Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why was it raised in the first place if there was a surplus? How about the War profiteering from Bush and Company?
Missing billions in Iraq? Mismanagement of funds perhaps?

If you are not a multi-millionaire how can you rationalize defending them? Are you that blind to the political shell game and BS by both parties?
What surplus?

What "war profiteering"?

I'm middle class and no, I am definitely not blind, that would be all the sheep following Obummer. Both sides do play games but who is doing the game playing right now? The Dems can't even get their act together enough to put forth a budget for over 800 days, and now that the Republicans are forcing them to consider different ideas, they reject them all. Talk about game playing and BSing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Cheney only had a net worth of a little over a million dollars before the Iraq war, a few years later he was worth 64 million. His cronies at KBR/Halliburton made untold billions, much of it from no bid contracts. The Bush connection to oil is well known, that entire family has been financed by oil.

And guess who got stuck with the bill to underwrite their adventures in Iraq?

WE DID. As you and I both know. Amazingly Bush supporters won't admit this, perhaps they are not aware of it since it's never mentioned on Fox
Or, you could enlighten us all to your conspiracy theory with a credible link.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
And raised 3 times in Obama's first two years alone.

Where does it end?
They don't seem to understand that it's picking up pace, not declining.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
Republicans always become fiscal conservative when they are out of power and then do the exact opposite when they are in power, expect that they blame the Dem for their previous spending habits. This is not new.

It parallels the Dem becoming anti-war and pro-civil liberties when they are out of power.
Party's constantly change over time. Kennedy was for cutting taxes. The dem party fought for segregation, etc.

Keep in mind when the Newt House came into control and DID NOT do what was expected of them, they were voted out.

The past is the past. Let's deal with the people in Congress today.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 PM

355 posts, read 209,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Party's constantly change over time. Kennedy was for cutting taxes. The dem party fought for segregation, etc.

Keep in mind when the Newt House came into control and DID NOT do what was expected of them, they were voted out.

The past is the past. Let's deal with the people in Congress today.
I understand that parties change over time, but I don't believe it is wise to forget history. Speaking of tax cuts, Obama cut taxes numerous times and passed one of the largest tax cuts in history. Clinton also cut taxes for over 15 million people. Your implication that Dems are always anti-tax is not accurate.

As for the Dems fighting for segregation, the Dixiecrats sure did. However, the liberal wing of the Democratic Party along with Republicans fought hard for the CRA. Lets not forget what Dems sacrificed for it. Dems liberals sacrificed the South for over half a century over it, now making the South a Republican stronghold.

This is what I am talking about, forgetting about history. Newt was not voted out. He resigned over 84 ethic charges. Him and Republicans also lost a lot of face when they threw a hissy fit and shut down government. Additionally, Republicans managed to keep both Houses through the Clinton Administration and most of the Bush administration up to 2007.

On top of this, every Republican voted against Clinton's Omnibus act in 1993 which allowed him to more fiscally conservative than any recent past or previous Republican President. Republicans seem to have a history of being on the wrong side of fiscal conservatism, despite their cheer-leading rhetoric that claims otherwise.

Feel free to forget your history and sweep it under the rug, I sure won't.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM

84 posts, read 54,488 times
Quote:
I understand that parties change over time, but I don't believe it is wise to forget history. Speaking of tax cuts, Obama cut taxes numerous times and passed one of the largest tax cuts in history. Clinton also cut taxes for over 15 million people. Your implication that Dems are always anti-tax is not accurate.

As for the Dems fighting for segregation, the Dixiecrats sure did. However, the liberal wing of the Democratic Party along with Republicans fought hard for the CRA. Lets not forget what Dems sacrificed for it. Dems liberals sacrificed the South for over half a century over it, now making the South a Republican stronghold.

This is what I am talking about, forgetting about history. Newt was not voted out. He resigned over 84 ethic charges. Him and Republicans also lost a lot of face when they threw a hissy fit and shut down government. Additionally, Republicans managed to keep both Houses through the Clinton Administration and most of the Bush administration up to 2007.

On top of this, every Republican voted against Clinton's Omnibus act in 1993 which allowed him to more fiscally conservative than any recent past or previous Republican President. Republicans seem to have a history of being on the wrong side of fiscal conservatism, despite their cheer-leading rhetoric that claims otherwise.

Boy do you ever need a history lesson:

Every Republican president lowered the military budget, even Reagan turned tail and stopped spending after increasing the budget. All the Republicans except Bush Jr. He turned the lowest military budget into the largest ever. Notice how all the military budgets start at the same point, except Obama's he inherited the highest military budget ever.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/07/img/historical_defense_budget_charts.html (broken link)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

Actually it seems that you forgotten some very important facts. That 1993 Clinton Omnibus Act, was practically reversed by 1997, which resulted in massive tax cuts. 90% of businesses received one, including $500 tax credits for children, and cutting of the capital gains tax rate from 26% to 20%

Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyadra View Post
Boy do you ever need a history lesson:

Every Republican president lowered the military budget, even Reagan turned tail and stopped spending after increasing the budget. All the Republicans except Bush Jr. He turned the lowest military budget into the largest ever. Notice how all the military budgets start at the same point, except Obama's he inherited the highest military budget ever.
Thats what happens when you are funding wars. How else do you expect to pay the military if not through increased funding?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
and your point is?.....Obama voted against raising the debt ceiling....first do your homework before posting!!!!!

So why is he now in favor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
June 2002: Congress approves a $450 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $6.4,l trillion.

May 2003: Congress approves a $900 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $7.384 trillion.

November 2004: Congress approves an $800 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $8.1 trillion.

March 2006: Congress approves a $781 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $8.965 trillion.

September 2007: Congress approves an $850 billion increase, raising the debt limit to $9.815 trillion.

As usual Republicans only actively concern themselves with debt and deficits when a Democrat is in the WH. When a Republican is in the WH? Not so much.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
History shows that in just 2.5 years, Obama has managed to spend more (of your) money than the last 10 Presidents combined. What do you think he'd do as a lame duck with four more years?
No, history does not show such thing. Bush, in the other hand, spent as much as ALL presidents before him combined, and Reagan spend three times as much as all presidents before him combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies