Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

My point is modern poverty in America does include A/C, an Xbox and Food Stamps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Not necessarily all three for the same person.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Not necessarily all three for the same person.
I'm thinking of family unit

On the other hand... I have never lived in a home with A/C, Xbox, Cable or Food Stamps.

When I managed low income rentals to families... I would say Xbox (video games) Cable and Food Stamps were universal...

Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm thinking of family unit

On the other hand... I have never lived in a home with A/C, Xbox, Cable or Food Stamps.

When I managed low income rentals to families... I would say Xbox (video games) Cable and Food Stamps were universal...

Think of the cable and the Xbox as cheap babysitters.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My point is modern poverty in America does include A/C, an Xbox and Food Stamps...

I've been missing out, where do I sign up?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Go back and take a look at the original site that the OP was snipped from:
Modern Poverty Includes A.C. and an Xbox - By Ken McIntyre - The Corner - National Review Online

Even on the obviously biased site, nowhere did it say that "poor Americans" own their own homes. In fact it didn't say what percentage were on food stamps, housing assistance, etc. It just stated what the poverty level was for a family of four back in 2005 and which items they had in their homes. As I pointed out about a thousand posts ago a "TV" can be anything from an old black and white to the latest HD, blue ray extravaganza. You keep assuming these people had top of the line items in their homes. I doubt this.

This omission is unusual, but conservatives often are happy to volunteer statistics showing that over 40 percent of "poor" households own their own homes. (I've seen figures from 40 to 46 percent; it depends on whom and when you ask.)

As far as I can tell - and I've never seen any clear, clean statistics on this - it appears that more than two-thirds of poor homeowners do not have a mortgage, and that most poor homeowners either bought their homes long ago when they were working and not poor, or acquired their homes while poor without buying on the open market (e.g. they inherited their homes or bought them from family members at preferential price and terms).

Of course, poor homeowners without a mortgage typically enjoy a standard of living better than many non-poor renters, but conservatives won't tell you that.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,073 times
Class warfare much?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan;20403370
[URL="http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty#_ftn22"
What is Poverty in the United States: Air Conditioning, Cable TV and an Xbox[/url]
"Forty-three percent of all poor households own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio."

POOR AMERICANS ARE NOT BUYING HOMES!!!!!

"Poor" homeowners are usually retirees and often widows who bought their homes decades earlier when they were working and had middle class incomes.

They don't have mortgages and thus have more disposable income than many renters whose money goes mostly to pay rent.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee what about meal planning ?

Are these poor too stupid to plan to use up those ingredients for other meals and maybe, possibly SAVE money ?

You don't give the poor much credit do you. One meal is all they can think of and buy at a time so they throw what they don't use out or let it go bad ?

I have a hot plate, how much meal planning and using up ingredients am I gonna do? (But I rarely throw out or let anything go bad, and I usually shop twice a week.)

Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well we obviously need to create a gov refrigerator program to address this problem so we can expand it a few times

Well there WAS a government stimulus program that subsidized energy-efficient appliances.

But it was only for homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies