Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Where did I say that? Do you usually intentionally misrepresent what others have written? I shop at local "mom & pop" stores whenever possible. Just because I think union inspired flashmobs on private property are highly inappropriate and trespassing doesn't mean I automatically am a fan or customer of Wal-Mart. Sheez, get a clue.

Do you have any idea the number pensions and retirees who hold Wal-Mart stock? Really, step away from the class warfare kool-aid.

In this economy any job is one that helps people support themselves and their families. Unions, especially SEIU only see the value in unionized jobs. This flashmob was union agenda drive, pure and simple.
Have any idea of how many Wal-Mart employees are on public assistance because of their low wages? In effect, your tax dollars are subsidizing Wal-Mart profits.

From PBS - STORE WARS: Wal-Mart Business Practices

Wal-Mart employs more people than any other company in the United States outside of the Federal government, yet the majority of its employees with children live below the poverty line. "Buy American" banners are prominently placed throughout its stores; however, the majority of its goods are made outside the U.S. and often in sweatshops.

If you don't like PBS, just google "Wal-Mart employess welfare" and you'll get plenty of hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
I think they were signing an old time song, like having something to do with "16 tons and the Company store". Reminds history buffs, why Unions developed. You know, 'work in the mines, buy all you stuff from the Company Store, when payday comes, there aint no more'... kind thing. But, the Corp execs can't hear them, as they are cruising the Med in their new Yacht.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Have any idea of how many Wal-Mart employees are on public assistance because of their low wages? In effect, your tax dollars are subsidizing Wal-Mart profits.

Wal-Mart employs more people than any other company in the United States outside of the Federal government, yet the majority of its employees with children live below the poverty line. "Buy American" banners are prominently placed throughout its stores; however, the majority of its goods are made outside the U.S. and often in sweatshops.

If you don't like PBS, just google "Wal-Mart employess welfare" and you'll get plenty of hits.
So it's Wal-mart's fault that single mother employees are living below the poverty line? It has nothing to do with being a single mother? It's Wal-mart's fault that a family lives under the poverty line? What if Wal-mart didn't offer them a job at all. Then where would they be?

I'm simply amazed at how far people will stretch to blame Wal-mart for society's ills.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Any factual data to support the tripe you've spewed here today?

Thanks.
Yeah, these people are idiots. Ask any inner city or rural resident how they feel about WalMart and they will tell you that the low prices help them feed and cloth their families.
Walmart also supplies jobs, retail jobs, so here's a question: Since when has retail been the kind of job that you should raise a family on? It is typically a supplemental income source.

I'm amazed at the contempt for poor people some posters exhibit.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

Which is why I don't shop there. It still doesn't make flashmobs and trespassing on private property right does it? Or, do you think it is perfectly acceptable to tresspass on private property and tell someone else how to run their business?

Retail is not a high paying job, less so at discount stores. Is not some income better than no income? If the employees are that unhappy with their jobs and their pay they can choose to work elsewhere. I suspect you could find similar stats on the numbers of McDonald's employees with children and on welfare if you tried. At least the Wal-Mart emplyees actually have jobs and are not sitting on their backsides just receiving a check. Of course, union folk would rather they did. Entitlement society don't ya know!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, these people are idiots. Ask any inner city or rural resident how they feel about WalMart and they will tell you that the low prices help them feed and cloth their families.
Walmart also supplies jobs, retail jobs, so here's a question: Since when has retail been the kind of job that you should raise a family on? It is typically a supplemental income source.

I'm amazed at the contempt for poor people some posters exhibit.
It is very irresponsible for working people to expect a living wage. I heard Beck, as apparently you did as well, rail about this. Completely oblivious to the problem. These people are part of the growing numbers that do not earn enough money to have a tax bill. It's not because they are lazy, it's because they are not paid enough. Like you, Beck was crying these people who want more pay, would force Walmart prices up, then whoa is me to those unwashed minions. Where will they buy their stuff? How about, Walmart Execs and Stockholders, allow some of what they profit to go to paying employees. Walmart is a prime example of what 8usinesses were doing in the 20s'. It didn't work out well.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is very irresponsible for working people to expect a living wage. I heard Beck, as apparently you did as well, rail about this. Completely oblivious to the problem. These people are part of the growing numbers that do not earn enough money to have a tax bill. It's not because they are lazy, it's because they are not paid enough. Like you, Beck was crying these people who want more pay, would force Walmart prices up, then whoa is me to those unwashed minions. Where will they buy their stuff? How about, Walmart Execs and Stockholders, allow some of what they profit to go to paying employees. Walmart is a prime example of what 8usinesses were doing in the 20s'. It didn't work out well.
Like I said, retail ain't a place to go to have a career and raise a family and it has never been.

Let me ask you a question: If you invested your hard earned money in WalMart, would you donate a percentage of your dividend to increase clerk pay? Why are you criticizing the stockholders for not doing this? In addition, do you really think that if the handful of execs took less money that it would be enough to give the hundreds of thousands of retail workers a living with benefits?
I live in Boston and a living wage is well north of 40,000 dollars/year here. Add all the benefits and now your talking about compensating a retail clerk somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 to 70k. Do you think that this is a sound business plan for a retailer?

Where is the common sense?!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So it's Wal-mart's fault that single mother employees are living below the poverty line? It has nothing to do with being a single mother? It's Wal-mart's fault that a family lives under the poverty line? What if Wal-mart didn't offer them a job at all. Then where would they be?

I'm simply amazed at how far people will stretch to blame Wal-mart for society's ills.
Yep. Damn that WalMart! This is preposterous! They should be providing full benefits and six-figure salaries to ALL employees.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Like I said, retail ain't a place to go to have a career and raise a family and it has never been.

Let me ask you a question: If you invested your hard earned money in WalMart, would you donate a percentage of your dividend to increase clerk pay? Why are you criticizing the stockholders for not doing this? In addition, do you really think that if the handful of execs took less money that it would be enough to give the hundreds of thousands of retail workers a living with benefits?
I live in Boston and a living wage is well north of 40,000 dollars/year here. Add all the benefits and now your talking about compensating a retail clerk somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 to 70k. Do you think that this is a sound business plan for a retailer?

Where is the common sense?!
I do own Walmart stock and yes I would be OK with a little less, as I feel in the long run, the Company is a good investment. But, in order for that to remain true, Walmart needs customers able to purchase. Right now, the economy is changing where people shop and if the economy continues it's present course, fewer people will be shopping anywhere. AKA Depression. The Business community is undercuting it's own customer base. It's not just Walmart, it's looking like most Companies are doing that. I hope History isn't destined to repeat itself, but who knows? ...

Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is very irresponsible for working people to expect a living wage......
Indeed it is. A living wage is earned, not expected, and not given. Glad we can agree on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies