Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It will certainly be interesting to see how everyone votes. I'm not happy, either. CC&B was where it's at, it was a good compromise, IMO.
It wasn't compromise at all that is why it was DOA when they wrote it and when it went to the Senate. They knew it wasn't going up for a vote but they wasted time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Take annual revenue (lets assume it's 5 trillion) and subtract it from the current spending levels (assuming 7 trillion). Split the 2 trillion deficit down the middle and COMPROMISE with 1 trillion in immediate spending cuts and a 1 trillion in immediate tax increases. Neither will be popular but it's a fair split. Follow that with a balanced budget amendment to the constitution. Problem solved.

Now it'll never, ever happen because republicans don't want tax increases and democrats can't whipe their own butts without goverment assistance so they'll never agree to spending cuts.

Result: eventual decrease in the nations credit rating followed by reduced ability to borrow money and the inevitable spending cuts and tax increases that nobody wants now. So it's all just politics. The money WILL eventually run out and you silly government dependant democrats are gonna take it on the chin simply because you allow yourself to be government dependant. Me, I'm fully self sufficient and although a crappy economy hurts my ability to earn a living, I'll survive without having to riot in the streets demanding that Uncle Sam come pay for my education, or housing, or healthcare or retirement.

I'll also sleep good tonight knowing I'm paying all my bills and some of yours.
I was thinking now here is a good idea and then you threw in all that other crap.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Only so much they can do controlling one chamber of Congress and a veto pen waiting.

WAIT for 2012 - the country will be ready to throw obama and the dems out and then, we can get things done.

They've passed the bills they said they would pass.
except the problem seems to be that they don't have enough votes right now and they are the majority. Don't you find that funny?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
except the problem seems to be that they don't have enough votes right now and they are the majority. Don't you find that funny?
This mess clarifies, if it wasn't clear before, why the TP contingent needs to go.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM

773 posts, read 503,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
It wasn't compromise at all that is why it was DOA when they wrote it and when it went to the Senate. They knew it wasn't going up for a vote but they wasted time.
Proper protocol is to debate it, amend it and send it back for reconsideration.

Saying NO right off the bat as the dmes did, says it all about what their real goal is.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM

773 posts, read 503,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
This mess clarifies, if it wasn't clear before, why the TP contingent needs to go.

Actually no. The Tea Party has it right. It is the career politicians who had and have it wrong. If they had it right, we would not be in this deep now. Please stop listening to the talking points on TV.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Thanks to Congressman Franks anyone who votes for this bill is voting to make the Grand Canyon a toxic Waste Dump.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The only elections that matter are on the state and local level
I wish that were the case, but hopefully we can all work toward making it a reality.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I kept telling you guys. Expect nothing spectacular from the GOP, and expect them to flipflop on their campaign promises and, generally, not do much. I knew nothing much was going to change after 2010 and I was right. Just like electing a run-of-the-mill Republican is not gonna do much to change anything. Expect the same Progressive policy since FDR regardless which party is in power. The only elections that matter are on the state and local level
The GOP is trying to double-cross it's base (like usual), and the Frankenstein Tea Party won't let them!

GOP Establishment to Tea Party: "Ah c'mon, guys- you really didn't think we were serious with all that "Stop spending!" crapola, did you? That was just so we could sneak back into power. Haven't you ever heard of election rhetoric? "

I find all this amusing- the GOP trying to put the Tea Party monster back in its cage!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Let me understand.... The OP is upset the Repubs are cutting the budget?

These are the same rebups that under Regan took us from a deficit of about $979B and tripled that to $3T... Then under Clinton a surplus was created and spending under control... Clinton was the Democrat remember... Then under Bush the last Repub... the surplus was squandered in 1 year and our deficit went to 10.5T . Then he passed the wall street bailout before leaving office which pointed us towards another T of the debt, and the war which countered for another T

So you have a party that has done nothing but spend and squander and you think they will be the ones to cut and save? Ummm history just keeps handing you a different outcome and you act surprised..... Can we say dumba$$

Now you have the Repugs about to default the US which will be felt in your credit availability, the amount of interest charged on student loans, credit cards, homes, and cars. So the economy is about to come to a trainwreck halt. and I bet you will blame it on the democrats.... you know those that proposed a 3T in cuts and 1T in expiring tax breaks on those over 250k... and the repubs only wanted 2t in cuts...

the selective vision among repubs is amazing. I think the term is cognitive dissonance... good lluck with that "we are gonna cut and savey" thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies