Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Football games are full of cheaters and sore losers? I guess you've never played the sport. That is about as clueless a statement as your entire post. Congrats.

Comprehend much? I didn't say that all football games were full of cheaters and sore losers. I am very familiar with the sport. I have two sons who play. That isn't what I said or meant, but if taking peoples' words out of context floats your boat...do your thing.

The point is that politicians are more concerned with winning the game than they are with the American people and many American people have jumped on the float with them.

Do you take everything literally? It's called an analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times
i like factsplease, she is keeping these guys in line.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Comprehend much? I didn't say that all football games were full of cheaters and sore losers. I am very familiar with the sport. I have two sons who play. That isn't what I said or meant, but if taking peoples' words out of context floats your boat...do your thing.

The point is that politicians are more concerned with winning the game than they are with the American people and many American people have jumped on the float with them.

Do you take everything literally? It's called an analogy.
YOU said it not me. If it's not what you meant why did you say it. I'm not taking anything out of context.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In doing some vacation planning I got to thinking about how President Bush went back to Texas when he went on vacation and how his father went to Maine, where he lived, when he went on vacation and how Jimmy Carter went to Plains, Ga when he went on vacation and how Ronald Reagan went to his ranch in California when he went on vacation. This is where those people lived before they became President. They went home to relax. Seeing as how both Obamas called Chicago home before they got married and before they came to the White House, have they ever gone back there on vacation? They still have a house there, right? I'm not making anything of it. I'm just curious. Do you think when they leave the White House they will return to Chicago?
It is a no brainer to pick between Illinois and Hawaii.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I live in Illinois and who, in their right mind, would ever want to vacation here????
I don't live there, but have been there a couple times on business. That was my first reaction too. In order to avoid offending anyone from Chi-town, I was going to put the filters on. But after readng your comment, I couldn't help myself.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
In doing some vacation planning I got to thinking about how President Bush went back to Texas when he went on vacation and how his father went to Maine, where he lived, when he went on vacation and how Jimmy Carter went to Plains, Ga when he went on vacation and how Ronald Reagan went to his ranch in California when he went on vacation. This is where those people lived before they became President. They went home to relax. Seeing as how both Obamas called Chicago home before they got married and before they came to the White House, have they ever gone back there on vacation? They still have a house there, right? I'm not making anything of it. I'm just curious. Do you think when they leave the White House they will return to Chicago?
Who knows? Most Presidents seem to return "home", though Clinton went to New York (mostly because of his wife's career, likely) and while Nixon went home to California for a few years, he then moved and spent the rest of his life in metropolitan New York as well.

I would imagine the Presidential library will end up in Chicago, though.

Unbelievably, there is a Wikipedia page which lists every foreign trip made by President Obama (there are similar pages for all Presidents who have left the country while President -- Theodore Roosevelt was the first) and it links to pages of all his trips, domestic included, by calendar year (I'll leave it to someone else to examine them all for Chicago visits):
List of presidential trips made by Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of international trips made by the President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Trips to Chicago are not included on that list. How very odd.

I seem to recall Obama taking Michelle there one time for her birthday.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
I bet he doesn't go back to Chicago when he leaves the WH. I don't think it is significant that he doesn't vacation in Illinois. I don't vacation in NJ. I like to get away and see other places, I bet he does too.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Trips to Chicago are not included on that list. How very odd.

I seem to recall Obama taking Michelle there one time for her birthday.
As I said, the top link only lists international trips. You have to drill down into the links for all trips by year:
List of presidential trips made by Barack Obama during 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of presidential trips made by Barack Obama during 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of presidential trips made by Barack Obama during 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They list several trips to Chicago (I didn't count how many).

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM

277 posts, read 577,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Who knows? Most Presidents seem to return "home", though Clinton went to New York (mostly because of his wife's career, likely) and while Nixon went home to California for a few years, he then moved and spent the rest of his life in metropolitan New York as well.
Nixon lived in California for at least a few years after his presidency. I only know this because of Frost/Nixon.

If I had Nixon's place I don't think I'd want to be president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies