Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Being poor does not sound that attractive to me. Given the choice I think most would prefer not to be poor. $500 a month does not go very far.
It does when you get 'free' healthcare,food,housing,etc,etc....

Then there is the work for cash scenario.

Better than working to pay others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It does when you get 'free' healthcare,food,housing,etc,etc....

Then there is the work for cash scenario.

Better than working to pay others....

Well if you benefits are so good for being poor, why don't you do it. Why doesn't everyone do it?

Does being poor pay for my car, my auto insurance, my son's clothes, gifts to my friends, dinner out, a movie...it is not a good life. Envy or hatred of the poor is a waste of time and energy, and is certainly misplaced.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If welfare paid enough for a decent living I would be there is a stone second. The other alternative is a big enough annuity. There is no functional difference. Both provide unearned money.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Well if you benefits are so good for being poor, why don't you do it.
Right now?Because we need more money to get set up better...
Quote:
Why doesn't everyone do it?
Shhhhh!!! We don't want everyone getting on the bandwagon,some idiots have to keep working to pay the 'poor'.

Quote:
Does being poor pay for my car, my auto insurance, my son's clothes, gifts to my friends, dinner out, a movie...it is not a good life.
No,cash does,unless you require extravagance...
As to a good life,is working 40+ hours a week for the best part of your life,sacrificing your health for the job,missing out on your family a 'good life'?

Quote:
Envy or hatred of the poor is a waste of time and energy, and is certainly misplaced.
I do neither,I wish to emulate them,they have figured out the system(well to some extent) and know how to work it to their advantage....

This is not for everyone,some people NEED to slave away and waste their only life...then some people have chilluns.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If welfare paid enough for a decent living I would be there is a stone second.
It obviously pays enough for millions of Americans....just need to work the system to your advantage.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Right now?Because we need more money to get set up better...

Shhhhh!!! We don't want everyone getting on the bandwagon,some idiots have to keep working to pay the 'poor'.

No,cash does,unless you require extravagance...
As to a good life,is working 40+ hours a week for the best part of your life,sacrificing your health for the job,missing out on your family a 'good life'?

I do neither,I wish to emulate them,they have figured out the system(well to some extent) and know how to work it to their advantage....

This is not for everyone,some people NEED to slave away and waste their only life...then some people have chilluns.
So you are saying that you admire the poor? That would be a change for Republicans. I personally feel sorry for the poor. There are two distinct groups of poor people. Those who are down on their luck and are trying to get back into society and those who feel that govt. benefits are their best choice for life. I think both deserve pity. However, I believe one deserves help and one does not. I have no problem to require people that receive govt. benefits to have to work for those benefits.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Canada doesn't have free education. Their universities are subsidized so they're affordable and they have loans for people who are poor.

They have a very educated population so there's a lot fewer people listening to fringe radio, tv etc.

I'd say Germany is probably even better since you can more easily get around and the weather is better.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that you admire the poor? That would be a change for Republicans.
Admire?Well they know how to game a system to their advantage...

Quote:
I personally feel sorry for the poor.
How....superior of you.

Quote:
There are two distinct groups of poor people. Those who are down on their luck and are trying to get back into society and those who feel that govt. benefits are their best choice for life. I think both deserve pity.
I don't pity anyone really,almost every person in this nation has free will and the ability to make their own choices.

Quote:
However, I believe one deserves help and one does not.
Ohh,you want to pick the 'nice poor' and let the rest starve???
Why do you hate poor people?

Quote:
I have no problem to require people that receive govt. benefits to have to work for those benefits.
Why?To make you feel better?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Actually Australia is better if the goal is having a good life with good pay(if you choose to work) and a much better 'safety net'...

Only thing is,very few of you would be allowed in...got to keep out the riff raff.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
they take forever to renew passports if yours is expired. I'm talking third world deteriorating-in-stability-dictatorship levels of slowness. Until that gets fixed, they're no utopia.
Huh? Just performed that little exercise so we can continue escaping "utopia" during the winter months.

Drove to the post office and picked up the forms returned home to fill them out then drove to the nearest location to us, waited in a line for 5 minutes to hand in the forms along with our old passports and pay the fees.

They arrived in the snail-mail 13 days later. No big delay in our estimation.

You want to discuss the price of $80.00 or so for a document that's only good for 5 years , well then, we're probably going to be in agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies