Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Vote was along party lines. Senate Democrats want to destroy our credit, our economy, and our currency. This was the compromise in raising the debt ceiling with the cuts required to keep our credit rating.

Roll Call:
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote
Honestly, you knew it wouldn't get past the Senate. You are not one of idiots on CD. It has been all over the news, and the plan most certainly was not a compromise.

The people of this F'N country are not going to tolerate being bulldozed by the minority. The teabagging idiots.

Coburn's plan likely will pass leaving angry people on both sides. If it doesn't then Obama should just tell the GOP and the teabaggers to F off and use the 14th amendment to raise the debt ceiling. He won't, because he'll cave, unfortunately.

Cest la vie. If the country falls it falls. Every man/woman for themselves. Thanks so much George and dick for digging this country into the hell it has become. Oh well, can't cry over spilled milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times
{quote]Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4
The Republicans has the majority of Congress and the President for six years and did nothing to address the debt or the budget. In fact, they voted to raise the debt limit numoerous times without any of the alarm we see in the current discussion. What's changed? This is an artificial crisis with the sole purpose of manufacturing issues for the 2012 election. [/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Yep, and they got kicked to the curb for their irresponsibility. Is doing the same thing they did x10 going to make things any better?
Everyone seems to keep forgetting that the during these 6 years stated above the Republicans NEVER HAD ENOUGH MAJORITY TO STOP DEMS FROM FILABUSTERING which they did whenever the Republicans tried to do what was right...like stop Fannie May and Freddie Mac from screwing up the housing which caused our problems. And there is solid proof of this in the files of C-SPAN recording Dems on the floor telling the world everything was just fine and leave Freddie and Fannie alone!

Lets put the blame where it lies. Maybe next election the voters will realize they have to step up and put the right people in office in the right numbers if they want to fix this country!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is one issue I have to disagree with you on. The debt ceiling should not be raised. The US does not have to default and destroy our credit, economy and currency without a debt ceiling increase. It would require severely drastic cuts without a debt ceiling increase, but they need to be made regardless. The US cannot take on any more debt as we cannot ever pay off what we already have.
Actually, I do agree with not raising the debt ceiling as it is the Ron Paul approach. However, the Democrats wanted "compromise" and this bill was the compromise to raise the debt ceiling. Their partyline rejection has proven that they do not want compromise at all; rather, they want it their way (raise debt ceiling now, higher taxes now, spending cuts later, No BBA) or, they will crash everything.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
[quote=Bagger;20133498]Really??? Do you have a link for that?

I just went to a Forbes site and this site:
The Most Heavily Taxed Countries In The World

and I didn't see the USA in the top taxed list.

Also.... billionaires like hedge fund managers pay 15% while people that work for them or myself pay in the 20-30% range.

I'm not against cutting spending but I do care where it's cut and yes I would like to see increased revenues. So increase it on those who pay no taxes and those who feel benevolent with their own cash should go write a check to the Treasury as a gift, which you may do.[/quote]

Americas's Wealthy: The World's Most Over-Taxed - Ricochet.com

Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Vote was along party lines. Senate Democrats want to destroy our credit, our economy, and our currency. This was the compromise in raising the debt ceiling with the cuts required to keep our credit rating.

Roll Call:

default baby, default. the sooner the better, and get rid of all 14+trillion of the debt.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
[quote=RCCCB;20134044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Really??? Do you have a link for that?

I just went to a Forbes site and this site:
The Most Heavily Taxed Countries In The World

and I didn't see the USA in the top taxed list.

Also.... billionaires like hedge fund managers pay 15% while people that work for them or myself pay in the 20-30% range.

I'm not against cutting spending but I do care where it's cut and yes I would like to see increased revenues. So increase it on those who pay no taxes and those who feel benevolent with their own cash should go write a check to the Treasury as a gift, which you may do.[/quote]

Americas's Wealthy: The World's Most Over-Taxed - Ricochet.com
Their tax rates are not higher than those of other countries.
And, people in other countries, and I'm thinking Europe so you can attack me on that if you wish, have a better standard of living than the bottom half of the population in this country... and the disparity between the haves and have nots isn't as great in those countries. So, those folks are able to pay something whereas here, their incomes have been stagnate for decades.

Increase the tax on those that can least afford it and haven't seen their status improve over the years and yet reduce the taxes on those who have seen their incomes increase significantly over the years?
I can't see that... I know you and others on this board but I don't buy into it.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

Roll Call:

All those Progressive Senators up for election in 2012, are going to be remembered, and then forgotten, as new fresh blood comes to the hill, with Conservative values.

We have tried Progressive for the past 100 years. This is the final chapter.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
default baby, default. the sooner the better, and get rid of all 14+trillion of the debt.
That"s what Ron Paul says

Quote:
Default will be painful, but it is all but inevitable for a country as heavily indebted as the U.S. Just as pumping money into the system to combat a recession only ensures an unsustainable economic boom and a future recession worse than the first, so too does continuously raising the debt ceiling only forestall the day of reckoning and ensure that, when it comes, it will be cataclysmic.
We have a choice: default now and take our medicine, or put it off as long as possible, when the effects will be much worse.
Default Now, or Suffer a More Expensive Crisis Later: Ron Paul - Bloomberg

Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
As it stands Moody's wants to attack the states first. Virginia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland and New Mexico have been warned and may have their ratings lowered. As more states are lowered the pressure will be on Obama to sign an executive order and raise the limit

Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
House knew this before they passed this bill.

It's the equivalent of the senate passing a bill that only raised taxes. It's DOA and the senate would be blamed for passing a partisan bill.
Duh! This is how Congress works. The House initiates spending. A bill is proposed, voted on and if it passes, as this one did, it is then passed to the Senate.

Not surprised you would be against how things are supposed to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies