Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM

256 posts, read 479,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DADAAB, Kenya (AP) — The World Food Program can't reach 2.2 million Somalis in desperate need of aid in militant-controlled areas of Somalia, WFP's director said Saturday, meaning refugee camps in nearby Kenya and Ethiopia are likely to continue seeing thousands of new refugees each week.
The needs of those in Somalia's expanding famine zone are extraordinary, prompting parents to sweep up their small children and start a dangerous walk that can last days or weeks — one that many die on. Livestock have perished, and crops no longer grow after consecutive rains failed to fall in south-central Somalia.
The journey is so long and so perilous that few Somalis are eager to return to their war-torn homeland, a facet of the dual crisis of the Somalia conflict and Horn of Africa famine that has Kenyan officials — who are only reluctantly accepting more refugees — in a bind.
Josette Sheeran, the executive director of WFP, traveled to eastern Kenya on Saturday to visit the drought-stricken town of Garissa and the world's largest refugee camp, Dadaab. Sheeran talked with refugees who just completed the perilous trek from Somalia, and asked if they would consider returning if conditions improve.
"I walked 25 days to get here. I have no money," a translator quoted a refugee as telling Sheeran. He said he had passed many others on the sandy route to Dadaab who dropped off the pace and never made it here. "He said he can't go back anytime soon."
So many people are in need in Somalia because the militant group al-Shabab won't let aid in. The group, in fact, denies a famine is taking place, disputing the U.N.'s view that tens of thousands of people have already died.
WFP can't operate without the militant's permission; 14 WFP employees have been killed there since 2008. Sheeran called Somalia "the riskiest environment we operate in the world today."
Al-Shabab signaled in early July that it would accept aid groups it had previously banned, but changed course on Thursday, saying groups like WFP are not welcome. The group's refusal to accept aid from Western and "Christian" aid groups means millions could starve — or be forced to begin the hike to help to Kenya, Ethiopia or Mogadishu, the Somali capital, which is also being overwhelmed with refugees.
The Associated Press: Al-Shabab prevents aid from reaching 2.2M Somalis

Read the rest of the story at the source.

This is absolutely disgusting. A religious radical killed nearly a hundred people in Norway, and now religious radicals in Somalia are starving millions of people. Damn shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
The Religion of Peace. One day the politically correct crowd (ie. liberals) will finally figure out that "Free Love For All, No Matter The Cost, No Matter The Consequence" should not be applied to a religion who insists on oppressing its people, and mass murdering those who don't see eye-to-eye with Allah.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The Religion of Peace. One day the politically correct crowd (ie. liberals) will finally figure out that "Free Love For All, No Matter The Cost, No Matter The Consequence" should not be applied to a religion who insists on oppressing its people, and mass murdering those who don't see eye-to-eye with Allah.
What do you propose we do?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Nuke Mecca

Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Nuke Mecca
That would be ironic.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I propose that you tone down your infinite love for those who try to make America The Next Big Thing in Muslim acceptance. Liberals act like the radicals simply cannot and will not infiltrate America. I believe all of you are very short-sighted, and your opinions are ill-concieved considering that the Muslim Fatwah is to take down the United States of America. Liberals need to step back into reality for once.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Nothing..... let the other countries in the world step up to the plate for a change....

America tries to do the right thing and what happens?

We are condemned as blood thirsty capitalists..

So screw the rest of the world.....

Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I propose that you tone down your infinite love for those who try to make America The Next Big Thing in Muslim acceptance. Liberals act like the radicals simply cannot and will not infiltrate America. I believe all of you are very short-sighted, and your opinions are ill-concieved considering that the Muslim Fatwah is to take down the United States of America. Liberals need to step back into reality for once.
I'm not a Liberal .

I don't mind killing Muslims who attack us. Which is why I have no problem with us killing invading Afghanistan, toppling the Taliban, and killing OBL. I don't sympathize with the governments of many Islamic countries and the various extemists who have hijacked (no pun intended) Islam, those who promote/advocated the introduction of Sharia into Western culture, or anyone who treats women like second or third class citizens (if that). Furthermore, I am not interested in helping Muslims advance their nations, i.e. nation building. It is stupid. And a waste of US resources. Especially considering our economic condition.

Anyway, the difference between you and I that I have observed is I recognize the difference between Islamic extremists and Islamic secularists. Your reality is twisted. I would suggest that you actually speak to your American Muslim friends, if you have any, and realize that they have no interest in taking down America.

[and tone down your infinite hate - it's poison]

Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nothing..... let the other countries in the world step up to the plate for a change....

America tries to do the right thing and what happens?

We are condemned as blood thirsty capitalists..

So screw the rest of the world.....
This neutral position is preferable.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
The title of this thread is incorrect. You have painted all "Islamists" as terrorists, just like your media does.

Islam is a religion, not a cult.

Peace!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies