Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,192,183 times

Advertisements

I doubt if the Catholic Church will ever change its rule about not allowing priests to marry but if they would, it might make some headway into solving this problem. Denying priests a church-sanctioned sexual outlet i.e. marriage, is part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,649,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I doubt if the Catholic Church will ever change its rule about not allowing priests to marry but if they would, it might make some headway into solving this problem. Denying priests a church-sanctioned sexual outlet i.e. marriage, is part of the problem.
If this were the case then Marriage would be a panacea for sexual abuse in secular society or in those religions that allow marriage.

Lots of studies and data out there to support my assertion. Also the percentage of Catholic Priests that sexually abuse children is the same as most all other professions that have direct contact with children. Teachers for example.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM

5,534 posts, read 7,096,789 times
Marriage is a great idea, maybe not a cure-all but a move in the right direction

Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,192,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
If this were the case then Marriage would be a panacea for sexual abuse in secular society or in those religions that allow marriage.

Lots of studies and data out there to support my assertion. Also the percentage of Catholic Priests that sexually abuse children is the same as most all other professions that have direct contact with children. Teachers for example.
Not saying that removing the prohibition against priest marriage would solve the problem--just that it might be a step in the right direction. Pedophiles are pretty close to the top of the list of "Disgusting People I Hate"--way above "racists".

Interesting. I didn't know there were any stats on the professions of pedophiles.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,649,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Not saying that removing the prohibition against priest marriage would solve the problem--just that it might be a step in the right direction. Pedophiles are pretty close to the top of the list of "Disgusting People I Hate"--way above "racists".

Interesting. I didn't know there were any stats on the professions of pedophiles.
I'm not discounting the level of disgust and loathing for pedophiles. I have children myself. I was providing factual information about the myth of marriage helping to solve sexual abuse of children. Choosing a vocation in the Catholic Church is purely voluntary.

There is a lot of information on the abuse rates children across all sections of society.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,904,240 times
In my opinion, the Roman Catholic church is a criminal enterprise.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM

5,534 posts, read 7,096,789 times
Halo-wearing pedophiles are at the top of my hate list.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,075,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Correct on the first point, incorrect on the 2nd.

The Vatican must accept full blame for excusing these monsters for so long, and for then shuffling them around to different parishes, and should expect to be punished for it in a grand way

BUT

do not punish the other people of the Church.
The rest of us Catholics are doing things like, oh I don't know,
practicing our faith, funding charities, and the like.

After all, just because the USA has wronged other countries in so many ways, we don't destroy the country overall and all of its citizens.

Take on the head of the Church, take on anyone who has perpetuated this horrific stain,
but let the rest of us worship as we have been.
Amen! ITA!!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,075,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Funny, I'm atheist and I think it's atrocious how the Church has been used as a giant cash cow by anyone who can say "Father so-and-so touched my peepee 30 years ago, now hand over some money and I'll go away."
That's the problem. You don't need actual evidence to make a sexual abuse allegation if you claim it happend when you were under a certain age.
Do I think some priests have abused kids, yes. Do I think everyone who's been accused, has? No.
Esp. not if there's $$ gain to be had.
I was sexually abused as child (by a babysitter)
I was raised Catholic until I was 12.
The priest i had at the time is dead now.
It wouldn't be hard to make a claim of abuse and very likely be believed, if I was unscrupulous. there are alot of unscrupulous people in this world.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,101,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I'm not joking, I love Sinead O'Connor.

But I agree, this is a serious topic and I think the catholic church is disgusting.
Again, it's not the Catholic Church that is at fault, it's the fault of those who did the deed and the ones who covered it up. NOT the Church, NOT the churches', NOT the Catholics themselves. You run the risk of demonizing the entire group when you phrase it the way you do...and I think you are doing that on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies