Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

WEhen the party is madeup of conumers of wealth depednent on others that the only way they can survivie.There are two parts of the democratic party;the elite and the dependent now days.They always use scare tactic. Say reform SS and they start crying your going to elminate it instead of saving it. At the same time by trutees report they just took 500 bilion from medicare and truatees say cut reembursement to medicare providers to 30% of what private insurance reemburses starting in 2012.That is the real move against senior and its a done deal.His only comment on default is he can guaaranteee SS;not the other thgns that are goig to happen. SS scare tactics like always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Let's review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Link, please, to any reputable source that has President Obama saying that he "chooses" to stop Social Security checks, or even that he "prefers" to stop Social Security checks.

You say that President Obama says these things "every time" he talks about the possibility of default, so providing a link to him actually using those words should be easy.
Pretty easy, right? If President Obama says a specific thing - in this case, that he CHOOSES to stop Social Security checks, or that he PREFERS to stop Social Security checks, EVERY TIME he talks about the possibility of a default, it should be child's play to find at least one link to him saying these things ... not something like that, but those exact words.

Nine pages later, and Lord only knows how many lame responses later, and still, no link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It has been plastered all over the lamestream news for weeks.

He said it 3 times yesterday alone, as his fear of his bluff getting called gets nearer and nearer.
Excellent. He said he CHOOSES, and PREFERS, to take this action three times yesterday alone. Wonderful!

So where's the link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Didn't you see the interview where he said he couldn't "guarantee" seniors would get their checks?

That IS A LIE and meant for one thing - to scare seniors.
Thank you. Yes, I saw the interview, and found the transcript online. And I understand your point of view. Here's mine.

The OP said, quite plainly, that the President used certain words - EVERY TIME he talked about the possibility of default. I have never heard him use those words in that context, and asked for a link. And I'm still waiting for a link.

As to what the President actually said ... yes, he said he could not "guarantee" seniors would get their checks. Given the intense political bickering going on in Washington, it's a toss-up whether the debt ceiling will be raised or not. If it's not raised, there won't be enough money to pay the obligations already incurred by the government. In that environment, President Obama would have been lying if he had said that he could guarantee that Social Security checks would go out on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Now you have your link.
Ignorance is bliss. Play stupid, if you will.
If you had used the information highway at your fingertips like everyone else does, it would not discredit you as bad.
And still no link to President Obama using the words the OP explicitly said the President used many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
This thread is based on a falsehood. Actually, that just makes it a troll thread.
Exactly.

Here's a link to the interview: Obama says he cannot guarantee Social Security checks will go out on August 3 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And strangely enough, nowhere in the interview does President Obama say that he CHOOSES or PREFERS to stop Social Security checks if the debt ceiling isn't raised. I challenge anyone and everyone to watch the video and listen to the President's words. And if you hear him saying that he CHOOSES or PREFERS to stop Social Security checks if the debt ceiling isn't raised, seek medical help immediately.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Since its creation by FDR in 1932 Social Security was for widows orphans mentally disabled [ the real retarded] and retiree's a small monthly allowance that was too help with the bills.He said not to solely rely on it as an retirement you should have your house paid for,a nest egg saved.That said have any of you checked out all these amendments over the years to SS? A biggie was in 1965 with Medicare Medicaid but there are others like 1972 disability for alcoholics or drug addiction. 1978 payments to the people of the N.Mariania Islands. 1988 Payments to Japanese internee's and relocated Aleutians. 1989 Vets with Agent Orange. 1994 payments to victims of Nazi persecution. 1993 payments to lawful aliens and amended again in 1996. Then of course Welfare Reform in the form of SSI also mentals [SICK OF WORK HURTS THEIR LITTLE HEADS]. Now some of this people are deserving of compensation Vets,the Japanese that were interned wrongly but to give money to people who never contributed to the system or take advantage of the law like these so called mentals welfare heads [who never even took advantage of a free education] alcoholics drug addicts [self inflicted] NO.Time to reorganize SS-Medicare into a new system for working people only [401 k type]and cut the non-paying leaches off.That would make the system solvent and the illegals have nots can go fish.With this new HC law who knows whats really in it probably takes care of the have nots again at our expense.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
You're nitpicking GreenGene. Obama singled out SS as the monthly payment that could not be guaranteed yet SS is probably the one government payment that can be guaranteed and gets monthly revenue via payroll taxes.

You're missing the bigger picture here in search of a specific word.

Obama didn't single out welfare, food stamps, medicaid, WIC, HUD payments, foreign payments, or even Fed worker salaries. He singled out SS and veteran payments for his statement and targeted a specific group of Americans.

The problem with Obama is that he doesn't talk to all Americans. He targets groups to either panic or distrust or create emotions in his audience.
That is nothing more than pitting one American against another. That is not a uniter IMO but a divider.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
They don't get it because they choose not to get it.

Every one on the planet knows that it is the republicans that always want to cut social security and medicare. They don't want to cut any thing for the rich because then they will never get reelected.
There is no logic to your surmmation if Repubs rely on only the RICH to get elected they wouldn't get many votes there are other issues that attracts people voting Repub.You must be listening to your Union masters who told me for years the doom and gloom if a Repub ever got elected

Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
There is no logic to your surmmation if Repubs rely on only the RICH to get elected they wouldn't get many votes there are other issues that attracts people voting Repub.You must be listening to your Union masters who told me for years the doom and gloom if a Repub ever got elected

The logic is lost. They are not connecting the dots but listening to the sound bites and not thinking.

The rich make up a small part of American voters.
The Repubs rely on the rich to get elected.

When put together they make no sense but the movers and shakers make sure those 2 sentences are not said together.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're nitpicking GreenGene. Obama singled out SS as the monthly payment that could not be guaranteed yet SS is probably the one government payment that can be guaranteed and gets monthly revenue via payroll taxes.

You're missing the bigger picture here in search of a specific word.

Obama didn't single out welfare, food stamps, medicaid, WIC, HUD payments, foreign payments, or even Fed worker salaries. He singled out SS and veteran payments for his statement and targeted a specific group of Americans.

The problem with Obama is that he doesn't talk to all Americans. He targets groups to either panic or distrust or create emotions in his audience.
That is nothing more than pitting one American against another. That is not a uniter IMO but a divider.
No he didn't single out SS. His quote that the RWs are hammering on was taken out of context. Big surprise!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No he didn't single out SS. His quote that the RWs are hammering on was taken out of context. Big surprise!
I guess all that Hope & Change that he quoted during his campaign has been misunderstood too...flip-flopping like a fish out of water...trying to be a fence rider but he owns the fence...i like how Boenher said it he has moved the goal posts.

OBAMA is no Bill Clinton who could reach across the aisle to get things done he was likeable,very smart politically if this was Bill Clinton and he had the total control of Congress like OBAMA had he would of worked on the easy issues first.Example would be CAP & TRADE it would of passed and be signed into law,then move to the next issue and leave the hardest legislation for last like HC...but thank God he choosed HC that log jammed all of his other agendas.This justs shows how inexperienced he is at politics...wonder if he was any good at Community organizing?

Last edited by Dumbdowndemocrats; 07-24-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM

174 posts, read 117,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Well you better start the lynching by hanging Chris Dodds and Barney Frank first the true reason of the Housing Banking mess.Then Clinton for signing those bad trade deals NAFTA-Permanent Trade status to China the real job exporting legislation.ALL YOU HAVE WITH OBOZO AND THE DIMOS IS BLAME BUSH.I ALSO BLAME THE REPUBS IN CONGRESS AT THAT TIME.
Bull Manure!! ... The banking fiasco started with Rotten Ronny Raygun and his extreme need to deregulate America. The banks loved it and increased their lobbying in Washington where they bought the political will to drive us even further into this deregulation fiasco. I am not forgiving Frank, Dodd, Clinton and the rest of the bought and paid for Dems, but even you have to admit that G.W. Bush, Tom "The Hammer" Delay and his buddy Abramoff drove in the final nails. Even today when the earth is still shaking and the whole economic system here and abroad teeters on the brink of collapse, the GOP refuses to allow increased restrictions on the banks and refuses to tax the hedge fund managers et al that caused the quake in the first place.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 AM

174 posts, read 117,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Oh yeah I forgot, he is also warning of babies starving in the streets because Republicans hate babies too.

Informing the public my butt!

I told you the fools would defend him yet again and it sure didn't take long either.
Dude, Dudette or Whatever, I am not defending Obama. I have sent him several emails telling him to grow a spine and stand up to the Big Money like he promised he would do. He seems to have gotten the message in the last week or two, but he still has a way to go. It sickens me that we have the best govern that money can buy! We truly are becoming the Corporate States of America rather than the United States of America; there is little that we can agree on uniting about, but we have to try. Take a little, give little. Why do you want to protect the bankers and CEO's that are greedily devouring this country. Certainly there are bought and paid for Dems, but the whole idea of a privatized US system scares the cra* out of me. Fight the money (union, business or otherwise), don't fight the people who actually think we should do the right thing. The Middle Class and under privileged have already taken a huge a huge hit. Lets hit the DEEP Pockets for a change!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies