Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,410 times

Advertisements

I've been worried and saddened by what might happen if we default. So, I did what I usually do when something scares me: Research. It led me to all kinds of questions on the why's and how's of default; in this case there is only one reason we'd default - the politicians don't reach a compromise.

It is in my (purely avg Joe) conclusion that this is nothing but a show to try and win votes by both sides. In the end, we won't default. The goal of the game is not to win, but to show "who played it better". Sad. Even sadder how many people are being led to side one way or the other and playing right in to their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post

I've been worried and saddened by what might happen if we default. So, I did what I usually do when something scares me: Research. It led me to all kinds of questions on the why's and how's of default; in this case there is only one reason we'd default - the politicians don't reach a compromise.

It is in my (purely avg Joe) conclusion that this is nothing but a show to try and win votes by both sides. In the end, we won't default. The goal of the game is not to win, but to show "who played it better". Sad. Even sadder how many people are being led to side one way or the other and playing right in to their hands.
I don't know about that. Seems to be some partying going on in DC. Reports are that Boehner and Cantrum were out at a Karoke Bar doing a duet, "These Boots are Made for Walking", I hear.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,317 times
At this point, I know nothing. We are talking about politicians, so take everything they say with a heaping grain of salt.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Bah..they'll raise the ceiling as a temporary measure just like they did in May.

We still don't have a 2010 budget, we raised the ceiling temporarily in May to get our act together.
We still don't have it done so they'll raise it temporarily yet again.

A lot of grandstanding and we always end up throwing a bandaid on it and kicking that can down the road. But each time that bandaid gets bigger..Obama is asking for a $2.5 trillion raise.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post

It's not a game. It's time the government officials get serious about cutting spending. The level of spending is far too absurd to go on as it is.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Of course the House could have just voted on an increase to keep things simple, but the GOP is right to tie a debt limit increase to spending cuts. Let's not forget that the 2010 elections were a referendum on out-of-control spending by the Obama Administration. I'm glad to see the GOP making Democrats suffer lots of pain right now.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,943 times
Politics is like professional wrestling. Everything is scripted and acted out before hand.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
It's political fluff. Too bad it wiil destroy us, though

Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Everyone suffers if we roll this country back to the 19th Century. That is why there is a debate. Doya's think if it was clear that only blacks and hispanics would feel the pain of a super austerity program that it would take an 11th hour Act of God to narrowly avert national disaster?? Get real. The angst is over how to push the pain upon people they don't like, while sparing the people who look and talk like us. Quite a trick isn't it. It's proving to be an impossible trick to pull off. Gay people get all bent out of shape over some of the things straight people do but if it weren't for straight people there would be no gay people. Right Wing Conservatives want to slash and burn and remove every vestige of a social conscience from America's manifest in order to crush the Liberal Values that have brought this country to where it is: the pre-eminent SuperPower. Cannot be done. There is no country on the planet that has a First World status that is dismissive of the needs of its lower and middle classes. We are not going to be the first. We won't default but we will lose the AAA rating and that will be nearly as bad. All because a thousand people, more or less, want to have nothing to do with helping America stay strong.

H

Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Of course the House could have just voted on an increase to keep things simple, but the GOP is right to tie a debt limit increase to spending cuts. Let's not forget that the 2010 elections were a referendum on out-of-control spending by the Obama Administration. I'm glad to see the GOP making Democrats suffer lots of pain right now.
Did you only realize spending was out of control when Obama was elected? Really? You didn't think something was fishy when you heard the ongoing tallies for the Afghan and Iraq wars? You didn't become alarmed at the size of the DOD budget years ago? You didn't think that 768 billion dollars was an awful lot of money to give to banks that had billions of their own? All of this was pre-Obama. Where was your outrage then? I'm glad Democrats aren't caving to the insane Republican desire to make America a Third World has been overnight.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies