Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Marriage is a great idea, maybe not a cure-all but a move in the right direction
Considering that the Abel and Harlow study of over 4000 child molestors in the US showed that 93% were religious and 77% were married, I'm not sure that would help that much.

http://www.childmolestationpreventio...pdfs/study.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree and understand your point. I think the Pope needs to come out and condemn it. Just in googling, though, I see he has already "fired" several priests accused of molestation, according to this article: Pope laicizes three priests accused of molesting children, soliciting sex from teens

I am not even Catholic so I don't know all the history behind this but like I said, it seems that most want to take the entire Catholic Church down b/c of this and I have a problem with that. Well, I should clarify and say that it's C-Ders that seem to just hate on everything Christian in general, so I guess maybe I shouldn't be surprised they want to just blame the Catholic Church as a whole.
Ratzinger (Pope Benedict) himself was in involved in cover-ups when he was a Cardinal.

The heirarchy of the Church are a "brood of vipers".

Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Referring to a church and its staff/congregants as a "nest of vipers" is hardly a good way to make your point.

Obviously I don't agree with the abuse or any kind of cover up, but I am deeply religious and would prefer to not have to hear any kind of Christian or church bashing, thanks.
Why should the religious/Christians get treated with kid gloves when it comes to protecting children from sexual abuse?

That's one of the problems. And why child abuse still happens so much. People don't expect someone who is a religious family man to sexually abuse children. But they do.

In a large well known study of about 4000 child molestors in the US:

93% were religious.

77% were married.

68% of them said that they had molested children in their family.

http://www.childmolestationpreventio...pdfs/study.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies