Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
on Monday morning?

I'm guessing between 10% and 15% of my portfolio maybe 20% will be POOF and my business will hit a flat spot!

Come to the table GOP... show you can negotiate not just say NO NO NO NO !
I hate to burst your hate bubble but, the House PASSED a bill and sent it to the Senate.

Boehner did his job.

What has the senate done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
As long as people can continue to point their finger at the other party placing blame for everything...... then no, nobody really cares and remains blind to what is actually going on !
ABSOLUTELY!

No one is talking about the elephant in the room - the trillions of $$ the new healthcare legislation that goes into effect in 2014 is gonna cost.

All this political pandering is disgusting. Even if we cut several trillion $ out of THIS budget and raise the debt ceiling, as well, it is not gonna mean a thing in a matter of months, when we have outspent ourselves yet again.

I am so disappointed in the way MSM has handled the reporting. They have used sound bites and incendiary vid clips to simply divide this country into the haves vs. the have nots - and they have managed to completely cloud the real issues.

THIS COUNTRY CANNOT CONTINUE SPENDING $$$ AT THE PRESENT RATE.

That is all that needs to be discussed. Get the fricking spending under control, people.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
How much can it drop in one day?
There is a set of circuit breakers depending on the amount of the drop and the time of the day. For the NYSE and NASDAQ, it starts with a one hour halt if the drop is 10% of the Dow before 2 PM and goes as far as a closing of the market for the remainder of the day if the Dow drops 30% any time of the day or 20% after 2 PM.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Whedo democrats stop balmg others for their failed policies.Its Bush;its wall street ;its the rich prodcuers;its the tea party now its one single senator.Excuses;excuses ;excuses.They filed to reconnise that elctions have consequences as they have said so mnay times.
Budgets do not come from the White house they come from Congress and the party that has controlled Congress since January, 2007 is the Democrat party.

Furthermore, the Democrats have controlled the budget process for FY 2008 and FY 2009 as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011.

In that first year they had to contend with G.W. Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

For FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep the government running until Obama took office. At that time they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.

And where was Obama during this time? He was a member of the very Congress that passed all theses massive spending bills and he signed the omnibus bill as president to complete the FY 2009.

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in 5 years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that the Democrats took control of Congress and that included Obama who voted for the budgets.

If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.

In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit I voted for, then voted to expand that deficit 4 fold since January, 20th

Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Typical left wing lemming..

Its always the GOPS fault..

I wonder how many of you guys actually say this nonsense in public, or do you only say it here under anonymous screenames because you know its hogwash.

OP, maybe you can tell me whats going to happen Monday to cause you to lose so much money. Or are you just talking nonsense trying to spread fear?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Budgets do not come from the White house they come from Congress and the party that has controlled Congress since January, 2007 is the Democrat party.

Furthermore, the Democrats have controlled the budget process for FY 2008 and FY 2009 as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011.

In that first year they had to contend with G.W. Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

For FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep the government running until Obama took office. At that time they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.

And where was Obama during this time? He was a member of the very Congress that passed all theses massive spending bills and he signed the omnibus bill as president to complete the FY 2009.

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in 5 years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that the Democrats took control of Congress and that included Obama who voted for the budgets.

If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.

In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit I voted for, then voted to expand that deficit 4 fold since January, 20th
There you go with them dadgum facts , again

Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
on Monday morning?

I'm guessing between 10% and 15% of my portfolio maybe 20% will be POOF and my business will hit a flat spot!

Come to the table GOP... show you can negotiate not just say NO NO NO NO !

How much will John Boehner cause you to loose?

Not near as much as Nancy Pelosi cost me.

There is nothing left to lose, after her reign and you have to sign it before you can see what's in it ideology.(scam artist 101)

Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,740 times
I'm not sure how much but I'm really not looking forward to it. Those who want a default are pretty likely to be poor and have 0 investments.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
There is a set of circuit breakers depending on the amount of the drop and the time of the day. For the NYSE and NASDAQ, it starts with a one hour halt if the drop is 10% of the Dow before 2 PM and goes as far as a closing of the market for the remainder of the day if the Dow drops 30% any time of the day or 20% after 2 PM.
If we don't get the debt ceiling raised we will have another Black Monday.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I'm not sure how much but I'm really not looking forward to it. Those who want a default are pretty likely to be poor and have 0 investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies