Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
If the cost of living is $35,000, and people are only making $10,000, why would you tax them? Taxing someone who doesn't make enough to survive is backwards.

So, among other options, we can enforce stronger minimum wage laws, provide people working these jobs a more livable wage. We can tax those who make extraordinary amounts a higher percentage, providing a tighter wealth distribution, and providing needed services to those who don't make livable wages, and we can invest in post-secondary education for those unable to afford it as well. If you want a prosperous people, you need educated people, and that's very difficult to do when you're working two jobs because your employer doesn't pay you enough and oafs think it's okay to starve you to death.
If the cost of living is $35K and they only make $10K then THEY SHOULD MOVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM

89,021 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The left needs to grow up and stop whining about taxes because the household making $250,000 CAN'T AFFORD a damn private jet
Sure they can. Obama said they're "the rich."

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
What is it with this 10K a year nonsense? Even a job at McDs will pay more than that. Anyway, the idea of a flat tax system is to eliminate all of those loopholes that the left scream about daily. Isn't that what you want, everyone to pay? That system would ensure everyone pays. But, in reality, that's not what the left wants. They want to punish the rich for their successes while rewarding the unsuccessful. And let's be honest here, those 50% that pay no tax at all are not all in that situation because of circumstances beyond their control or bad luck. That would be a whole heck of a lot of bad luck, which is statistically improbable, if not impossible.

So, I ask this, why is the left not in support of a tax system that would ensure people pay their fair share and not have the loophole method to circumvent taxes? Or do you really just want to punish the rich? That's class warfare...at least be honest about your intentions.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
I would estimate that 90% of the American population doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that some uneducated worker making 30k only pays 5k in taxes, whereas a freshout of college who makes a mere 40k has to pay 12k/year.

And someone who makes 2x what X-uneducated-loser makes 2x30=60k,

then that person pays 30% of 60k or around 18k/year.

So even WITH the flat tax, the educated hardworking graduate of an engineering program, for example, still pays 3x what some idiot liberal secretary or "artist" pays.

The rich already pay more.

51%+ only pay 6k or less. We've reached a tipping point. Hip Hip horay for losers! you won!
Actually, 51% now pay NO Federal Income Tax.
Quote:
In summary, for tax year 2009, approximately 22 percent of all tax units, including filers and non filers, will have zero income tax liability, approximately 30% will receive a refundable credit, and approximately 49% will have a positive income tax liability.
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

Only 49% pay any Federal Income Tax.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Taxes based on income amount, is a penalty for being smart & prosperous.
It is self-defeating.
Which is why the country is currently imploding.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Lets continue with the OPs thought process...

I think the rich should pay more in taxes, well, because they can "afford" it. Never mind that they currently carry the vast majority of the tax burden in this country.

I think the poor should pay more...47% pay no income tax, many others get money back (EITC) as a welfare check at tax time.

I think I should have a tax cut..MY taxes are too high. Whimper...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you make 1million, you pay $100,000 in taxes.

If you make $100,000, you pay $10,000 in taxes.

If you make $10,000, you pay $1,000 in taxes.

Just wanted to make sure progressives know I'm right there with them
I think no one should pay taxes.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Why should someone who makes more be taxed more? What reasoning is there? I have more so I should give more? No. You want more then you work to get more just like the rest of us. The man who wants to get ahead but doesn't isn't trying hard enough.
I think the real problem is Big Money hiding from the tax man, the "Rich" have legalized tax evasion, start with or abolish the tax code.

I see more parasitic behavior at the top than the bottom, most people achieve uber-wealth through legislation that precludes others, rich types are predatorial, I don't see poor people behaving that way, they don't care they just want the basic needs met, I don't think we should demonize people for that.Think of it in your terms, it just means less competition.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
I think the real problem is Big Money hiding from the tax man, the "Rich" have legalized tax evasion, start with or abolish the tax code.

I see more parasitic behavior at the top than the bottom, most people achieve uber-wealth through legislation that precludes others, rich types are predatorial, I don't see poor people behaving that way, they don't care they just want the basic needs met, I don't think we should demonize people for that.Think of it in your terms, it just means less competition.
No "predatorial" behavior from the poor? Welfare abuse, food stamp fraud?? Any of those ring a bell? Look, if a person is determined to be engaged in "parasitic behavior", as you put it, they are going to do it regardless of the amount of money they have or do not have.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Why should someone who makes more be taxed more? What reasoning is there? I have more so I should give more? No.

You want more then you work to get more just like the rest of us. The man who wants to get ahead but doesn't isn't trying hard enough
Theoretical situation:

At Acme Manufacturing the Shop Floor Supervisor is going to be retiring soon. There are 47 people working under him. The company will promote from within because they have a number of well qualified employees to fill the position. So lets say that number is 6. All 6 are considered and their abilities are about comparable but the company only needs one Supervisor and one of them gets the position.

Must the other 5 quit and find some other supervisory position if they want to get ahead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies