Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 PM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
The good thing about this would be that states would be forced to compete for population and business. Policy failures would be more evident and states would lose and gain residents like a business does with customers- and have to adjust itself accordingly.
Exactly! Prime example: Wisconsin before Scott Walker.

Quote:
A Nobel Prize-winning economist calls migration decisions "voting with your feet."
...Wisconsin had one of the five worst migration patterns in the United States from 2000 to 2006. Higher income individuals left Wisconsin. Individuals on the lowest rung of the economic ladder migrated to Wisconsin.
NEW REPORT SUGGESTS WISCONSIN IS STILL A WELFARE MAGNET STATE RANKS NEAR TOP IN WELFARE BENEFITS

Who thinks that migration pattern is sustainable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:47 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
When one looks carefully, virtually all countries have defaulted at least once and many several times on external debt during their emerging market economy phase, a period that typically takes at least one or two centuries.
Quote:
With its later string of nineteenth-century defaults, Spain took the mantle for most defaults from France, which had abrogated its debt obligations on eight occasions between 1500 and 1800. Because the French monarchs had a habit of executing major domestic creditors during external debt default episodes (an early form of “debt restructuring”), the population came to refer to these episodes as “bloodletting.”11 The French Finance Minister Abbe Terray, who served from 1768–1774, even opined that governments should default at least once every 100 years in order to restore equilibrium (Winkler, p. 29).12
http://www.nber.org/~wbuiter/cr1.pdf

We last defaulted in 1933 (avoided by the gold confiscation act) and 1790.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:57 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
OK, as a liberal, I often feel like I'm not being heard by or talking past conservatives, and I'm sure conservatives feel the same way about me and other liberals.

Most of us can agree that there's too much bitter partisanship, too much polarization, and too much corruption in "the system." I also believe, maybe naively, that most Americans mean well, that people really care about something bigger than themselves, even if we disagree on what that should look like.

So let me ask this question: Where do we start in bringing people together, instead of dividing, polarizing, and ignoring people?
I have posed this very questio my self on threads here in the past. Im going to read through you'd after writing this ...and see if you had better luck. Right off the bat my being a conservative was touted by several left leaning posters as being the problem.
Ideology alone is a deciding factor to many....and I am not guiltless of this myself. I tend to feel anger quickly on many issues and have been literally attacked by left wing extremists ( envirowackos) using firearms and explosives to make themselves heard.
I'm admittedly jaded ....and that can make civil discourse with certain types of liberals tough for me. That said, im willing to give it another shot.
From where I'm standing the biggest problem we have is the far extreme ends of our respective rights and lefts. We tend to blame each other for these factions, often just because we happen to be conveniently in place to do so. I.E......your a liberal!!! One of those scroungy hippy rodents that blew up my springs to save the environment! !! â‚¬Â¢Π g4&$#@++¶^°€¢£…Your a Conservative!! One of those Bible thumping redneck abortion clinic bombing.racist pigs!!!!
You get the picture I 'm sure. So if...big if...we could all get past stereotyping each other and thus pissing us off to the point that the only option is going to blows....???
That is the problem as I see it.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Liberals are commies that hate America. Obama is one of them. Liberals want to destroy America. All of America's problems are caused by liberals. Liberals want everyone to live off the government. Liberals want America to be like commie France. Never trust a liberal. Never listen to a liberal.
Now, let's bring America together!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
OK, as a liberal, I often feel like I'm not being heard by or talking past conservatives, and I'm sure conservatives feel the same way about me and other liberals.

Most of us can agree that there's too much bitter partisanship, too much polarization, and too much corruption in "the system." I also believe, maybe naively, that most Americans mean well, that people really care about something bigger than themselves, even if we disagree on what that should look like.

So let me ask this question: Where do we start in bringing people together, instead of dividing, polarizing, and ignoring people?
Shut down CD

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Forget it!
Americans are too bullheaded, ignorant (and stupid), stubborn, and intolerant to find any reasonable solutions.

Wow, a post that is spot on and realistic. Lots of people do not like the truth.

The ideological divide in this country is at an all time high.....and will get bigger.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
We will never be together. The role of government is different to D's and R's. Republicans will not vote to raise taxes because the Democrats will spend the money for another program. Democrats want more taxes so they can have more programs.

Yeah, you are right on. The more money that gets taken in from taxes...........will go to cr*ppy programs that are ineffective and wasteful.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Liberals are commies that hate America. Obama is one of them. Liberals want to destroy America. All of America's problems are caused by liberals. Liberals want everyone to live off the government. Liberals want America to be like commie France. Never trust a liberal. Never listen to a liberal.
Now, let's bring America together!
It is an ideological divide that WILL NOT be bridged, we will just continue to decline. I just sit back, laugh and watch the show. Best thing would be for the country to be divided up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies