Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
More class struggle b.s.
I want a far smaller federal government and zero income tax for everyone.
Can't be more fair than that.
Our infrastructure is falling apart

We need to put Americans to work repairing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
How about capital gains? There are many different ways to cut your capital gains, from 'depreciating values' of rented property to 'depreciating' the values of assets. Most of those 'lower earning individuals' you mention don't have property they rent out, nor do they have other 'assets' to depreciate. Most of those 'lower earning individuals' barely have enough income to pay rent, buy food to eat and clothing to wear. I should know - I'm now one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What I did was get some write offs.
And how would I do that, when every dime coming in is already slated to go out for the rent, food or clothing? And I'm not talking about expensive food or clothing, either - haven't bought new clothing in a dozen years - last new clothes I bought was in 1998, to wear to my husband's funeral. All my clothes now come from thrift shops and my food is the cheapest brands I can find at the supermarket. My only 'splurge' would be my books and DVDs.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
As per usual, the concept of "Tax Breaks", "Tax Exempt", and "Wealthy" flow like so much cheap wine. I love it. All of sudden everyone is a financial expert.

I am unaware of any Tax Break that the wealthy, whomever they may be, receive simply because they are wealthy. Somehow, I do not think such a thing would ever pass muster in a society such as ours.

Mortgages and IRAs are tax breaks for the wealthy? Well, it takes an alarmingly high level of ignorance if not stupidity to believe that. Mortgages and IRAs are held by a vast array of people. I have both and wealthy I am not.

40% of the population cannot save for their retirement? Where did that number come from? No doubt conjured up out of a bottle of cheap gin. Most people can afford to save something. Most people are also materialistic and skew their own priorities. I suspect this 40% has big screen TVs, a car or two, and cable TV amongst other things that are mysteriously deemed necessary and divert potential savings. Good grief, we are not living in Somalia.

If you think the tax rate on those earning over $250,000, or whatever the Robin Hood flavor of the day is, then say so and state why. Make your case. Certainly you can do so without spewing dishonesty that is both insidious as well as absurd?

40%. LOL! Yea sure and there were 276 Communists in the State Department. Or was it 341? No, 178. Whatever, where is that gin bottle?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
And how would I do that, when every dime coming in is already slated to go out for the rent, food or clothing? And I'm not talking about expensive food or clothing, either - haven't bought new clothing in a dozen years - last new clothes I bought was in 1998, to wear to my husband's funeral. All my clothes now come from thrift shops and my food is the cheapest brands I can find at the supermarket. My only 'splurge' would be my books and DVDs.
It can be done.

However, I wonder......how do you pay income taxes if you are in that position?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
How about capital gains? There are many different ways to cut your capital gains, from 'depreciating values' of rented property to 'depreciating' the values of assets. Most of those 'lower earning individuals' you mention don't have property they rent out, nor do they have other 'assets' to depreciate. Most of those 'lower earning individuals' barely have enough income to pay rent, buy food to eat and clothing to wear. I should know - I'm now one of them.
The people with the write offs are the ones taking the risk.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
This is the budget I followed two years ago, before I started my current job.

Monthly after tax: $2,551
Rent: $300 (crappy apartment shared with two roommates)
Utilities: $150
Bus Pass: $95
Food: $300 (at home and eating out)
Cell Phone: $50
Internet: $75
Health Insurance: $109
Misc. Spending: $120
Savings: $1,352

Now let's suppose you work a minimum wage job ($7.25/hr where I live). If I were on a low income hourly job, I would work 65 hours/week (enough to still have some free time)

65hrs/week, 50 weeks/year: $23,562/yr

Monthly after tax: $1,557
Rent: $300 (crappy apartment shared with two roommates)
Utilities: $150
Bus Pass: $95
Food: $300 (at home and eating out)
Cell Phone: $50
Internet: $75
Health Insurance: $109
Misc. Spending: $120
Savings: $358

$358 savings per month on a minimum wage job. Save that for a year and you have over $4,000, which is more than enough to open an investment portfolio. I opened my first portfolio with $500.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It can be done.

However, I wonder......how do you pay income taxes if you are in that position?
Currently, my income is so low that after personal exemption, I pay less than $100/year in income taxes. So I give up a night out every month to ensure I have that $100 in my checking account to pay taxes with come April.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Currently, my income is so low that after personal exemption, I pay less than $100/year in income taxes. So I give up a night out every month to ensure I have that $100 in my checking account to pay taxes with come April.
Give up two nights and you can do an IRA.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Give up two nights and you can do an IRA.
An IRA at this point in my life is pointless. Or did you think that income I talked about was wages? It's not. SS and pension only.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
An IRA at this point in my life is pointless. Or did you think that income I talked about was wages? It's not. SS and pension only.
To be honest, I do not know. You are text on a screen. For anyone to conduct a proper analysis of your particular situation would require actually knowing you and having access to things that you will not and should not post on a wacky website such as this one.

If you are able to **** away time whining on a computer, I reckon things cannot be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies