Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the economy going to collapse?
Yes, very soon 18 11.32%
Yes, in the coming months 21 13.21%
Yes, next year 13 8.18%
Yes, in the years to come 27 16.98%
Maybe, very soon 4 2.52%
Maybe, in the coming months 6 3.77%
Maybe, next year 2 1.26%
Maybe, in the years to come 19 11.95%
No, so put away your tinfoil hat 49 30.82%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
yes we will learn how to live in caves again, using the last whale oil available to luminate them

in 10 years we will be toast
Don't worry, there will be no jelly or butter for your toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Political hogwash

Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Two questions.

1. If the USD is no longer the reserve currency which currency will replace it considering the Euro zone has bigger structural problems, the British Empire isn't coming back and the Chinese currency is on a peg?

2. How can there be a big war, that anyone could hope to survive, when all the major powers have nuclear weapons?
Why don't you just ask yourself how a god could put a life on a planet, tell them to "be fruitful and multiply" and forget to tell them the planet can only sustain a certain amount of people.

The answer is the same for all...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
i marked , 'yes in the years to come', because economies are cyclical and i anticipate we will have another economic collapse eventually. i guess it depends on what you call a "collapse".

Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
All the trillions of stimulus spent, QE1, QE2, the recently discovered 14 trillion the fed's pumped in, Obama continuing to spend deficit at over 4 billion a day, all the programs to attempt to stop foreclosures and home values from plummeting, people continuously becoming jobless and starting unemployment at a click of a half million people per week and has been for over two years ... All this and the economy is still tanking. Now the stimulus is gone, the QE 1 and 2 has ended, Obama's credit card is being pulled ... and the economy is still sliding into the abyss.

Do I think the economy will collapse? Yes!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
If there is no debt deal by Friday, the markets will start 'collapsing' and Monday may be late September 2008 all over again. I was considering purchasing some stock today but I am not going to because I am afraid on how much I will lose in 3-5 days.

We are witnessing the 'worst case scenario' of our political system in action right now. Divided government is good, but only when it is divided by branch. When there are divisions within a branch, the situation turns more precarious (with some exception for the Supreme Court, though we have witnessed many 5-4 decisions, just the stakes are not as high as our current situation).

If the government fails to act by Friday, this will be the biggest failure of the US government - ever. I mean that with all sincerity, and the world will take notice and quickly back away. Our influence in the economy and world politics has already been taken down a couple of notches post-2008 and this will shove us further down the ladder. In ways, leaders of nations like China are hoping for no debt deal, because it increases their power at the negotiating table and hastens the move away from the dollar as the reserve currency.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
With so much fear about our debt and the failure to pass a bill, what are your thoughts on where we are heading?

The sooner the USA defaults on both the funded and unfunded debt the better. Foreign countries will refuse to lend the federal goverment any money forcing the goverment to make do with money collected with taxes and not a penny more.
The people will also realize that social security, medicare and medicaid is nothing but a huge "barry madoff" ponzie scheme and force the federal goverment to not collect the taxes associated with that ponzie scheme.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Two questions.

1. If the USD is no longer the reserve currency which currency will replace it considering the Euro zone has bigger structural problems, the British Empire isn't coming back and the Chinese currency is on a peg?

2. How can there be a big war, that anyone could hope to survive, when all the major powers have nuclear weapons?
Let me start off by saying I am no expert nor am I a economist, so anything I write is a matter of opinion from myself and others. There are a couple of scenarios who knows which one will become reality. One has the world breaking up into regions with each one having their own reserve currency.

Look at the EU, what is it like 18 countries using the same currency. I am sure you have heard of the N A union where Canada,U S and Mexico will be joined together in a union and those countries will have their currency. In other words there won't be one reserve currency that has to be used to buy oil but each region will have it priced in their regions currency.

Then you have China and others that wants SDR's that are issued by the IMF as the reserve currency.
Quote:
Special Drawing Rights (SDRs) are supplementary foreign exchange reserve assets defined and maintained by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Not a currency, SDRs instead represent a claim to currency held by IMF member countries for which they may be exchanged.[1] As they can only be exchanged for Euros, Japanese yen, UK pounds, or US dollars,[imf 1] SDRs may actually represent a potential claim on IMF member countries' nongold foreign exchange reserve assets, which are usually held in those currencies. While they may appear to have a far more important part to play, or, perhaps, an important future role, being the unit of account for the IMF has long been the main function of the SDR.[Williamson 1]

On the second part who knows how a big war will play out. A few nukes could be dropped or it could be bombs away. No matter what I do not think it would be the end for mankind.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
As our standard of living declines it will feel like a collapse because most of us have never experienced this. We've had our recessions and such but have bounced back.

I do think this one is different with a more permanent after effect due to the offshoring of higher paying jobs. We have turned into a consumer nation full of service type jobs as the basis of our economy.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
As our standard of living declines it will feel like a collapse because most of us have never experienced this. We've had our recessions and such but have bounced back.

I do think this one is different with a more permanent after effect due to the offshoring of higher paying jobs. We have turned into a consumer nation full of service type jobs as the basis of our economy.
I sense our collapse will take time and at some point it will be very painful. I'm just not sure how long it will take. A few years, five years, eight years, I just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies