Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Why do you sit around reading and picking apart articles you hate? Go outside and enjoy the world around you.
Ha ha, you sound like my wife...you are right, life is too short...

But I believe that if awful trash like roger cohen is not addressed, the NYT will believe that he is a quality, appreciated and respected writer.

Though i have to admit, there are times that I believe some outlets include writers like this merely to incite and antagonize their audience, to get them to write on the web forums and engage the paper more fully. This angry response drives up circulation, the ultimate goal of the paper, so to a certain extent I take these editorials with a grain of salt.

That said, as frustrating as it is the rag NYT still has influence, particularly over what other media outlets report/focus on, and can thereby steer the attention of the vast public onto specific items, as I complained about in the syrian/breivak thread. This underhanded manipulation is clear to me, and they should not think it goes un-noticed to the larger public.

But to make them aware we know what they are doing, we must respond and write about it, in places like here and elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
I disagree to a certain extent, but there are sections of the times that are well done like the ny/metro section, and sections of the WSJ (to that i suscribe) that are awful. But overall, can read the main section of the WSJ each day and skim the editorials and not toss my breakfast. I disagree with the editorial board of the journal on many issues such as immigration and corporatism, but at least its readable. I can barely stomach the times, it is built upon lie after lie...
Then don't buy it. YOu seem to be fixated on anything that says anything negative about Israel. You must really hate the Israeli newspaper Haaretz. Like this article. http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...daism-1.350656

I love that newspaper. I receive this subscription as well as NYT. I am glad that you don't like it. If I needed any validation that it was a good paper, the fact that you don't like it would do it for me. However validation is not necessary.

You kind of remind me of Uncle Leo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZBK...yer_detailpage

Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its an OPINION
Indeed, and i intentionally read sources like this and others on the left to keep an open mind and hear other points of view, but this author is so incredibly weak and juvenile a writer, and continues to focus on iran as if he is the Times' most knowledgeable source on that country - a joke to be sure - that I've reached a point that i cannot let it slide any more.

The paper has gotten rid of a number of bad authors, hopefully with enough pressure this tool will be next.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Then don't buy it. YOu seem to be fixated on anything that says anything negative about Israel. You must really hate the Israeli newspaper Haaretz. Like this article. Toward a more assertive liberal Judaism - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
More off-topic nonsense from the far left pyschotics...

You enjoy your little off-world bubble of the NYT editorial board, "winning" writers like roger cohen and crud like gideon levy, and the rest of us will maintain our participating in the real world.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
More off-topic nonsense from the far left pyschotics...

You enjoy your little off-world bubble of the NYT editorial board, "winning" writers like roger cohen and crud like gideon levy, and the rest of us will maintain our participating in the real world.
Sounds like anyone who does not agree with you is a far left psychotic. I certainly do not agree with all of what Cohen writes. He was pro war in Iraq, and that was a mistake. I think he understands that now. He is an excellent writer on the middle east though, and he is able to put a Jewish perspective that is less tainted by the Israel conservative politics.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Is the problem that the New York Times uses too many big words?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I don't get it. You are irate because a newspaper with a political bias printed an opinion in their opinion section that you didn't like?

I don't like Chinese food so I don't go to Chinese food restaurants. Problem solved.

Besides, there are other news sources in the world, it is not like you are forced to read the NYT. Here, try this one, Vanguard News Network

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
While any rational person I speak with despises the far left nyt editorial board for its pyschotic, lunatic ravings such as how NYS should actually RAISE its taxes, or its vitriolic hatred of israel, it is opinion writers there like roger cohen who represent the worst, most nauseating thoughts of this rag. The paper would be far more appealing if the entire main section that covers national/international news and editorial were no longer published.

That said, he is an example of cohen's latest idiotic column that I've torn apart:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/op...ml?ref=opinion

" No doubt, that is how Islamophobic right-wingers in Europe and the United States who share his views but not his methods will seek to portray Breivik."

So unlike terrorist muslims who far left morons like roger claim DON'T represent ALL muslims, a single lunatic gunman now represents all conservatives?

"Breivik is no loner. His violence was brewed in a specific European environment that shares characteristics with the specific American environment of Loughner: relative economic decline, a jobless recovery, middle-class anxiety and high levels of immigration serving as the backdrop for racist Islamophobia and use of the spurious specter of a “Muslim takeover” as a wedge political issue to channel frustrations rightward."

As typical of the far left psychotics, lie when need to. Breivak was of means, and Norway is the wealthiest country in the world. But why let facts get in the way of a left wing lunatic's anti-conservative screed?

"What has become clear in Oslo and on Utoya Island is that delusional anti-Muslim rightist hatred aimed at “multiculturalist” liberals can be just as dangerous as Al Qaeda’s anti-infidel poison: Breivik alone killed many more people than the four Islamist suicide bombers in the 7/7 London attack of 2005."

So, if a person with intelligence sees that the mass immigration of hostile muslims, unwilling to assimilate - that are causing most of the crime increase in their country - as a problem, they must be delusional? Or is it that roger, anyone who does not buy your unbelievable crap writings because they can think for themselves is "delusional"?

And he adds the laughably stupid line we see applied to Israel/arab conflicts, where the number of people killed on a side dictates who is "right" or "wrong."

" Breivik has many ideological fellow travelers on both sides of the Atlantic. Theirs is the poison in which he refined his murderous resentment. The enablers include Geert Wilders in the Netherlands..."

So again, anyone who wants to stop the muslim mass flow is "racist"? As expected from the far left, when the facts don't aid your argument, just toss the "racist" label...

" Muslims over the past decade have not done enough to denounce those who deformed their religion in the name of jihadist murder. Will the European and U.S. anti-immigrant Islamophobic crowd now denounce what Breivik has done under their ideological banner? I doubt it. We’ll be hearing a lot about what a loner he was."

Why should conservatives? He is one person, not a mass movement. When I see 400 million conservatives stand up and justify mass slaughter the way we see muslims do, THEN roger might have an argument.

" Huge social problems have accompanied Muslim immigration in Europe in recent decades, much greater than in the more open United States. There is plenty of blame to go around. Immigrants have often faced racism and exclusion. The values of Islam on women, on marriage and on homosexuality, as well as the very vitality of the religion, have grated on a secular Europe. The picture is not uniform — successful integration exists — but it is troubling."

So finally, at least the idiot admits that muslim immigration has been an issue - but dilutes his comment with "There is plenty of blame to go around." How can an informed person with brains say that - when the immigrants themselves openly declare their hatred for secular democracy? Why else would people like that be immigrating, unless it was to eventually overwhelm the host country?

" Nothing, however, can excuse the widespread condoning of an anti-Muslim racism once reserved for the Jews of Europe. Not on the weekend when Amy Winehouse, a Jewish girl..."

In a last grasp at trying to appeal to the cheap seats, he tosses the jew-race card trying to lap up some stupid sheep who might say, "yeah, that's right....didn't those euros once kill a lot of jews"? It has become clear to me that the intellectual level of people who read the other sections of the NYT absolutely dwarfs that who read and enjoy the opinion articles.

For those still on the fence over roger's intelligence and knowledge, look up his articles on iran - he is the leading light on what not to do regarding that country.

And despite the ravings of its fellow far leftist rag NY magazine, the NYT is not doing any better that it was a few years ago - I personally know at least a dozen people currently boycotting the times until its editorial board is revamped entirely. Financially on paper, it might have rescued itself, but until it begins to take a more mainstream position, it will continue to remain on life support.

G-d do I hate the NYT, rant over...

That was quite the spitlle-spewing screed.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't get it. You are irate because a newspaper with a political bias printed an opinion in their opinion section that you didn't like? I don't like Chinese food so I don't go to Chinese food restaurants. Problem solved. Besides, there are other news sources in the world, it is not like you are forced to read the NYT. Here, try this one, Vanguard News Network
The issues I have with it are that this rag is so pervasive in NY, almost every other news outlet either quotes it or refers to it.

Second, many sheep still respect it when it is clearly an ideological rag, and has so much influence on what other major newspapers cover. The abu ghraib nonsense had more cover stories than world war 2 did, it was the primary driver of a minor, unimportant story that it was fueling merely to score points against the bush white house. And the compliant, thoughtless true believers lapping at its boots like the BBC, le monde and other major news outlets followed suit to cover that tiny story like it was the whole f--king war.

And for those in this thread who believe that cohen has a clue, read his articles on iran, you'd think he was on AN's payroll. No one, not even seymour hersh the idiot, defends the iranian mullahs more than he does. Cohen is total trash.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is the problem that the New York Times uses too many big words?
Why, is that why you have your parents read it to you every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies