Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Race card already out...

It's not the same as race. It's a serious violation of their religious beliefs to take part in a homosexual wedding. They're under no obligation to serve anyone either, it's their business.

Your last statement is ridiculous. I don't know of any credible mainstream religion that opposes saving a person's life regardless of who they are.
I disagree....your posts are argumentative and disrespectful...it's clear you have an agenda.

Can you read...where did I say religion......it's MY personal belief which carries as much credence as your religion...I don't believe in organized religion so your supposed points are moot.......and only important to you.....and people who place their belief system above the beliefs of their peers.

I repeat IF you want respect than treat others respectfully....otherwise don't waste my time!

Well IF I run a clinic and don't like homophobes; then by your convoluted logic I therefore can refuse to treat them...thanx for the "go ahead" on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I disagree....your posts are argumentative and disrespectful...it's clear you have an agenda.

Can you read...where did I say religion......it's MY personal belief which carries as much credence as your religion...I don't believe in organized religion so your supposed points are moot.......and only important to you.....and people who place their belief system above the beliefs of their peers.

I repeat IF you want respect than treat others respectfully....otherwise don't waste my time!

Well IF I run a clinic and don't like homophobes; then by your convoluted logic I therefore can refuse to treat them...thanx for the "go ahead" on that!
You're not making a whole lot of sense here I'm afraid...

Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Only to you as you think your beliefs supercede all others.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Would you think the same if this were an inter racial couple..........

Why must the couple be forced to respect the businesses religious beliefs.....isn't that an agenda?????? How about respecting that gays can marry in Vermont.....life is a two way street.

That said......I'd simply walk out and not give the homophobes my business/money.

On a side note, as a Nurse do I have the right to refuse to take care of posters like you....because I surely would if I could????? After all......isn't healthcare a big business in our country????? If you don't respect me as a person why should I "break my back" taking care of you?????

Something to think about????
Because that person OWNS THE INN. Let them buy the Inn from him then. No one should be forced to accept someone else's sexual preference in their private business "just because".

Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
He never does

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Only to you as you think your beliefs supercede all others.
Actually, you're the one thinking that way. To participate in a homosexual marriage in the Catholic religion is to commit what's termed a "mortal sin," which can condemn one to Hell if not forgiven. I don't see where a lesbian "couple" have the right to force someone to violate their religious beliefs in such a way, and there's no shortage of places in Vermont to have a homosexual wedding either.

Your argument that compares an inn refusing to host a wedding to a nurse or doctor refusing medical care is illogical.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Race card already out...

It's not the same as race. It's a serious violation of their religious beliefs to take part in a homosexual wedding. They're under no obligation to serve anyone either, it's their business.

Your last statement is ridiculous. I don't know of any credible mainstream religion that opposes saving a person's life regardless of who they are.
Absolutely they are. Vermont law does not allow businesses that accommodate the public to deny service to someone because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, ancestry or place of birth, mental or physical disability, age, and marital status.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Absolutely they are. Vermont law does not allow businesses that accommodate the public to deny service to someone because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, ancestry or place of birth, mental or physical disability, age, and marital status.
The first amendment right to religion trumps any state laws to the contrary. Vermont has passed lots of kooky laws over the years that have been thrown out by courts.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
The first amendment right to religion trumps any state laws to the contrary.
The 1st Amendment isn't applicable or relevant in this case.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The 1st Amendment isn't applicable or relevant in this case.
Yes it is. It would be a case of a state trying to force a person to violate their religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies