Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In todays NYT, there is an article about the boy scouts explorer program which takes scouts (boys and girls) between 14 and 18 and trains them in so called law enforcement activities. This proram now has over 35,000 members and semms to be concentrated in the border areas.

My immediate reaction on reading the article was to think of the Hitler Youth movement in Germany of the thirties, and to this end I checked into Wiki and compared the two groups.
From the NYT
Daily Kos: US' own Hitler Youth (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/05/15/731699/-US-own-Hitler-Youth - broken link)

Beck's not the first, it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
I watched Beck for 2 weeks last summer and that was enough for me, he is a dime a dozen {D}s bad and {R}s good. Beck is like any other partisan where they throw being objective right out the window. What sickens me is talking heads like him make outlandish statements to draw attention to themselves, Limbaugh has it down to a art form. In the next 24hrs Beck will make a statement apologising to the people of Sweden and be back in the news. Being from the right it amazes me that anyone takes him seriously .

Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
I have liberals and conservatives in my family, (I am right in the middle) and one thing we all agree on politically is that Glen Beck is a flippin' idiot.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting view Beck has of sixty eight dead young people, belonged to a party that was like the Hitler Youth.
Would many conservatives share those views about the dead young people ?

Norway shooting: Glenn Beck compares dead teenagers to Hitler youth - Telegraph
Beck is f'n insane....

Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You mean like this?

Yes, exactly like that.

What you think I was being partisan?

And yes, the Boy & Girl Scouts were started under the same ideas as the German youth groups and brown shirts.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Sheeeeit! It's the same thing with religions. My parents took a completely different tack with my brother and I.

They held that the more knowledge we had about the various religions that people were holding to be the end-all and be-all the better able we would be to choose a religion that suited our personal beliefs. They further held that after attending any and all churches we wished to for a period of time so as to give ourselves a good feeling for that religion and it's beliefs we could also choose to NOT subscribe to any of them and THAT was way ahead of their time.

I choose to believe these young people were the recipients of just such encouragement to be involved in their countries polictical process as an "educational experience".

Would that the U.S of A. would follow this example; perhaps these two idiotic parties would be held to a higher standard if youth had some input instead of being marginalized on the sidelines to listen to their parents spout their mindless rhetoric.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
If you read his comment, he said what most Americans were thinking - until we received more information. Whenever we hear a "political youth camp" we think first of Hitler Youth. I am not a right-winger, but I thought it too when I first heard that this youth camp was for the Labor Party.
A) No he did not.
B) Of course you're not.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Why have so many focused on Muslims when it was not a Muslim who perpetrated this destruction of life?

Is it that those who shout the loudest against Islam are angry that their initial accusations were 180 degrees from the truth. Face it, the man is a conservative and sounded rhetoric similar to the American teajihads. Breivic is also right in step with the anti-climate change BS.

Now get this, Glenn Blowhard Beck compared the youth at the camp to Hitler youth.

Maybe Glenn Beck should shut up and let the Norwegians heal from this horrible act of terrorism.
He just got canned from Rupert's network and, in an act of desperation to keep his name in the headlines, said this. Which only proves what alot of people, like myself, already knew: The dude is simply nuts. And anyone who takes him seriously is as well (that or they are just really stupid)

Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Thats such a bad article because he uses a poll from the UK to present the opinions of all muslims in Europe. The UK is not Europe and Muslims in the UK are not necessary like Muslims in Germany e.g.
I have a lot of relatives and friends in Europe. It's becoming a major problem with muslim immigrants that DO NOT want to integrate and whether the article is good or bad, it wont matter because the issues are there.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embla View Post
I am proud too. I have cried on and off since Friday, and I am really proud of the dignity that is expressed everywhere.
My heartfelt condolences goes out to your country and all its citizens. Such a senseless, hateful crime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies