Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

89,010 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm willing to pay the same rate as the homeowner next door. I am not willing to pay one bit more than the homeowner next door for the same services.

Especially when the services are unwanted by renters, as was the case in one place I lived.

You have not offered any reason why homeowners should get the services for free while renters pay for them.
Interesting... I could make the SAME EXACT POINT with the federal income tax that 51% don't pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's the owners of the building that are taxed and pass it on to renters.
Renters have nothing to do with RE assessments..nothing.
Those owners get NO tax breaks for owning the building.

Your lease is your freeze so sign a long one to lock in your rent. No one is guaranteed frozen tax amounts. They always go up even when RE goes down.

WTF??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

My rent is between me and my landlord. It's MY problem when government unfairly taxes the property, thereby imposing costs on my landlord which he must pass on to me. I do not want my landlord to have to pay one dollar in unfair taxes.

The dollar amount which is unfairly taxed is an amount which government takes off the table and makes unavailable for negotiation with my landlord.

There is virtually no such thing as a long-term residential lease. Long-term leases can be a liability when a landlord wishes to sell - or when his property is taken through eminent domain - and landlords also prefer the flexibility of short-term leases which allow them to raise rents when the market goes up.

The longest residential lease I've ever seen or heard of is in NYC where two years was standard when I lived there.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
WTF??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

My rent is between me and my landlord. It's MY problem when government unfairly taxes the property, thereby imposing costs on my landlord which he must pass on to me. I do not want my landlord to have to pay one dollar in unfair taxes.

The dollar amount which is unfairly taxed is an amount which government takes off the table and makes unavailable for negotiation with my landlord.

There is virtually no such thing as a long-term residential lease. Long-term leases can be a liability when a landlord wishes to sell - or when his property is taken through eminent domain - and landlords also prefer the flexibility of short-term leases which allow them to raise rents when the market goes up.

The longest residential lease I've ever seen or heard of is in NYC where two years was standard when I lived there.
Well then tell the owner to go protest his assessment.
You can't do it because you don't own the property.
And who determines what is fair vs unfair ?

That is determined when you show up to protest what the county assessed your property at.
I've protested mine a few times now. I show up with my paperwork and make my case.
Both times I've won and my assessment was lowered and hence my taxes were lowered.

Yes you can fight City Hall and yes sometimes you DO WIN.
Going with a closing statement or recent appraisal is about all the ammo you need.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Interesting... I could make the SAME EXACT POINT with the federal income tax that 51% don't pay.

Yes, that is true - and I did get a chuckle out of it.

I prefer a sort of modified flat tax.

1) start with a nominal tax on everyone - perhaps $100 to $500. not required for voting so it's not a poll tax. (This tax could generate $25B to $125B annually and I would dedicate it to debt reduction.)

2) exempt income up to a level above which people actually have disposable income

3) income above this level (2) would be taxed at a flat rate.

Everybody pays SOMETHING and there are no penalties for success.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then tell the owner to go protest his assessment.
You can't do it because you don't own the property.
And who determines what is fair vs unfair ?

That is determined when you show up to protest what the county assessed your property at.
I've protested mine a few times now. I show up with my paperwork and make my case.
Both times I've won and my assessment was lowered and hence my taxes were lowered.

Yes you can fight City Hall and yes sometimes you DO WIN.
Going with a closing statement or recent appraisal is about all the ammo you need.

The homeowner majority determines what is fair vs unfair, which is why rental property is often taxed unfairly.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Looking at my property tax bill now... there are no fewer than 8 separate public employee pension funds I'm billed for for 8 different local government bodies' public employees (City, Township, Township Roads, County, School District, Park District, etc., etc.). The cost of unionized public employees is HUGE. The money has to come from somewhere. Since landlords and homeowners other than seniors do NOT get an assessment freeze, the money comes from them (and their renters) in a compounded increase of higher assessed value plus a rate increase on top of that.

Yes, and I cheered when the Wisconsin Legislature voted to rein in the public employee benefit/pension spending.

When Democrats came out saying voters opposed this, I wanted to know - I'd still like to know - where low income voters stand on this issue.

Low income voters might take a conservative position - my thinking is why should my tax dollars pay for all these public employee goodies when I and other taxpayers don't get those goodies? Public employee benefits and pensions should be comparable to those in the private sector.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Yes, and I cheered when the Wisconsin Legislature voted to rein in the public employee benefit/pension spending.

When Democrats came out saying voters opposed this, I wanted to know - I'd still like to know - where low income voters stand on this issue.

Low income voters might take a conservative position - my thinking is why should my tax dollars pay for all these public employee goodies when I and other taxpayers don't get those goodies? Public employee benefits and pensions should be comparable to those in the private sector.
Now you see why "tax the rich" is meaningless.
It's the middle class and working poor who are always the ones paying the bill.
You can't change property taxes based on one's income because you don't know the income of that home owner.
Only Fed/State tax take income into account but there are many, many other taxes that hit us and will continue to eat away at our savings.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM

89,010 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
As did many!

Quote:
Here's where it's important to realize that the Dems who supported the unions are NOT working in the taxpayers' interest. They have NO qualms in totally screwing over renters and home-owners.

Quote:
That should be everyone's question.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I am sorry you do not have much grasp of what is or was grown in your own country,perhaps you might educate yourself?
Why, certainly! Cotton is among the top ten crops grown in South Carolina, bringing in a revenue of $60.4 million in 2009 - the latest year that I could find statistics for. You can't even open up your front door and recognize what crops are being grown around you? Oh, I forgot. You are now from North Carolina or something. Cotton is the 6th most important agricultural commodity in NC and brings in $304,438,000 in revenues. I’d keep quiet about ignorance in your place. And we’re supposed to believe the rest of the drivel you write?

Oh, and while we’re on the subject of the Carolinas, would you like to explain just exactly where you do live now? Until notified otherwise, I’ll treat you as being from SC since that’s in your user name.

Quote:
Who says the poor don't own their own homes?
Good point. If the poor can have jacuzzi’s, they might as well own a home to put them in.

Quote:
I believe you should perhaps first learn to read AND comprehend before taking part in discussions,it might assist you more.
And I know that you need to write more clearly and honestly – not drop hints and innuendos throughout this thread until no one can figure out if you are a foreigner born in some other country or the child of American parents who dragged you through the 3rd world for some reason known only to them.

You post all sorts of stuff without fully explaining it:

Quote:
Yes,the same as almost everyone else(including the poor) in this country...it wasn't the same overseas,even in developed countries.

American standards aren't the world standards,some places didn't aspire to the same levels of consumerism.

As to being poor,does having no indoor plumbing while growing up count?
It was fine by us,nowadays spoiled rotten Americans think going without cable is the depths of poverty

Actually not until I was 20 or so did we have A/C.

And I lived in a hotter country than here.
Our schools weren't air conditioned either....

I have been poor,grew up in a house without indoor plumbing or air conditioning(actually never had any A/C until into my 20's...),no electricity when we first moved there...

Have lived in a sharecroppers shack with no insulation and holes in the floor...I have some idea about being poor....
It isn't that big a deal.
I have spent a considerable amount of time overseas myself – both as a child and an adult.. The developed countries I lived in often had a higher standard of living than in the US. Even tiny Switzerland has a higher standard of living than we do. So, yes “it wasn’t the same” in those places.
Quote:
I never stated I grew up here...
You finally admit that you didn’t grow up here and you seem to feel that comparing the United States to some place in the 3rd world is a perfectly legitimate exercise.

Maybe you should go back to where-ever you grew up, since you write,
Quote:
Yes,it was great
Just because you have the belief that as long as the US keeps up with the third world, everything is copacetic., it doesn’t mean the rest of us have to give up believing in our own country and holding it up to the highest standards possible.

I spent considerable time in the north east region of Brazil, and the things I witnessed broke my heart. The US is NOT going to be a country where the poor go hungry everyday, ten year old girls sell themselves into prostitution to just survive, homeless families sit on the curbs with their feet in the gutters, and the bodies of the dead are allowed to lie on the streets for a day or more before they are collected.

If Americans are spoiled because we do not wish to see the social system of our country sink to such depths, then let every last one of us be “spoiled” on these issues.

Quote:
We have no medical insurance,that is correct,that is ANOTHER of those things you and your type seem to think is a must have...even for the po' folks.
Tango on, my friend. I’ve got a pretty good guide to herbal remedies that grow in the Appalachians. It’s called the Fox Fire Book. The next time you break a leg or someone in your family develops cancer, I’ll be glad to send you a copy.

Quote:
Why would I pay for her care?
Oh, man, it’s people like you that give rural southerners a bad name. Maybe you should pay since she is YOUR family member? I’m sure not paying for her. You never answered my question about her having Medicare, either. Your rural clinic gets money from somewhere to treat her. Or do you just let the poor thing deteriorate without giving her any medication for her condition?

Quote:
Glad you had a nice camping trip,pity you didn't plan ahead and actually have your own food but leeched off the good nature of others....maybe you have learned a lesson from that...
Thank you. I’m not going throw pearls before swine by repeating my story for your benefit, but I will make a few comments. I had no advance warning to run around and collect food. I was lucky to have the clothes on my back, my camping stuff and my faithful cat. On top of that, I never learned to shoot and couldn’t afford a gun, anyhow. And it wasn’t hunting season, so I couldn’t live off the land and stock pile my own food. Besides, I had no refrigeration. How could I have preserved a deer or an elk? I did catch a few trout, though.

I certainly did learn a lesson, and it’s one I hope you never have to learn, as arrogant and lacking in empathy as you seem to be.

Now, I’m going to forget about this thread and stop wasting my time on any more of your posts.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Misleading?
Where is it written that the poor are buying homes?

Do they?Where did you read that,I missed it.

Again,I missed this part,could you provide where you found this?

I have no idea why they are poor.

Okay...still much larger homes the poor live in than the typical European,kind of odd that...

Really?Define small?
1) quote: "Forty-three percent of all poor households own their own homes."

To me, that implies poor people are buying homes, since BUYING a home is usually a prerequisite to OWNING it.

2) I've lost the original context, I'd have to go find your post, but I can tell you this in the meantime:

I have tried to imagine the possible demographics of "poor" homeowners, but I have not found anything remotely close to what might be considered a profile of poor homeowners. (You'd think that with all the reports Robert Rector and the Heritage Foundation have put out about the poor and their 43-46 percent home ownership, they'd actually have compiled something of this sort.)

But I did find an expenditure analysis which indicated (several years ago, so not up to date) that 70 percent of poor homeowners did not have a mortgage. The likely possibilities are (a) the home was bought years ago and the mortgage retired, (b) the home inherited without a mortgage, (c) the home is a crappy mobile home which would not have a mortgage. Given the generous home characteristics we know poor homeowners enjoy, it's unlikely that many poor homeowners live in trailers.

(3) Define small? I'd consider a home to be small if it had no more than about 300 sq ft plus 200 sq ft per bedroom. (So I'd consider a 3BR small if it had 900 or fewer sq ft.) But that's just my "poor + American" biases, Your Mileage May Vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies