Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'd rather pay a teacher than a soldier.
And I assume....that theacher would be from atlanta...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, I can gurantee there are slackers....but just because you see 1 bad apple does not make us all....I know you understand that....

Because that is a perk that goes with voluntering......thats the reason most do it...for the 20 year retirement....
If you don't like the change, you can always choose not to re-up.
It's all about choices.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
They make that CHOICE. They CHOOSE to join the military. They're not special.
Cut me a break. You get guaranteed housing, medical, education, pay raises.
You KNOW what the military life is before you get in, or you can choose to leave.
No one is FORCING you to be in the military.
I'm tired of the whining that I hear from the military and military families. Most households in the US have 2 people working. They're not breeding their way into poverty.
Military members have more kids than people on the outside because they get everything paid for.

I don't feel sorry for you.
You make your own choices. Don't like it, make another.

Shows how much you know. You get paid the same whether you have ONE child or 20 in the military. You sure have a chip on your shouler in regards to the military.

You are right, NO ONE forced us to sign our names on the line, however, when we did, ESPECIALLY when signing up for INDEFINITE, there ARE in fact obligations on both sides that are being agreed to be met- including benefits. DEAL WITH IT

Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Reenlisting into indefinite status raises an interesting point. Still though, that's no guarantee of anything. It only guarantees that if you keep your nose clean, you don't have to worry about making a certain standard in order to reenlist....you're locked in.

....but then, you aren't. You can be QMP'd despite being in indefinite status, and you have no recourse against the military, which is proof that there is no promise of a 20 year retirement. And if they tell you that the policy is changing to 30 years for retirement, you'll stay because you can't find a better deal elsewhere and you know it.
Look, if they're going to change the retirment system, they are going to have to do something for people like me. I can't leave voluntarily now. I'm locked in. Soooo... if I can't retire, I want out now.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You have choices, if they change the system.
Get a job on the outside or do what it takes.
11 years, big deal. Many people change careers after 11 years.

You know nothing about me to make personal judgments.
I've either been in or working around the military community for decades.
Sorry, you're not special.
It's clear from your posts you hate military, chie. Sorry you feel that way. Glad you're a minority.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Ten military years are equivalent to 20 civilian years.†That’s what one military spouse told me not too long ago. When I tell people that my husband would be eligible for retirement in his 40s, they can hardly believe it. It’s one of those things that sounds too good to be true, but actually IS true. People join the military for all sorts of reasons, but I’d venture to say that the 20-year “fixed†retirement is a huge, juicy carrot which many prospective service members find hard to resist. And who can blame them?

Today brings news of a proposal by the Defense Business Board to overhaul one of the most attractive benefits of military service, the 20-year fixed pension.

A sweeping new plan to overhaul the Pentagon’s retirement system would give some benefits to all troops and phase out the 20-year cliff vesting system that has defined military careers for generations, the Military Times newspapers reported.
The plan calls for a corporate-style benefits program that would contribute money to troops’ retirement savings account rather than the promise of a future monthly pension, according to a new proposal from an influential Pentagon advisory board.
The move would save the Pentagon money — at a time when it’s being asked to cut at least $400 billion — and benefit troops who leave with less than 20 years of service.
Read more: http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2011/07/s...#ixzz1TQoGAUit
SpouseBUZZ.com
Just curious - Does the government discourage you from staying in the military into your late 40s and 50s or does it try to push you out after your 20 years?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Shows how much you know. You get paid the same whether you have ONE child or 20 in the military. You sure have a chip on your shouler in regards to the military.
Have things changed since the 1980s? When we were in we got a "raise" for every dependent my husband had. If he got married, he got a raise, if he had a kid, he got a raise, and so on. Granted, it was never enough to be worth it but he did get an allowance for such things.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And if they tell you that the policy is changing to 30 years for retirement, you'll stay because you can't find a better deal elsewhere and you know it.
Whatever . I had a four-year degree when I joined and was a few credits shy of getting a teacher's certification. That was always the job I was going to do. I was going to do four and get out. I only stuck around because of 9/11. Believe it or not, desert, I have stayed in because I have discovered I'm one of those who rolls with the punches quite well. Most I have deployed with have gotten out. It's pretty nerve wracking to go to war. I have found, eh... I can hang. So I've stuck around to keep doing what needs to be done. I figure someone has had to. If they raise the age to 30 years, I want out tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM

760 posts, read 685,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Have things changed since the 1980s? When we were in we got a "raise" for every dependent my husband had. If he got married, he got a raise, if he had a kid, he got a raise, and so on. Granted, it was never enough to be worth it but he did get an allowance for such things.
No, you only get a bump in pay for one dependent, whether that be a wife or child.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, things have changed since the 80s. I have never even heard of being paid like this. We don't get raises for getting married and having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies