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies