Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
We live in America though we do not live in another country so comparing their poor to ours is silly. Being poor is relative to where you live. There are places in Europe where their poor is better off them ours I guess they are not really poor either?
Poor relative to others sure..but not living in poverty...

Quote:
The places with worse off poor people have no were near the money the US has so they have a different standard of poverty that should not mean we should not strive for our poor to go there .
Who said we should?
People should just stop pretending people are poverty stricken here.

Quote:
Just because people in other countries lives in shacks does not make poverty right.
Who said it was?

Quote:
It is really just an excuse not to care about the poor.
What is an excuse,to point out the fact they live quite well,just not as well as those in the middle class?

Quote:
If you really want to compare the worst of poverty to other countries we need to compare theirs to our homeless not our poor.
Our homeless are better off too.

Quote:
Many homeless live on the streets is that really better then out countries poor? It actually may be worse because at least the poor in other countries have a home.
Well a lot do not.

I posted a video early in the thread(I think it was this thread...)..here it is:
‪Dead Can Dance - The Host Of Seraphim‬‏ - YouTube

THIS is poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
No you only think they have a good based on your opinion. So now your standards for the poor are lower. Lets make sure they have no a/c electricity, plumbing, because all those things make people have such a great life.No even better lets make sure they live in a tiny shack like they do in other countries because they are not poor enough and are living such a good life.
You are making things up that I haven't stated.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
But at the same time, why make sure they are living somewhat close to a middle class lifestyle?

It's a slap in the face to those who work and sacrifice to have nice things. I don't have an air conditioner because I deserve one, I have one because I worked for one.
Well,it is rather strange that the poor should basically be living a middle class lifestyle while they are oftentimes receiving welfare.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Where I live in SC it is getting up to the upper 90's. Air conditioning is not a luxury. How is having a TV or air conditioning even close to a middle class lifestyle?
So?
A/C is a necessity only because you think it is...

USE your brain and ask yourself this,what did EVERYONE do before A/C was invented?

Did everyone in SC migrate north like birds?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Clearly the poor should only eat gruel. Can I have some more, please?

At some point you might just have to acknowledge that people in the ghetto don't know much about nutrition, thrift, or other life skills that you are fortunate enough to possess. They don't understand savings or investment, and their crappy jobs (if they have 'em - black unemployment is nearly double the average rate). They don't trust banks (maybe they have that one right...). The only success stories they see are people making it via sports, music, etc. They're certainly not being educated in their schools, which are constantly failing and act as glorified day care services for the most part.

Of course, regressives don't want to pay for education, or early intervention programs, or clinics, or other programs for the poor, so this is what you get. Forgive the clumsy analogy but it's like refusing to take the time to train your dog and then getting pissed when he takes a dump on your rug.
I believe that those like yourself who care so deeply about the poor,should pay for their care,you obviously want them to live better...invite them to live in your house,I am sure you have the room...

Or,force others to pay for them and just feel superior....I wonder which option a leftist would choose....

Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM

19,784 posts, read 12,037,251 times
Quote:
We live in America though we do not live in another country so comparing their poor to ours is silly. Being poor is relative to where you live. There are places in Europe where their poor is better off them ours I guess they are not really poor either? The places with worse off poor people have no were near the money the US has so they have a different standard of poverty that should not mean we should not strive for our poor to go there .Just because people in other countries lives in shacks does not make poverty right. It is really just an excuse not to care about the poor. If you really want to compare the worst of poverty to other countries we need to compare theirs to our homeless not our poor. Many homeless live on the streets is that really better then out countries poor? It actually may be worse because at least the poor in other countries have a home.
Since this is such a hot button issue for you, how much time and/or money are you giving to help the poor that you care so deeply about? Please inspire us with stories of how you are helping and how others can follow your stellar example.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,099,861 times
Default Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You don't know what real poverty is then.....

Why do you get to be arbiter of what "real poverty" is. Do people have to be literally on the garbage heap like the christian childrens fund shows at the holidays every year......., digging through the trash heap just to find one single shoe, that they have to sell to have a bite of bread to share among a family of 4.....to be considered poor to you? Oh and they should also have a cleft palatte just to make it the perfect picture of poverty????

Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
So?
A/C is a necessity only because you think it is...

USE your brain and ask yourself this,what did EVERYONE do before A/C was invented?

Did everyone in SC migrate north like birds?
1. Fewer people lived in the south before A/C.

2. People left the coasts and went to the mountains in the summer in the "old south".

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
No, it wasn't "one" thing. A lot of them bought lobsters using the cash on their ACCESS card. It wasn't JUST lobsters, we're also talking salmons, tunas (NOT THE CAN), and other fish. NOT the cheap kind too.

There also didn't seem to be ANY restrictions. They couldn't use that stuff with the food stamp portion, but with the cash portion they were able to buy.. whatever. It's just like a debit card. It had money in it.

Even a ton of the WIC customers were so ungrateful. WIC is pretty awesome, and they come in with a check with the items listed. 8oz cheddar cheese STORE brand means just that. It doesn't mean BORDEN'S JALEPENO CHEESE. This is VERY true. I've had people ARGUE that "it don't matter, it still cheese. It's mah money!"

Go get a job at a supermarket near a ghetto area. Open your mind and pay attention to what you see. My heart DOES break for people who truly need it, and cutting these programs and hurting those who really deserve the HELP make me cringe. BUT this type of "poor" is a lifestyle choice. There's never any reason to better themselves. Why bother bettering yourself when you can have your main bills covered so you can spend your money on what you want?

It was a very eye opening experience and I was only 16. I never really knew anything about "food stamps", but what I did hear was all negative. Guess what? My year and 1/2 there was filled DAILY with stereotypes.

This is NOT a stereotype. This IS common.

And it sucks because there are people who truly, truly, need the help
It is horrible that there are welfare kings and queens that produce children and live off the system generationally. They are beyond despicable. But that does not mean we do not need the programs....that means we need to do a much better job of ensuring those programs are well run and the people scamming go to jail. I'm a good liberal but believe me I'd have no problem in requiring vasectomies of all these guys breeding children like dogs, or sterilizing the welfare queens. But thats just me...its probably not nice I think this way. Then these children grow up to not even know of other choices or decisions they should be making! Its horrible.

But again, we can't make the programs disappear...we need to make them much more viable. Honest, hard working, good people need helping hands or education or social services or mental health services, or food services...we can't abandon the good people.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Default ???

Quote:
The number of Americans who live in real poverty is miniscule...there just isn't that many living in poverty.

Most live in situational poverty,they are poorer than others but still have more than enough.

Instead of reading the emotion driven headlines,read more thoroughly about the hungry children(for example),it isn't quite what you would think.

Just as the idea that there are millions of people living in poverty....with TV's,cable,cell phones,cars,game systems,etc,etc...that isn't really poverty.
Again, how poor is poor enough for you? As poor as the example I gave you....or poorer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies