Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this Ad help the Same Sex Marriage Cause?
Yes, its a great Ad and would sway me in the direction of support for Same Sex Marriage. 26 29.89%
No. It's offensive and pushes me away from support for same sex marriage. 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
LOL.

You may wish to reread my post.
I specifically mentioned that religion has NOTHING to do with my stance.

Better luck next time!
Then I don't understand why you want to deny gays access to civil marriage law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
I am not against homosexuality because of the bible, I am against it because of evolution. Sorry but blame it on evolution whose biggest aim is the survival of the species.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
They overdid the DJ re-re-re-re-repeating the same sy-sy-sy-syllable thing. And they overdid the F bombs too.

P.S. I'm gay and for same-sex marriage.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Wonder how many parents are aware of how their children have been used; i.e., targeted with effective media marketing over the last decade which has resulted in such a huge, unbelievably rapid change in attitude toward SSM? I bet not too many people are aware of this media manipulation of our kids as most of it is not so obvious as this offensive ad. Most of it has just involved the use of "hip" musicians and popular TV shows with squeaky clean looking gay kids, making out & subtly mocking religion, etc. The tactics that homosexuals, Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen spell out in their book, "After the Ball: How Americans Will Conquer Their Fear and Hatred of Gays in the 90's" are the ones that have resulted in the real change in attitude we have seen over the past decade. I doubt that they would approve of this "in your face" overt approach although since its focus is on young people, of which many have already been won over with the likes of Lady Ga Ga, Glee, etc., it still may be effective to promote acceptance on the part of those almost old enough to vote and then there's always the next generation.
And what's wrong with this societal shift?

I for one don't think it's been all so sudden - I was supporting gay rights in the early 1980s. Popular culture (music, movies) was openly gay-friendly back then, too. I don't think the past decade has seen a huge amount of marketing of gay marriage per se, rather it's been the message that gay people are not being vile perverts and that they should be accepted for who they are. I'm sure that for gay people it's taken a long, long time to get to where society is today on the issue of homosexuality.

Women's suffrage also had an activist and marketing effort behind it - would you have deplored it as being manipulative?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I am not against homosexuality because of the bible, I am against it because of evolution. Sorry but blame it on evolution whose biggest aim is the survival of the species.
Then why did evolution include homosexuality in almost every animal species? There are evolutionary benefits such as increased female fertility, increased care of siblings children, population control, etc. If your only reason for being anti-gay is evolution, you need to start studying up on your biology, because gays wouldn't exist if evolution didn't see it as beneficial in some of the species' population.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Survival of the species is still evolution's biggest aim so you can't overlook that fact. Men hitting on other men have to be very careful who they approach.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It is funny that what some people call Christian Slamming others call telling the truth. Maybe the Christian Fundamentalists should mind their own business if they can't handle being mocked.

Marriage will always be the exclusive business of breeders. Homosexuals can play house if they like, but trying to make same-sex relations a respectable alternative to that designed by nature to create the next generation is silly and trite. Maybe homosexuals could give up on forcing socialized respectability on the rest of us.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You could use more study of biology. Evolution is a process that is not self-aware or with aim. If enough members of a species can reproduce to perpetuate the species, it doesn't matter if there are those who cannot or do not.

Since gay people continue to be born, and have similar life expectancies as heterosexuals, it's clear that being gay is not a disadvantageous trait, nor is it something that threatens our survival.

Are you likewise "against" people with conditions that cause infertility?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It is funny that what some people call Christian Slamming others call telling the truth. Maybe the Christian Fundamentalists should mind their own business if they can't handle being mocked.
I feel the exact same way about homosexuals, if you can't handle being mocked you should mind your own business.

That sounds great right? I'm sure you agree...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You could use more study of biology. Evolution is a process that is not self-aware or with aim. If enough members of a species can reproduce to perpetuate the species, it doesn't matter if there are those who cannot or do not.

Since gay people continue to be born, and have similar life expectancies as heterosexuals, it's clear that being gay is not a disadvantageous trait, nor is it something that threatens our survival.

Are you likewise "against" people with conditions that cause infertility?
Not at all but most people are very sad when they find out they are infertile and think something is wrong with them. If you don't believe that then ask those who are infertile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies