Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM

773 posts, read 503,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
If you vote republican you are voting against your own interests that you laid out in your OP.
Same if I vote for a democrat when you consider spending, government control and wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
I believe in:
  • Limited (not zero) federal government, with more power to state government
  • A LOWER flat or fair tax, with zero deductions or loopholes
  • A limited, short term safety net only
  • No nation building
  • No occupational wars
  • If attacked, respond with overwhelming destructive force and then leave the smoke behind. No rebuilding
  • Legalizing, thus taxing, drugs
  • Legalizing, thus taxing, prositution
  • A guest worker program, NOT immediate citizenship
  • The mother AND the unborn being worth pretecting from harm
  • Equal opportunity, NOT engineered equal results
  • TERM LIMITS
  • A constitutional balanced budget amendment
  • Ending the Fed
  • Voter ID requirement
  • Ending affirmative action. Treat EVERYONE EXACTLY the same
  • Utilizing ALL our power sources
  • Total gay rights, including allowing marriage
  • Ending funding of ALL foreign countries
  • Allowing people to OPT out of the social programs (SS, etc) if THEY choose to
  • Ending federal involvment in schools
  • Bringing troops home and lining them up our borderS
Whig.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I think the instant citizenship refers to amnesty.
Correct. I am against that, but realize imigrants play an important role in our country and I don't blame most of them for doing what they are doing. That doesn't earn them citizenship though. They have to work for that.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 PM

591 posts, read 866,368 times
Quote:
I believe in:
  • Limited (not zero) federal government, with more power to state government
  • A LOWER flat or fair tax, with zero deductions or loopholes
  • A limited, short term safety net only
  • No nation building
  • No occupational wars
  • If attacked, respond with overwhelming destructive force and then leave the smoke behind. No rebuilding
  • Legalizing, thus taxing, drugs
  • Legalizing, thus taxing, prositution
  • A guest worker program, NOT immediate citizenship
  • The mother AND the unborn being worth pretecting from harm
  • Equal opportunity, NOT engineered equal results
  • TERM LIMITS
  • A constitutional balanced budget amendment
  • Ending the Fed
  • Voter ID requirement
  • Ending affirmative action. Treat EVERYONE EXACTLY the same
  • Utilizing ALL our power sources
  • Total gay rights, including allowing marriage
  • Ending funding of ALL foreign countries
  • Allowing people to OPT out of the social programs (SS, etc) if THEY choose to
  • Ending federal involvment in schools
  • Bringing troops home and lining them up our borderS
Makes you logical and sane. And not really aligned with any parties, although kind of right-leaning-libertarian except the gay marriage which is liberal.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't think that's fair. Some of us will vote for him in the primary, then we'll see what happens. We are not going to split the vote and get stuck with another 4 years of Obama. Hell no!
its fair because there is no difference between 2 democrats: obama and romney.

nothing is going to be any different if a mainstream republican is in the white house anyways. thats where people trip up.

all the republican will do is serve his one or two terms, get voted out, and replaced by a democrat. and back and forth.

sooner or later your going to have to actually stand for something and not vote for the status quo either way.

me and a recent hire were talking politics at work. he said who i liked. i said ron paul. he said he not only supported paul in 08, but he wrote in his name.

i respect that.

he didnt like obama, and didnt like mccain. he could've voted for mccain like phonies will for romney, but he doesn't buy into the crap from the GOP.

the truth is 4 years of obama isn't going to be any different then 4 years of romney or perry. all of them are just part of the system that has failed.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
What does this make me?

I believe in: .... [SNIP list of positions]
I'll go with the modern labels of conservatarian or perhaps paleoconservative, as what I think best describes your positions from the list given.... though perhaps leaning a bit more towards the former than the latter.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Sounds libertarian to me.
Libertarians wouldn't be for restricting abortion, term limits, or several other things the OP posted.

Sounds like a center right Republican to me. They are ok with restricting individual freedom, but are for limited government.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Libertarians wouldn't be for restricting abortion, term limits, or several other things the OP posted.

Sounds like a center right Republican to me. They are ok with restricting individual freedom, but are for limited government.
I didn't say I would stop all abortions, although I am personally appauled at the thought of them. I do believe an important part of government is to the protection from people who will intentionally do us harm. I feel the unborn deserve the same consideration, therefore an adult discussion needs to take place where people put down their shields and act like mature and responsible adults.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
I didn't say I would stop all abortions, although I am personally appauled at the thought of them. I do believe an important part of government is to the protection from people who will intentionally do us harm. I feel the unborn deserve the same consideration, therefore an adult discussion needs to take place where people put down their shields and act like mature and responsible adults.
Libertarians wouldn't support any limitation on abortions. Its government intervention.

Actually a federal libertarian would be for states making up their own rules on abortion.

I don't like abortions, which is why I won't get one. However, as a libertarian, I am not telling any one else what they can and can't do.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Libertarians wouldn't support any limitation on abortions. Its government intervention.

Actually a federal libertarian would be for states making up their own rules on abortion.

I don't like abortions, which is why I won't get one. However, as a libertarian, I am not telling any one else what they can and can't do.
Then I guess I am not a libertarian, democrat or republican. But any way you slice it, I think it IS a role of the government to protect from those who would intentionally do us harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies