Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerStreet View Post
Why are you defending "LoveMiami" when all he/she/it does is come in here and call everyone "losers" just because they disagree with him/her/it. LoveMiami is from another forum where they openly bash this forum, so get YOUR facts straight before posting your own tripe and defending a cowardly troll who can't even manage to string a basic sentence together to save his/her/its life.
I couldn't care less who LoveMiami is. Or about what that forum thinks of this one.

This isn't middle school. I don't CARE about childishness like that.

And it doesn't change the fact that your post is still totally hypocritical, which is what I called YOU out for.

[For the record, I joined the other forum. *shrug* why not.]

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
That's probably the root of why so many people hate it. It's not been representative of the United States for maybe 25 years and Broward is quickly going down the same route.

South Florida minorities on the move - 08/09/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)
how are 87, 82, and 51% categorized as minority? I would call that a MAJORITY. I think people have lost touch with what the true definitions of minority/majority are. What you are describing is a non-white majority, no? I wouldn't want to be called a 'minority' if in fact the 'majority' of the people in a particular region dominates.

I think we all need to learn that white is no longer the majority and is now the minority in certain pockets of this country. I am not going to comment about the qualities of such regions, but it would be great if we could all agree that a minority isn't automatically someone who isn't caucasian and really applies to whoever there is less of in a particular area..

Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
how are 87, 82, and 51% categorized as minority? I would call that a MAJORITY. I think people have lost touch with what the true definitions of minority/majority are. What you are describing is a non-white majority, no? I wouldn't want to be called a 'minority' if in fact the 'majority' of the people in a particular region dominates.

I think we all need to learn that white is no longer the majority and is now the minority in certain pockets of this country. I am not going to comment about the qualities of such regions, but it would be great if we could all agree that a minority isn't automatically someone who isn't caucasian and really applies to whoever there is less of in a particular area..
Correction to your post. Caucasians are anyone of European white descent. I am Cuban, and white, so I am as Caucasian as "Jim McDonald from Alabama". Being Hispanic is not belonging to a particular race or ethnic group. It is solely based on the language that we share and an almost similar culture. Although all Hispanic nationalities have different cultures.

Aside from that, it is true that the White Anglo majority in this country is becoming the minority in our nation's biggest cities. A sad reality.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Correction to your post. Caucasians are anyone of European white descent. I am Cuban, and white, so I am as Caucasian as "Jim McDonald from Alabama". Being Hispanic is not belonging to a particular race or ethnic group. It is solely based on the language that we share and an almost similar culture. Although all Hispanic nationalities have different cultures.

Aside from that, it is true that the White Anglo majority in this country is becoming the minority in our nation's biggest cities. A sad reality.

I agree with most of what you said. BUT, "white Anglos" haven't been the majority for decades. The single most cited European ancestry in the United States has been and still is (for now), German.

German descended people are not "Anglo." Neither are the bulk majority of Irish descendants, and especially not the large recent numbers of Russian and Eastern European immigrants. Anglo = British, basically (though the Celts will even take issue with that). It's improper and culturally insensitive to lump all European whites as "Anglos."

Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
how are 87, 82, and 51% categorized as minority? I would call that a MAJORITY. I think people have lost touch with what the true definitions of minority/majority are.
While whites are the minority in those regions, they are the overwhelming majority nationwide.

That is the other groups are still referred to as minorities. [Because they are.]

Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Why is that a "sad" reality?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what exacly you are correcting from my post - I didn't even mention Hispanics so please let me know where I misspoke.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Why is that a "sad" reality?
Oh it is sad for some Caucasians...check out the Immigration Forum, they are in panic mode up there...

Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Oh it is sad for some Caucasians...check out the Immigration Forum, they are in panic mode up there...
What is up with the Caucasian thing ... are people really that ignorant here ... a white hispanic is a Caucasian , a white Italian is a Caucasian , a white Spaniard is a Caucasian , a white Frenchman is a Caucasian , a white person from Portugal is a Caucasian ... WTF ????

If you are "white " and an English speaking American you do not have the market on being a Caucasian , call yourself a "White American " or "Anglo" or whatever but you cannot label yourself as a Caucasian and think "White" skinned peoples from other nationalities are not . I am a "white skinned " American and a Caucasian just like my white skinned neighbors from Argentina and Colombia here in Boca . Hispanic is not a race , it is a catagory that demographers came up with during the Nixon era for census purposes and a Hispanic can be a Caucasian , Indigenous , Asian or African .

Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
Lmao.....What did all the cocaine revenue dry up??? Say hello to my little friend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies