Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I think not raising the debt ceiling and forcing a global economic crash is even more irresponsible.
Hasn't the end of the world been scheduled to take place in 2012?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Please provide sufficient documentation, to support your assertion, that not raising the debt ceiling will cause a global economic crash. Thx.

It's this pervasive ignorance about the economic ramifications of not raising the debt ceiling that is making many Americans believe the Tea Party doesn't have what it takes to every assume a serious leadership position in the federal government.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Is that any worse than going bankrupt?
The ceiling raise has nothing to do with future spending, only that which has already been committed to by this and prior sessions of Congress over out history.

Congress Constitutional responsibility passes laws/funding programs, we own the debt and it has the “full faith and credit” of the US behind it. These are all laws that then need to be upheld and honored.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's this pervasive ignorance about the economic ramifications of not raising the debt ceiling that is making many Americans believe the Tea Party doesn't have what it takes to every assume a serious leadership position in the federal government.
Are you kidding me? Not everyone subscribes to the neo-Keynesian economic model that you do. You want to spend now at the expense of my future. The credit card is maxed out.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? Not everyone subscribes to the neo-Keynesian economic model that you do. You want to spend now at the expense of my future. The credit card is maxed out.
Interesting that you brought up credit cards.

Think of the debt ceiling like this.

Your wife (congress) authorized you to spend 7,000 dollars on your credit card at 10% interest.

Then when the bill comes due, she decides she doesn't want to pay the 700 dollars a year on the money she authorized you to spend.

This, in essence, is the debt ceiling debate. Congress approved the spending. If they don't raise the debt ceiling, then they are defaulting on the debt they already agreed to.

Thats why its irresponsible, and why it has nothing to do with further government spending.

The budget is about future spending, and we can debate that separate from the old spending that is paid for by raising the debt ceiling.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Interesting that you brought up credit cards.

Think of the debt ceiling like this.

Your wife (congress) authorized you to spend 7,000 dollars on your credit card at 10% interest.

Then when the bill comes due, she decides she doesn't want to pay the 700 dollars a year on the money she authorized you to spend.

This, in essence, is the debt ceiling debate. Congress approved the spending. If they don't raise the debt ceiling, then they are defaulting on the debt they already agreed to.

Thats why its irresponsible, and why it has nothing to do with further government spending.

The budget is about future spending, and we can debate that separate from the old spending that is paid for by raising the debt ceiling.
They just don't get it as they don't get that this is just a dog and pony show by the GOP to pander to the really ignorant and stupid Tea Party Congressional newbies and their supporters.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They just don't get it as they don't get that this is just a dog and pony show by the GOP to pander to the really ignorant and stupid Tea Party Congressional newbies and their supporters.
I focus on facts, you focus on insults. Herein lies the difference.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Seems you are expecting Congressmen who do not represent your district to act a certain way. Seems a bit odd that you're surprised.
You make the fundamental mistake of ASSUMING that a Liberal cannot live in a District where a Republican, or as you call them, Tea Party (as if they were different, not yet, but soon) is the Rep. WOW. Get out more, that is not how America is built. So as for your question, it is a MAJOR FAILURE
Next!
Casper

Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I focus on facts, you focus on insults. Herein lies the difference.
Obviously you do not have focus as a few posts back I gave the explantion as to why the debt ceiling needs to be raised. It has been given many times and yet the people responsible for voting on it and their supporters ignore the facts as if they are programmed to do so. If that is not ignorant and stupid then what is??? I call it as I see it.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obviously you do not have focus as a few posts back I gave the explantion as to why the debt ceiling needs to be raised. It has been given many times and yet the people responsible for voting on it and their supporters ignore the facts as if they are programmed to do so. If that is not ignorant and stupid then what is??? I call it as I see it.
You did not give an explanation for why the debt ceiling needs to be raised. Rehashing MSNBC and Huffington Post talking points isn't a sufficient reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies