Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,819,455 times

Advertisements

indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 177,902 times
Why would any American want a foreign, middle-eastern religion such as Christianity or Islam to have anything to do with our laws or government? Couldn't we at least invent our own home grown religion if we're going to associate religion so closely with patriotism?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsoman View Post
Why would any American want a foreign, middle-eastern religion such as Christianity or Islam to have anything to do with our laws or government? Couldn't we at least invent our own home grown religion if we're going to associate religion so closely with patriotism?
We did. Many of them. The Mormons, the 7th Day Adventists and the Christian Scientists are a few. Others like the Shakers have died out. The modern Evangelical movement didn't originate in the U.S. alone, but it took strong roots here.

All are as different from the older European faiths as they are from each other.

As to why we would want them in our government is something that could be debated forever. My guess is when someone becomes a convert, there is always a deep urge to make others see the light they saw. The urge comes from reasons of joy, but seems to turn into first disappointment when others fail to desire that joy, then resentment because others refuse to come around and see the light, no matter how they are cajoled. So in the end, the believers cling to each other for mutual understanding and comfort.

I knew a heathen fiddle player who never put a foot in a church for the first half of his life. He wandered into an old horse corral one night, drunk and despondent, and had a vision. Then he spent the last half of his life trying to be a preacher. He succeeded for a while, but ended up driving a truck when his flock drifted away. It was a sorrow to me, because drunk or sober, Christian or not, he was a very fine fiddler, and could have led a happier life if he had just stayed a fiddler in the first place.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,070,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
You spent quite a while explaining to others and me that this country was founded on religious ideas, and this in response to people who were saying that U.S. evangelical Christianity was attempting to promote the legislation of religious laws.

NOW, let's examine that. Do you not actually believe that and were just wasting time and (as they say) "shooting the breeze?" Is discussion on here a mere exercise for you and you do it whether you believe something or not? Or do you really believe that this country was founded on religious ideas and that therefore defend those who say that religious laws should be the laws of this land?
You must have an inability to comprehend adequately the comments as made by others.

From my first comment I continuously stated that the founders of this nation were a religious people and that they input their customs and beliefs into our laws. I Have never stated this nation was founded on religious ideas. If you can show otherwise (we both know you can't and all you can continuously do is make things up as to what you think I said), please do so. (HINT: You can't so why don't you actually re-read my comments and then comprehend what it was that I said instead of reading what isn't there to justify your ignorance).

Based on my morals and my beliefs, some of the laws that are being discussed I agree with while others I don't. I also don't agree with much of your professed version of "rights" you claim or your recount of history that you think you know, hence my comments.

Is your discussion on here you simply espousing your biased partisan hyperbole and creating straw-men to act as if you are the righteous one? Anybody that disagrees with you you go after with vitriol.

Again, I believe this nation was founded by a religious people that incorporated some of their beliefs and customs into our laws, some State Constitutions still show this belief (Mass and Virginia as I have shown). Their belief in allowing for any religion to be personal and not governmental. Their recognization of God as granting us unalienable rights that can not be taken away by man.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 04-06-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,981,402 times
I'm not going to waste my time quoting all the deniers in here who refuse to believe there's a war against Christians going on, either culturally or in the media, I'll just keep posting links that PROVE my assertion. Feel free to comment on them-

Army Reserve training material lists Catholics, evangelical Christians and some Jews in 'religious extremism' category along with the KKK, Hamas and Al Qaeda
Slide show warns extremism is 'fueled by the superheated fears generated by economic dislocation ... and the prospect of 4 more years under a black president'

It's truly scary to democracy that liberals are redefining 'hate/terrorist groups' as being anything but themselves and their own ideology. Wow wow wow

Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm not going to waste my time quoting all the deniers in here who refuse to believe there's a war against Christians going on, either culturally or in the media, I'll just keep posting links that PROVE my assertion. Feel free to comment on them-

Army Reserve training material lists Catholics, evangelical Christians and some Jews in 'religious extremism' category along with the KKK, Hamas and Al Qaeda
Slide show warns extremism is 'fueled by the superheated fears generated by economic dislocation ... and the prospect of 4 more years under a black president'

It's truly scary to democracy that liberals are redefining 'hate/terrorist groups' as being anything but themselves and their own ideology. Wow wow wow
That was one person, and the Army denounced that one persons remarks.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Army spokesman George Wright told Fox News that this was an “isolated incident not condoned by the Dept. of the Army.”

“This slide was not produced by the Army and certainly does not reflect our policy or doctrine,” he said. “It was produced by an individual without anyone in the chain of command’s knowledge or permission.”

Wright said after the complaint was lodged, the presenter deleted the slide, and apologized.

“We consider the matter closed,” he said.
Army presentation labeled ‘evangelical Christianity’ as religious extremists » The Right Scoop -

Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 PM

46,892 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntthebull81 View Post
The reason we came to America was for religious freedoms...
Not in so many words, I'm afraid. Yes, the Pilgrims fled persecution, but once settled, they persecuted the ever-lovin' out of anyone not Puritan. Religious freedom was not on the menu. Hanging heretics, on the other hand, was.

Quote:
this country strived when we stood by the principles of the founding fathers and our God creator.
I suspect you mean "thrived". And I might perhaps point out that the US was a two-bit player on the world stage for a good century after its inception.

Quote:
By the way I mean obama.
I never would have guessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies