U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,311,447 times
Reputation: 3137

Advertisements

Stop sign (Thinkstock)

Marietta mother Raquel Nelson--who lost her 4-year-old son when a car ran into him as she was headed home from the bus stop with her three children--may face up to two and half years in prison for jaywalking.
The Huffington Post's Radley Balko points out that Nelson may serve six times as many months in prison as the man who ran over her family and drove off.

Mother whose son was killed in hit-and-run faces two years in jail for jaywalking | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,499 posts, read 8,554,685 times
Reputation: 1840
American Justice..

So an impaired drunk driver with two prior convictions only gets 6 months? And she faces more time?

Sick...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,224,163 times
Reputation: 12766
Unbelievable miscarriage of justice. Yes, the mother was wrong and endangered the welfare of her children, not doubt about it. However, to serve more time incarcerated than a repeat DUI offender who actually ran over and killed your kid while driving under the influence is insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Stop sign (Thinkstock)

Marietta mother Raquel Nelson--who lost her 4-year-old son when a car ran into him as she was headed home from the bus stop with her three children--may face up to two and half years in prison for jaywalking.
The Huffington Post's Radley Balko points out that Nelson may serve six times as many months in prison as the man who ran over her family and drove off.

Mother whose son was killed in hit-and-run faces two years in jail for jaywalking | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
Everybody thinks they are above the law. People think that they can cross the roads anywhere they please. Just two days ago, I saw a man with THREE SMALL CHILDREN trying to cross four lanes of traffic, in the middle of the block. All he had to do was walk about 250 feet and he would have been at the intersection and been able to cross at the light.

She was stupid and her stupidity got her son killed. Her actions were criminal and now she must face the music.

I am glad to see that they are sticking to their guns and prosecuting. I hope this teaches her (and other stupid people) a lesson, although I seriously doubt that it will.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,311,447 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Unbelievable miscarriage of justice. Yes, the mother was wrong and endangered the welfare of her children, not doubt about it. However, to serve more time incarcerated than a repeat DUI offender who actually ran over and killed your kid while driving under the influence is insanity.
Not only that. He had two prior hit and runs as well. This is not justice. The mother lost her 4 yr old son. The prudent thing would be to have used the cross walk, no doubt, but this is not justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,499 posts, read 8,554,685 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Everybody thinks they are above the law. People think that they can cross the roads anywhere they please. Just two days ago, I saw a man with THREE SMALL CHILDREN trying to cross four lanes of traffic, in the middle of the block. All he had to do was walk about 250 feet and he would have been at the intersection and been able to cross at the light.

She was stupid and her stupidity got her son killed. Her actions were criminal and now she must face the music.

I am glad to see that they are sticking to their guns and prosecuting. I hope this teaches her (and other stupid people) a lesson, although I seriously doubt that it will.

20yrsinBranson
Your missing the point. so you think justice is letting an impaired driver with two prior convictions serve less time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,311,447 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Everybody thinks they are above the law. People think that they can cross the roads anywhere they please. Just two days ago, I saw a man with THREE SMALL CHILDREN trying to cross four lanes of traffic, in the middle of the block. All he had to do was walk about 250 feet and he would have been at the intersection and been able to cross at the light.

She was stupid and her stupidity got her son killed. Her actions were criminal and now she must face the music.

I am glad to see that they are sticking to their guns and prosecuting. I hope this teaches her (and other stupid people) a lesson, although I seriously doubt that it will.

20yrsinBranson
The punishment must fit the crime. You don't blame the victim every time there is an accident. Anytime that you see children next to the road, you become more cautious, or you should. Jaywalking is a misdemeanor. She should have been charged with a misdemeanor. The drunk driver that hit the child should have been given a lot more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The punishment must fit the crime. You don't blame the victim every time there is an accident. Anytime that you see children next to the road, you become more cautious, or you should. Jaywalking is a misdemeanor. She should have been charged with a misdemeanor. The drunk driver that hit the child should have been given a lot more time.
She put her child in harm's way. Her action was as much of what caused her child's death as the drunk driver. If the child had not BEEN in the road, the drunk driver would not have hit him.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,396 posts, read 4,408,701 times
Reputation: 2278
Not to be crude, but there IS more to the story.
Quote:
Last week Nelson herself was convicted on three charges related to her son's death: reckless conduct, improperly crossing a roadway and second-degree homicide by vehicle.
This woman put her family at risk. Yes the Drunk/drugged driver is at fault, but ˝ of the blame is hers. But for her own actions, this would not have happened and a young life would not have been lost.

I raised 2 children as a divorced dad, and I was always careful of my family's safety. Even to this day, my oldest while driving, waits for everyone to be buckled in properly, their child ALWAYS in a child seat, and always ensure that their child isn't put at risk by their behavior.

I feel badly for this woman, as do most people, but in an objective look, but fer her actions, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,396 posts, read 4,408,701 times
Reputation: 2278
Default failure to read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
American Justice..

So an impaired drunk driver with two prior convictions only gets 6 months? And she faces more time?

Sick...
Actually the driver was sentenced to 5 years.
Quote:
He pleaded guilty, served six months of his five-year sentence, and was released last October.
and we have this -
Quote:
Last week Nelson herself was convicted on three charges related to her son's death: reckless conduct, improperly crossing a roadway and second-degree homicide by vehicle. Each is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in prison.
Which means if she is administered the MAX, she could receive a sentence of 3 years, which is only 3/5th of the sentence the driver received.

Basic math skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top