Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Why and how will things improve?
First off, the economy will get better. We are gradually working through the foreclosed homes that have littered the landscape. Second, I think Mr. O will get reelected. He has more political talent than the whole rest of the field put together. And despite all the braying, the right wingers would not be doing a bit better right now. When he sweeps to reelection, a good number of Tea Partiers will be ejected from the game for lewd behavior, and then the rest of the folks will play ball more fairly. Americans will learn from this recession, and hopefully will make better financial decisions.

I can dream can't I?

I will say that things don't look promising for true lefties. Unless the TP gets creamed in 2012, we will have to shoot for the center or center left. I don't see the far left gaining power soon. I would not complain. Clinton was about 1000% percent better than Bush, so I can do just fine in the middle. Adjust your expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
First off, the economy will get better. We are gradually working through the foreclosed homes that have littered the landscape. Second, I think Mr. O will get reelected. He has more political talent than the whole rest of the field put together. And despite all the braying, the right wingers would not be doing a bit better right now. When he sweeps to reelection, a good number of Tea Partiers will be ejected from the game for lewd behavior, and then the rest of the folks will play ball more fairly. Americans will learn from this recession, and hopefully will make better financial decisions.

I can dream can't I?

I will say that things don't look promising for true lefties. Unless the TP gets creamed in 2012, we will have to shoot for the center or center left. I don't see the far left gaining power soon. I would not complain. Clinton was about 1000% percent better than Bush, so I can do just fine in the middle. Adjust your expectations.
Well, I think all of us on the left have done is to adjust our expectations. We just wanted someone to be straight with us and to uphold his commitments. That's all. Maybe we're too naive.

With 80% of his base against him, I am just not seeing re-election. Of course, as in 2008 the alternative was so much worse so maybe it's possible. The RW can't seem to come up with anyone decent so maybe he will be re-elected. Clinton was re-elected twice (with no Supreme Court involved nor Diebold) and left us with a surplus. That is worth noticing.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Sorry, mistygirl, but this thread is sinking like a Dolf Lundgren movie.

Anyhow, hope you cheer up soon. Obama may seem bad, but...keep the faith. Things will improve.

Keep the faith, what are you kidding?

Fifteen family's i know have been affected by this dumb--- administration and THE HOPE AND CHANGE PRESIDENT, give it a rest.

Fifteen family's i know middleaged, have lost their prized loyal job, that they have been on some for 25 years, starting as teenagers.

Mechanics, Management, Banker, CPA'S Supervisors, i can go on Oh and 2 weeks ago, in my State, the fifteen victim of Obama, was also a Vending Supervisor. Some lost their most prized asset, their homes. These people will not cheer up, some lost their jobs last year, and still have not found one to replace the job they lost.

Thruout the different States, people i know, have sadly lost their jobs, and a home too.
So i ask of you what the hek FAITH. Unless you know of someone on a personal level who has lost their job, and a home, or just their job, the reality cannot hit you. The depression, and the anger from being a loyal employee and then losing your job, is not for a healthy appetite.

It is quite sickening to see people you know struggle, i can try and be supportive, and try and help the best way i can, if they were too ask me for help i would help them, but the people i know have too much damn pride. Not kidding, this is depressing, nerving to the point of stressing one self out. I just don't understand one damn thing, from the Man that preached constant HOPE AND CHANGE YES WE CAN, well if this was the help he was talking about, he should have kept his trap shut.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

Fifteen family's i know have been affected by this dumb--- administration and THE HOPE AND CHANGE PRESIDENT, give it a rest.

Fifteen family's i know middleaged, have lost their prized loyal job, that they have been on some for 25 years, starting as teenagers.

Mechanics, Management, Banker, CPA'S Supervisors, i can go on Oh and 2 weeks ago, in my State, the fifteen victim of Obama, was also a Vending Supervisor. Some lost their most prized asset, their homes. These people will not cheer up, some lost their jobs last year, and still have not found one to replace the job they lost.

Thruout the different States, people i know, have sadly lost their jobs, and a home too.
So i ask of you what the hek FAITH. Unless you know of someone on a personal level who has lost their job, and a home, or just their job, the reality cannot hit you. The depression, and the anger from being a loyal employee and then losing your job, is not for a healthy appetite.

It is quite sickening to see people you know struggle, i can try and be supportive, and try and help the best way i can, if they were too ask me for help i would help them, but the people i know have too much damn pride. Not kidding, this is depressing, nerving to the point of stressing one self out. I just don't understand one damn thing, from the Man that preached constant HOPE AND CHANGE YES WE CAN, well if this was the help he was talking about, he should have kept his trap shut.
800,000 jobs were lost in Bush's last month in office. Month prior to that 700,000. I think you're blaming the wrong guy.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

Well, I suppose the incumbent always gets blamed to some degree. But ascribing recent meltdown to Obama qualifies one as logically impaired. Here is my guess, you were rabidly partisan in 2008, and the sooner as you could smear Obama with this, the better you liked it. However, we both know it is a lie. But better than facing up to the fact that your conservative leadership was grotesquely incompetent, and all the billionaires with tax breaks weren't going to save you. Now, do you want to through Clinton/Gore in with Bush/Cheney on this one (and the congresses over the last 15 years)? If so, I could probably roll with it. The all shared the koolaid. Truth is Obama's presidency was torpedoed by the buffoonery of the previous administrations. Give the man a fair shake. Of course, if the economy does turn around, you will credit the TP types won't you? I am with the OP on this one.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
You can't blame him for the meltdown, but can blame him for not doing enough in his stimulus bill.

Furthermore, he's pivoted 180 degrees and embraced right wing Hooverism where he is fully on board with cutting middle class benefits, not taxing the rich, and cutting government spending in the middle of a downturn. He's doing nothing for a serious jobs program either.

His actions and inaction in this respect will hurt the middle class and help rich elites.

When are liberals going to realize that he's not a "weak negotiator" or playing some complicated political game of chess?

He's wants to cut middle class benefits. He's not willing to seriously raise taxes on the wealthy. This is what he wants. To maintain his status with the rich and powerful in this country.

He does not give a damn about the poor or middle class. He is a careerist.

George Carlin bluntly describes the situation today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI

Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
IF Obama gets re elected it will be because that true powers that run things know they have a useful idiot that they can make do whatever they wish. Much like Bush, but even moreso. If they feel he no longer has the salesmanship to put a friendly face on the screwing of the average american citizen, they'll let us replace him and put somebody else in thay can push around or eventually push around. If they can't, they'll replace that person by the next eelction. And by replace I mean voted out of office. I don't want any nitwits saying I mean anything otherwise.
Obama came into this with too much baggage, too many secrets and too little ability. He was easily controlled but fell far short of being able to project the image of a leader. He can't song and dance and smile his way through a continuation of the Bush policies even if he's propped up by the media. The economy might get better in spite of him, it won't get better through him. All you have to have happen is that his poll numbers skew low enough that no one can fake it enough for him to win by manipulating the election results.
You'll see the full measure of the guy the day he leaves office. He'll turn his back on the american people and the country.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
First off, the economy will get better. We are gradually working through the foreclosed homes that have littered the landscape. ...........snip....... Clinton was about 1000% percent better than Bush, so I can do just fine in the middle. Adjust your expectations.

uhm

bush1, clinton, bush2, obama....all globalists...all the same

look at the problems we face today:

JOBS....'freetrade' NAFTA( and its following other freetrade agreements)------originally pushed by Brezezenki and his puppet Carter....moved along by Reagan----negotiated by another brezezenki puppet bush1--- passed in 1993 by the democrat controlled congress, pushed by clinton, signed by clinton------inceased with CAFTA by bush2-----increased by obama (his OFTA)------the consequence ...... 60+ million HIGH PAYING jobs have been lost, 2 trillion worth of debt from the lost wages.

HOUSING.....1995 clinton (through his chief of HUD (Henry Cisneros and later his second chief andrew coumo(now the governor of New York)) eased the rules on obtaining mortgages allowing more 'exotic' mortgages and 'no-doc/low doc' mortgages---------the consequence ............housing SKYROCKETED causing low inventories causing a 'not normal' increase in home prices, sellers got greedy, buyers got even greedier (looking to PROFIT in a skyrocketing market by flipping) and bought THINKING that prices would still increase and their ADJUSTABLE mortgage would pay it self off in MINIMUMAL years...EVEN THOUGH THESE INCREASES IN HOME VALUES WERE TOTALLY UNHEARD OF, AND MORTGAGE RATES WERE AT 40 YEAR LOWS( what did they think an adjustable mortgage gotten at 40 year lows would do in the term(3 months-3years) when it adjusted...of course it would go up, their CONTRACT even said after the term it would be 6% PLUS PRIME)))
For many potential homebuyers, the lack of cash available to accumulate the required downpayment and closing costs is the major impediment to purchasing a home. Other households do not have sufficient available income to to make the monthly payments on mortgages financed at market interest rates for standard loan terms. Financing strategies, fueled by the creativity and resources of the private and public sectors, should address both of these financial barriers to homeownership."

The above is the start of the mortgage meltdown: .......Clinton's National Homeownership Strategy

1996 clinton signed The Telecommunications Act of 1996 (The Act was claimed to foster competition. Instead, it allowed industry consolidation whose actions reduced the number of major media companies from around 30 in 1993 to 10 in 1996, and reducing the 10 in 1996 to 6 in 2005.) causing MONOPOLIES, which can RAISE PRICES

1998 clinton does not allow drilling for OUR OWN OIL..the liberals say 'it will take ten years before we seee the oil'...guess what its been ten years

1999 Clinton DEREGULATES the banking industry

2000 clinton signs the China trade bill

2000 clinton signs the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000..(which paves the way for ENRON)

2000/1 clinton pushes to get china into the world bank

Quote:
Clinton was re-elected twice and left us with a surplus. That is worth noticing.
false, bush inherited a 5.87 trillion dollar debt from ALL previous admins

what surplus

Fiscal
Year........ YearEnding.... ..National Debt.......... Deficit

FY1994.... 09/30/1994.... $4.192749 trillion.... $281.26 billion
FY1995.... 09/29/1995.... $4.973982 trillion.... $281.23 billion
FY1996.... 09/30/1996.... $5.224810 trillion.... $250.83 billion
FY1997.... 09/30/1997.... $5.413146 trillion.... $188.34 billion
FY1998.... 09/30/1998.... $5.526193 trillion.... $113.05 billion
FY1999.... 09/30/1999.... $5.656270 trillion.... $130.08 billion
FY2000.... 09/29/2000.... $5.674178 trillion.... $17.91 billion
FY2001.... 09/28/2001.... $5.870463 trillion.... $133.29 billion

so here is the question

IF there was a surplus.for 2-3-4 years...........why did the DEBT go from 3.9 trillion to 5.87 trillion????????????????????????

the FACT is that the clinton/newt budgets had a PROJECTED surplus..for "on-budget"...but the "off-budget" spending brought a DEFICIT

an example that even you could follow:

you earn (after taxes) 60k...you BUDGET 58k..you have a PROJECTED SURPLUS of 2k.....during the year your transmission on your car goes...1k...your washer/dryer bust...2k..and you DECIDE to buy a bigscreen ty...2k.....you have now gone from a 2k PROJECTED surplus to a 3k DEFICIT

the simple FACT is clinton never had a real surplus...

you have to remember OFF BUDGET spending is not SHOWN on the budget...like all the floods currently happening in the midwest...or the money to haiti and pakistan.......all OFF BUDGET..all increase the debt

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
As far as I am concerned Obama is finished in the White House.I will not vote for him again

Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
What this means for the future is we're doomed. Of course, after the damage of the Bush administration we were most likely doomed anyway. The word I would use to describe Obama these days would be wimp.

I cannot believe he thinks the lower and middle classes haven't suffered enough. I still listen to people like Ed Schultz, but I also realize these liberal talk show hosts are forced to continue to defend him. That is how they make their living.

Anyway, I'm disgusted. Are there any liberals out there who can change my mind? I do not need to hear "we told you so" from those on the right, as it was your party who brought the country down.
The "problem" is that today in America, liberal policies have about a zero percent chance of happening.

About 40 percent of the population is conservative, about 40 percent moderate, and about 20 percent liberal. Any Democratic president that was truly a liberal would get crushed in any election. The only way for them to succeed is to move to the center, basically scaring away most moderates from electing the Republican candidate.

Of course, to a hardcore liberal, Obama seems like a failure. To the quiet moderates out there (who don't post much,) I'd say the general consensus is that we don't really think he's doing a good job, but the Republican alternative (unless certain moderate candidates are nominated) is probably worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies