Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times

Advertisements

Using the small airports as an excuse to start more trouble with unions

This is going to far actually over the edge, It's bad enough what they are doing with the other unions and now the FAA & RR workers.

Does it really make people out there comfortable with this?

From article:
There are two particular disagreements. One is over labor rights. In February, the Senate passed an FAA extension bill that allowed for airline and railroad workers to unionize more easily. Under that legislation, a union could be set up if a simple majority of voters who were present approved of the union. Under the old rule, employees who didn't show up to the meeting were counted as "NO" votes on unionizing.
In April, the House passed a FAA extension bill that did away with this union provision. But Senate Democrats have said they won't pass a FAA extension bill that doesn't have the union provision

You can read the full article at link
First Read - Disagreements could cause FAA to partially shut down

From article:
There is also sharp disagreement over a long-term reauthorization of the bill originally approved in April. Republicans included a provision overturning a National Mediation Board rule regarding union organizing, but Senate Democrats have balked at the idea. This led Oregon Democratic Representative Peter DeFazio to accuse Republicans on Wednesday of “anti-labor fervor” and “hatred of working people and their right to organize.”
In a letter sent to Mica Tuesday, Rockefeller accused Republicans of inserting the EAS provision into the bill in retaliation for Democrats’ opposition the labor provision.

You can read the full article at link

FAA Shutdown | Congress Deadlock | Reauthorization Bill | The Daily Caller

A partisan fight over taxpayer subsidies to 13 rural airports is threatening to shut down parts of the Federal Aviation Administration later this week, a move that would furlough 4,000 employees and delay airport construction.
The Republican-controlled House passed a measure Wednesday largely on party lines that would cut about $16.6 million in funding annually for airports in thinly populated states including Nevada, Montana, West Virginia and New Mexico.
Prominent Democrats, including Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, live in those states.

Subsidy Spat Threatens FAA - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
1) The Railway Labor Act is sufficient and has been for 100 years....Democrats are merely pandering to unions (again) by trying to bolster floundering Union membership. Republicans are not "back-dooring" the FAA"...they are simply seeking to maintain the status-quo as provided by RLA. Democrats are over-reaching.

2) Rockefeller (and Reid) have long fought for the EAS program. Rockefeller alone has stood in the way of reducing the EAS Program for many years. This is nothing new. The cost/benefit of the EAS Program has long been in question, but Rockefeller doesn't care...as long as his state is covered, every cost/benefit analysis ever performed is useless.

3) There is no "hatred of working people." It sickens me that Democrats reduce themselves to such a vile level of politics. American's are tired of it.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1) The Railway Labor Act is sufficient and has been for 100 years....Democrats are merely pandering to unions (again) by trying to bolster floundering Union membership. Republicans are not "back-dooring" the FAA"...they are simply seeking to maintain the status-quo. Democrats are over-reaching.

2) Rockefeller (and Reid) have long fought for the EAS program. Rockefeller alone has stood in the way of reducing the EAS Program for many years. This is nothing new. The cost/benefit of the EAS Program has long been in question, but Rockefeller doesn't care...as long as his state is covered, every cost/benefit analysis ever performed is useless.

3) There is no "hatred of working people." It sickens me that Democrats reduce themselves to such a vile level of politics. American's are tired of it.
Enlighten me about the effects on the FAA & RR unions, John Mica and the recent temporary bill?

They are trying to get it together since 2007? and this is being brought up now? with the unions thrown into the mix.

It sickens me also, all of this, its one thing after another, they may not hate the working people but they sure are not doing right by them, its not the way to get votes.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
From article:
There are two particular disagreements. One is over labor rights. In February, the Senate passed an FAA extension bill that allowed for airline and railroad workers to unionize more easily. Under that legislation, a union could be set up if a simple majority of voters who were present approved of the union. Under the old rule, employees who didn't show up to the meeting were counted as "NO" votes on unionizing.
Wow, that's a pretty dishonest and screwed up rule. I'm glad the Republicans helped do away with it.

Quote:
In April, the House passed a FAA extension bill that did away with this union provision. But Senate Democrats have said they won't pass a FAA extension bill that doesn't have the union provision
I'd fault the democrats, here.

Quote:
There is also sharp disagreement over a long-term reauthorization of the bill originally approved in April. Republicans included a provision overturning a National Mediation Board rule regarding union organizing, but Senate Democrats have balked at the idea. This led Oregon Democratic Representative Peter DeFazio to accuse Republicans on Wednesday of “anti-labor fervor” and “hatred of working people and their right to organize.”[/color]
In a letter sent to Mica Tuesday, Rockefeller accused Republicans of inserting the EAS provision into the bill in retaliation for Democrats’ opposition the labor provision.
I'm not sure if I understand this one.

Quote:
A partisan fight over taxpayer subsidies to 13 rural airports is threatening to shut down parts of the Federal Aviation Administration later this week, a move that would furlough 4,000 employees and delay airport construction.
The Republican-controlled House passed a measure Wednesday largely on party lines that would cut about $16.6 million in funding annually for airports in thinly populated states including Nevada, Montana, West Virginia and New Mexico.
Prominent Democrats, including Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, live in those states.

I'd say the Republicans are doing the right thing here as well. I read where Delta is pulling out of a many of these smaller airports because they aren't profitable. It doesn't make sense to me for the government to subsidize them.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Enlighten me about the effects on the FAA & RR unions, John Mica and the recent temporary bill?

They are trying to get it together since 2007? and this is being brought up now? with the unions thrown into the mix.

It sickens me also, all of this, its one thing after another, they may not hate the working people but they sure are not doing right by them, its not the way to get votes.
Sorry, but unions aren't synonymous with "working people." Unions are a particular class of working people.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Sorry, but unions aren't synonymous with "working people." Unions are a particular class of working people.
Whats a particular class of working people?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's a pretty dishonest and screwed up rule. I'm glad the Republicans helped do away with it.

I'd fault the democrats, here.

I'm not sure if I understand this one.

I'd say the Republicans are doing the right thing here as well. I read where Delta is pulling out of a many of these smaller airports because they aren't profitable. It doesn't make sense to me for the government to subsidize them.
You wouldn't mind driving that far to an airport? on mostly rural roads till you hit the interstate.

I mind driving over 150 miles or more to get to an airport, I guess some of us will be driving far, of course thats about 300 mi. back and forth, not to mention gas prices I'm sure they will go up again, so the govt gets money either way, the city the airport is at makes money and the small rural city gets the boot.

They have it all figured out.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Whats a particular class of working people?
unions. i work, and they don't represent me.

therefore they represent some particular group of working people -- not all working people.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't mind driving that far to an airport? on mostly rural roads till you hit the interstate.
Yes, I would mind, that's why I don't live in Moose Neck, Montana.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, I would mind, that's why I don't live in Moose Neck, Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies