Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM

592 posts, read 414,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sine it is obvious you do not understand how our government is structured I will help you: Congress is made up of the House of Representatives and the Senate. The House sends their bill to the Senate and the Senate either aproves it and sends it on to the President or rejects it and sends it back to the House, which is where we are. Meaning the bill has not even gotten to the President. You were saying???
Casper
O.K. So the House has done it's job. Now it is up to the Senate and Obama to either pass the House plan or let the country go into default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Does the core problem lie with a defiant Barack Obama? I realize there is unyielding resistance from both opposing sides...but...well, you tell me.

Watching this High School-esque "he said, she said" drama for the past month has convinced me that blind allegiance to a set of ideas is the core problem. Think about it; The other side isn't someone we disagree with. We hate them. We must squash them because they are traitors, enemies to our country. And look at this forum. We freakin' hate each other here, and we do nothing but argue in circles like little kids on the playground. It's pathetic.

Everyone claims to care about the country, but they don't. We care more about adherance to a set of ideas, who's right, who' wrong, who outmaneuved who, and all that crap. Compromise is an essental comonent of a diverse country like ours, but the people who pull the strings and their sheep on both sides don't want to do it because they enjoy the intrigue and one upmanship, and want to win the next election. That's why I'm convinced that this country's finished. There isn't much hope for us, and that makes me really sad because it's a great country that's done great things, and when the ship is sinking, we do nothing but bicker and point fingers. Makes me sick and sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The core of the problem is the ideology of Obama and his die hard followers. It is not the ideology this country was founded upon and it is incompatable with our Constitution.

At the core is a battle for the soul of the nation. The Marxists are so close to destroying this representative Republic designed to have limited and decentralized powers that they can taste the blood and like a predator that kills for the sport of it, it is circling for the kill. Some of us recognize what is happening and will not allow liberty to pass quietly into the night on our watch. We speak out loudly, we will not back down from our Constitution and doing the right thing for this country, even though it is going to see some very difficult times ahead.
Methinks you would have despised Alexander Hamilton, no?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Does the core problem lie with a defiant Barack Obama?
No, it lies with the vast majority of Americans who shirked their duties and obligations as US citizens.

When Congress slapped Americans in the face by raiding the surplus from the Social Security Trust Fund (since 1936) did Americans demand a law or constitutional amendment to bar that? No, they just sat there staring chewing their cud like a cow.

And now Congress is going to slap Americans in their faces again but cutting their Social Security benefits, and Americans will just stare out into space chewing their cud while it happens.

If Americans don't have the inclination to stop sexting for 5 minutes and do something about it, then they get what they deserve.

And too, Americans keep demanding more and more services from government, even though they don't have the money to pay for it.

In order to pay for your unfunded liabilities through 2050, the government needs to be collecting a minimum of $5 TRILLION in revenues every year for the next 40 years.

Not gonna happen, and anyone who says it will is either lying or clueless.

If the government is collecting $3 TRILLION in revenues 10 years from now, you'll be damn lucky.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Watching this High School-esque "he said, she said" drama for the past month has convinced me that blind allegiance to a set of ideas is the core problem. Think about it; The other side isn't someone we disagree with. We hate them. We must squash them because they are traitors, enemies to our country. And look at this forum. We freakin' hate each other here, and we do nothing but argue in circles like little kids on the playground. It's pathetic.

Everyone claims to care about the country, but they don't. We care more about adherance to a set of ideas, who's right, who' wrong, who outmaneuved who, and all that crap. Compromise is an essental comonent of a diverse country like ours, but the people who pull the strings and their sheep on both sides don't want to do it because they enjoy the intrigue and one upmanship, and want to win the next election. That's why I'm convinced that this country's finished. There isn't much hope for us, and that makes me really sad because it's a great country that's done great things, and when the ship is sinking, we do nothing but bicker and point fingers. Makes me sick and sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The core of the problem is the ideology of Obama and his die hard followers. It is not the ideology this country was founded upon and it is incompatable with our Constitution.

At the core is a battle for the soul of the nation. The Marxists are so close to destroying this representative Republic designed to have limited and decentralized powers that they can taste the blood and like a predator that kills for the sport of it, it is circling for the kill. Some of us recognize what is happening and will not allow liberty to pass quietly into the night on our watch. We speak out loudly, we will not back down from our Constitution and doing the right thing for this country, even though it is going to see some very difficult times ahead.
Methinks you would have despised Alexander Hamilton, no?
I believe you have NAILED IT!

The best summary of this terrible mess I've read. - I COMPLETELY AGREE.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it lies with the vast majority of Americans who shirked their duties and obligations as US citizens.

When Congress slapped Americans in the face by raiding the surplus from the Social Security Trust Fund (since 1936) did Americans demand a law or constitutional amendment to bar that? No, they just sat there staring chewing their cud like a cow.

And now Congress is going to slap Americans in their faces again but cutting their Social Security benefits, and Americans will just stare out into space chewing their cud while it happens.

If Americans don't have the inclination to stop sexting for 5 minutes and do something about it, then they get what they deserve.

And too, Americans keep demanding more and more services from government, even though they don't have the money to pay for it.

In order to pay for your unfunded liabilities through 2050, the government needs to be collecting a minimum of $5 TRILLION in revenues every year for the next 40 years.

Not gonna happen, and anyone who says it will is either lying or clueless.

If the government is collecting $3 TRILLION in revenues 10 years from now, you'll be damn lucky.
To be fair... Not ALL citizens just sat there staring chewing their cud like a cow. Some citizens have been calling for restraint since the days of LBJ, just not enough. Forty years later some others are beginning to agree.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Does the core problem lie with a defiant Barack Obama? I realize there is unyielding resistance from both opposing sides...but...well, you tell me.
it is a combination of a lot of things, but unless Obama and the Democrats can show cuts (in writing) plus stop the crap about not signing a Republican bill we have to blame it on Obama who, I beleive said he would work with both sides. Didn't he run on bringing the country togeter or am I confusing him with someone else? I might not be a Hillary supporter, but I would like to say "Hillary, where were you when we needed you to be the candidate?"

Nita

Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM

592 posts, read 414,465 times
It begins with the House. So it's really up to the Democrats, the Senate and Obama, to pass it or let the country go into default. Nobody cares about how they feel about the rich. And Obama should not be taking sides. The House plan has spending cuts and no tax increases. Sounds good to me. That does not mean tax increases might not be necessary in the future. But pass the plan and get on with it. Don't let your feelings toward the rich blind you to the business at hand.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it is a combination of a lot of things, but unless Obama and the Democrats can show cuts (in writing) plus stop the crap about not signing a Republican bill we have to blame it on Obama who, I beleive said he would work with both sides. Didn't he run on bringing the country togeter or am I confusing him with someone else? I might not be a Hillary supporter, but I would like to say "Hillary, where were you when we needed you to be the candidate?"

Nita

I agree. Obama is coming across as a hypocrite >>''didn't he run on bringing the country together''<< because he has not shown a real effort to honor his pledge.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
The House has passed a plan and the Senate will not vote on it. Without that even being considered by the Senate, the Speaker of the House is working on another plan, pretty poor negotiating tactic actually, and the President has already said he will veto that one.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The GOP are stubborn fools & are using this as a political ploy for next year's elections. They want a 6 month extension so it becomes a political issue next year. I would tell President Obama to go ahead and raise the debt ceiling by himself & tell Boehner and the pukes to go stick it!

^ PS: Dumbya raised the debt ceiling 7 TIMES so don't tell me this is about MARXIST bs!
The ceiling was raised in Feb. 2010 also from $12T.

This is Congress' issue. The president just says yea or nay - despite his desire and temptation to do this dictator style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies