Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,876,885 times

Advertisements

The Republic of T. » What Rights Should Same-Sex Couples Have?

I have said repeatedly that I believe Homosexuality is a poor choice.
That is my belief and yes, I've been called, ignorant, stupid a bigot and homophobe. That aside, one person listed the link above as what he believes the "gay agenda" is, at least for himself.

I looked at the link and don't see anything that strikes me as unreasonable.

If we can agree to leave eachothers children alone and get the extremists on both sides, the God hates homo's and the Pink Brigade, out of the way. Is it possible to find middle ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,715 times
The middle ground is people and the government staying out of everyone else's private affairs. If 2 gay people want to get married, so be it. Why does that affect any other American? If you disagree with it, it's no different than disagreeing with interracial couples. Just avert your eyes. Don't expose your kids to it. You have the ability to turn off the television that agrees with those beliefs. You can shield your family from whatever you want. Why is gay marriage such a big deal to everyone else? Just let them live and be happy.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
The Republic of T. » What Rights Should Same-Sex Couples Have?

That is my belief and yes, I've been called, ignorant, stupid a bigot and homophobe. That aside, one person listed the link above as what he believes the "gay agenda" is, at least for himself.

If we can agree to leave eachothers children alone and get the extremists on both sides, the God hates homo's and the Pink Brigade, out of the way. Is it possible to find middle ground?
No. We need borders. Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Exactly why where you live should be walled off.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
The middle ground is people and the government staying out of everyone else's private affairs. If 2 gay people want to get married, so be it. Why does that affect any other American? If you disagree with it, it's no different than disagreeing with interracial couples. Just avert your eyes. Don't expose your kids to it. You have the ability to turn off the television that agrees with those beliefs. You can shield your family from whatever you want. Why is gay marriage such a big deal to everyone else? Just let them live and be happy.
I agree with you.
I'd like to see government get out of the marriage business altogether and leave it up to religious institutions. There are some religious institutions that already support gay marriage and they could also create their own religious institutions.

Again, I agree with you, government causes more problems than it solves.

I do think legal contracts between two parties should be honored regardless of the gender of the parties - such as inheritance, hospital visitation etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Exactly why where you live should be walled off.
Nice, a personal attack. tsk, tsk.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post

I think I understand what you are saying.
You have a right to live your life and teach your children as you see fit.
So do others and in such a paradigm, good fences make good neighbors.

I think the middle ground is the agreement that we all have that right even if the homes we build behind our fences are very different from eachothers.

I agree not to parade down the street in high heels and sequined panties and you agree not to send missionaries to my door.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post

I don't even understand what your complaint is.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
It adversely affects an institution vitally important to my traditional culture, virtually all traditional cultures really, since you cannot have a viable culture without a functional family structure. Using the instituion of marriage as a reward for political patronage by the democratic party machine isn't right, and it's destructive to the cultural heritage of most americans.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't even understand what your complaint is.
There is no complaint.
It's an honest question and open invitation for people in the middle to share, rather than people at the opposite ends to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies