Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I do hope the GOP sees it as that, as the last election was an indictment of Congress. Congress was not working to resolve American's biggest problem, jobs. They, at least one Party, still is refusing to work on that. We will see in 2012, which of those Party's, the people see as the blockage.
Would you please tell me what it is that either party can do about job creation at this point in history? Cause I will be fascinated to hear.

The toothpaste is outta the tube, so to speak. Once we created treaties that led us to this global economy, there was no going back. We are Wal-Martized. What do you propose the GOP should do? Tax corporations further - thus guaranteeing they simply move the whole damn company to India or China?

Please inform us what your plan is for getting our steel industry back . . . and how we are to induce manufacturers to bring back their textile and furniture plants to American soil, where workers expect 10 x the salary that the Chinese are willing to work for. Or the appliance manufacturers - tell us how the GOP is supposed to force them to relocate back to the USA from Mexico.

The DEMS screamed "isolationism!" and "it is morally wrong not to have a global economy and spread America's wealth." Well . . . 20 years later . . . here we are. So please tell us how the GOP is supposed to get that toothpaste back into that tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Anybody can go here for the latest polling on the budget.

Americans overwhelming support taxing the wealthy to help pay balance the budget by a margin of 3 to 1.

The only reason the OP is dwelling on this one question is to twist the results around to try and show everyone thinks like a radical right wing fiscal conservative that only thinks about cuts to entitlements.

Budget/Taxes

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As any ignorant person would, until he/she learns how it affects them. And then there is the other side, what does it entail? Being a one-trick pony... cut, cut, cut, or manage from all aspects that make up for a balance?
You guys really need to up with something new. Why is that if anyone has an opinion different from yours you call them ignorant, stupid etc.?

What makes you think you are so much smarter and wiser than someone with a different view?

You guys need to grow up. insulting name calling belongs on the schoolyard.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
From the same poll

"Now I'm going to read you some of the specific proposals for cutting government spending and increasing taxes that have been suggested as part of the discussions on the debt ceiling. For each one, please tell me whether you favor or oppose that proposal as a way to reduce the amount that the government owes. . . ."

Favor Oppose Unsure
% % %

"Increasing the taxes paid by businesses that own private jets"

7/18-20/11

76 23 -

"Increasing the taxes paid by people who make more than 250 thousand dollars a year"

7/18-20/11

73 26 -

"Increasing the taxes paid by oil and gas companies by ending federal subsidies for those businesses"

7/18-20/11

73 26 1

"Cutting defense spending"

7/18-20/11

47 52 1

Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What gets me is . . . there is only a small % of people who even make over $250K in this country. And in some areas of the country, where housing is outrageous and COL is high, $250K ain't all that impressive.

The truth is - there are a lot of people in this country who resent folks who are making a good salary - and many of the really wealthy folks in this country (i.e. Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey) made their money by creating something. They are not simply CEOs who get a big paycheck. And most of them give impressive amounts to charities or have trusts that give back to the community in some way.

THe people at the top represent less than 5% of the country. Tax 'em all to hell and it won't make that big a dent in this country's out of control entitlement driven budget deficit.
And it is people like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Oprah Winfrey who recognize and don't shy away from suggesting that the rich can afford it. While those aren't remotely even close to them, try to speak for them.

This ain't about resentment, this is about logic. Resentment is dictated by emotions. And this can easily be demonstrated with facts. Tax data (2008):
Total AGI for Top 5%: $2.93 Trillion
Total AGI for Bottom 50%: $1.07 Trillion

So, the top 5% you speak of combine to make three times as much as the bottom 50% of America. Doesn't sound too bad, does it? Well, then consider this, that $3 Trillion in income (AGI) happens to be for just 7 million Americans ($418K per tax return), while $1 Trillion is total for 70 million Americans ($15K per tax return).

So, how much more should a tax payer with an AGI of $15K contribute so it is "fair" to someone making $418K?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You guys really need to up with something new. Why is that if anyone has an opinion different from yours you call them ignorant, stupid etc.?
Who did I call stupid? BTW, when dealing with one-trick pony, you can't help but write the same critique over and over again.

Quote:
What makes you think you are so much smarter and wiser than someone with a different view?
Is that the premise of your points in these forums? I hope not.

Quote:
You guys need to grow up. insulting name calling belongs on the schoolyard.
Please learn to get the context and understand the arguments made. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
You won't see that poll posted on msnbc!

My in-laws are avid msnbc watchers.

They have no idea who jeffrey immelt is, or that he heads up obama's "jobs committee", or whatever it's called.

They have heard nothing about the "fast and furious" program.

But, they know that Michelle Bachmann gets migraines, Rupert Murdoch is in trouble and that republicans want to kill old people and children.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Would you please tell me what it is that either party can do about job creation at this point in history? Cause I will be fascinated to hear.

The toothpaste is outta the tube, so to speak. Once we created treaties that led us to this global economy, there was no going back. We are Wal-Martized. What do you propose the GOP should do? Tax corporations further - thus guaranteeing they simply move the whole damn company to India or China?

Please inform us what your plan for getting our steel industry back . . . and how we are to induce manufacturers to bring back their textile and furniture plants to American soil, where workers expect 10 x the salary that the Chinese are willing to work for. Or the appliance manufacturers - tell us how the GOP is supposed to force them to relocate back to the USA from Mexico.

The DEMS screamed "isolationism!" and "it is morally wrong not to have a global economy and spread America's wealth." Well . . . 20 years later . . . here we are. So please tell us how the GOP is supposed to get that toothpaste back into that tube.
If we can't produce "toothpaste" efficiently enough to price it competitively, I would say, don't try to artificially maintain the production of "toothpaste". The Congress, can provide incentives for people to develop products that are wanted and do so at a competitive price. We have always been able to do that. There is huge need for infrastructure work, Congress can fund that. There are numerous areas where investment(spending) is not only valuable, but very much needed. Any businessman knows, good investment leads to additional profit. In the case of the USA, the additional profit is a growing, thriving Economy. Right now we have one Party trying to stifle that investment. That makes no sense to me, other than political.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And it is people like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Oprah Winfrey who recognize and don't shy away from suggesting that the rich can afford it. While those aren't remotely even close to them, try to speak for them.

This ain't about resentment, this is about logic. Resentment is dictated by emotions. And this can easily be demonstrated with facts. Tax data (2008):
Total AGI for Top 5%: $2.93 Trillion
Total AGI for Bottom 50%: $1.07 Trillion

So, the top 5% you speak of combine to make three times as much as the bottom 50% of America. Doesn't sound too bad, does it? Well, then consider this, that $3 Trillion in income (AGI) happens to be for just 7 million Americans ($418K per tax return), while $1 Trillion is total for 70 million Americans ($15K per tax return).

So, how much more should a tax payer with an AGI of $15K contribute so it is "fair" to someone making $418K?
SO change the tax code. Many of us have been screaming for a flat tax for 30 years now.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If we can't produce "toothpaste" efficiently enough to price it competitively, I would say, don't try to artificially maintain the production of "toothpaste". The Congress, can provide incentives for people to develop products that are wanted and do so at a competitive price. We have always been able to do that. There is huge need for infrastructure work, Congress can fund that. There are numerous areas where investment(spending) is not only valuable, but very much needed. Any businessman knows, good investment leads to additional profit. In the case of the USA, the additional profit is a growing, thriving Economy. Right now we have one Party trying to stifle that investment. That makes no sense to me, other than political.
So your solution to encouraging the creation of jobs is to use more tax money to do so.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies